Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea81 Vs Ea82

this may have been discussed already,sorry if it has.What are the differences of Ea81 engines and EA82 engines?I have an 84 brat with a blown EA81 and I might be able to pick up a EA82 motor.both are non turbo carbs.Will they just bolt in or is there some work involved?I really want my brat to run so I