Ultimate Subaru Message Board

when we first bought the 93 impreza....the brakes would shudder real bad to where it was be very noisey and annoying it would feel like there were about to brake....so i figured it had something to do with the rotors being warped or uneven wear or something regards to the brake lining....so i went ahead and changed the brake pads and rotor

and the annoying pulse and noise was gone....however just today i drove the car after a long time b/c the old lady drives it mostly and i noticed that the pulse is coming back not as aggresive but its there...

what should i do? bleed the brakes? change the calipers? im prolly going to go get the rotors resurfaced to see if that smoothes things out...but still how do i avoid this thumping b/s

thanks

-sean

check for uneven wear on the rotors... also you might consider doing a complete brake overhaul (sounds bad but is easy) you can order a brake rebuild kit from 1stsubaruparts and it comes with the rubber peices, and seals for your brakes.. it will make a huge difference with a change in pads and rotors (if needed)

DONT FORGET TO BLEED BRAKES PROPERLY

when we first bought the 93 impreza....the brakes would shudder real bad to where it was be very noisey and annoying it would feel like there were about to brake....so i figured it had something to do with the rotors being warped or uneven wear or something regards to the brake lining....so i went ahead and changed the brake pads and rotor

and the annoying pulse and noise was gone....however just today i drove the car after a long time b/c the old lady drives it mostly and i noticed that the pulse is coming back not as aggresive but its there...

what should i do? bleed the brakes? change the calipers? im prolly going to go get the rotors resurfaced to see if that smoothes things out...but still how do i avoid this thumping b/s

thanks

-sean

If it is minor, the resurfacing MAY take care of it. Though it is often better to get new rotors.

Also, it is possible to improperly torque wheels back on a car and 'warp' rotors.(I suspect this is rare)

Do any of the drivers of this vehicle brake agressively as a regular habit?

good info here;

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

she is bit harsh when it comes to braking......but why does this occur twice....we bought it with the problem from the original owner...then i replaced parts and its coming back

also with that whole torque thing causing warped rotors...how hard would u have to torque them to do that...sometimes i get a bit skeptical about how hard i tighten my lugs

torque the wheels to the spec. also tighten them in star pattern.

Hard braking can warp rotors, but you would have to be real hard on the brakes

Did you use OE, brand name or aftermarket rotors. What pads did you use?

nipper

just cheap napa brand for both

whenever i change wheels....i do the old tight enough as i dont have a torque wrench...

and i dont believe they had a long enough break in period..although when i first installed them i did do a couple slow brakes and things like that...but i didnt do it exact to what i've read on the website

haha and when it comes to harsh braking....theres no doubt in my mind that she could be the cause of it...for some reason she feels the need to get the to stopsign as fast as possible and then hit the brakes at the last second(gets it from her dad)

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

try there for rotors and pads. I am getting more and more disillusioned with the big chain sotres. Also try a mom and pop store and see what they get for them. The cheapo rotors may not like hard braking. Also when you buy pads always go up one step if they give you multiple choices (if not OE)

nipper

yea i figured it was b/c of cheap pads n rotors....but just wanted to make sure there werent any known problems with the brake system that might have caused this before i go ahead and spend money on some new brakes when the old ones only have 3000 miles on em

thanks for stayin up

-sean

you missed the most likely reason already mentioned...the caliper slides. when you do a brake job, make sure you always grease the slides.

did you clean and grease the slides the last time you did a brake job?

also possible - calipers sticking. i've rebuilt a number of calipers it's actually very easy. push the piston out, clean it up, replace one seal, a clip and the dust boot and you're done. for the first time i'd order a used caliper to practice on (if you get it right just swap calipers) and also buy two rebuild sets in case you tear the rubber boot on your first go around. at $10 or less rebuild kits cover both sides.

next time you're in there take note of all 4 pads (two on each side). compare them all and see if one is substantially more warn than the rest. any that are warn more than others are riding on the rotor too long and that would point to the slides needing to be greased or the caliper being sticky on that side.

:headbang: I haven't had any brake issues yet in my '06 Baja, but have had many warped rotor problems in the past with my last two trucks. A '94 Toyota 4x4 and a '01 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4. The Dakota's are infamous for warping rotors, the front rotors are just too small for that heavy of a vehicle.

Anyway, I use to notice warping problems sometimes after heavy braking when it was real wet outside, or driving in the snow. Clearly it was from me getting the brakes too hot, then they would get wet while braking and warpage would occur. I was able to avoid more problems by pumping the brakes in wet conditions (to dry them a little) or just keeping the brake pedal pushed down a little after getting them wet while still driving forward (again to dry them a bit). Also trying to not keep the pedal pushed down for a long period after a hard stop. The pads will hold the heat on that part of the rotor while the exposed part of the rotor is cooling down, thus causing warpage.

Don't know if this helps at all, but just some stuff I've learned from personal experience. I finally solved the Dakota's problem with aftermarket rotors (can't remember what brand). It cost about $400 but was well worth it as I had no warpage problems after that.

Spacinjason

'06 Baja Turbo:burnout:

you missed the most likely reason already mentioned...the caliper slides. when you do a brake job, make sure you always grease the slides.

did you clean and grease the slides the last time you did a brake job?

also possible - calipers sticking. i've rebuilt a number of calipers it's actually very easy. push the piston out, clean it up, replace one seal, a clip and the dust boot and you're done. for the first time i'd order a used caliper to practice on (if you get it right just swap calipers) and also buy two rebuild sets in case you tear the rubber boot on your first go around. at $10 or less rebuild kits cover both sides.

next time you're in there take note of all 4 pads (two on each side). compare them all and see if one is substantially more warn than the rest. any that are warn more than others are riding on the rotor too long and that would point to the slides needing to be greased or the caliper being sticky on that side.

i always greese the slides...but i've never taken the time to clean the piston where would i find the rebuild kit? would 1st subaru work?

-sean

i haven't had to look for EJ series rebuild kits yet so i don't know. i get EA series and XT6 rebuild kits from http://www.rockauto.com. local shops can get them as well, Beck Arnley seems to supply a decent amount of Subaru caliper rebuild kits.

subaru would be a good source and from memory i thought i saw that the OEM dealer kits for the EJ weren't that expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing not mentioned is the proper bed-in of the pads. Most pad manufacturers have specific protocals for breaking in the pads, which they provide with the pads. Usually it's several firm, but near stops; not full stops. Just driving on them can leave pad material deposited on the rotor, which in time and cause vibration.

Jack

Sounds like you've got a case of warped rotors as been said before. I've seen it happen just a week after a full brake job because people go racing around and then stomping on the brakes, as you mentioned she does. If they're not too badly warped, you can turn the rotors and be fine but if she keeps doing it, you'll need another new set of rotors in a few more weeks. Tell her to go easy on the brakes. Also, the stop sign isn't going to move so applying brakes further back from the stop sign will help lengthen the life of your brakes.

haha,,thanks for the reply better late than never but..i dont think her driving habits are going to change..honestly she scares the S*** out of me sometimes..

there should be a certain brand of car that is only made for driving that my g/f could buy...no cup holders, no loud radios, no a/c, no power options to play with...and no possibly way for cell phone coverage inside the vehicle.....however she does wear her seatbelt...i'll give her that, where as i hardly wear mine...i think she knows she needs to wear her seatbelt when shes driving

so now i dont know what to do...leave the brakes stay the pads have a ton of meat..not sure how save they are.....or change brakes and rotors with expensive subaru brand brakes...hoping that she wont ruin the good ones

any suggestions?

there is a car it's called a tank. join the army and learn to drive.

there should be a certain brand of car that is only made for driving that my g/f could buy...no cup holders, no loud radios, no a/c, no power options to play with...and no possibly way for cell phone coverage inside the vehicle.....however she does wear her seatbelt...i'll give her that, where as i hardly wear mine...i think she knows she needs to wear her seatbelt when shes driving

any suggestions?

there is a car it's called a tank. join the army and learn to drive.

if she can warp the rotors on a tank, then ist time to use mass transit :grin:

There is always the american tank, any 1969 full sized chrysler ford or a cadillac.

nipper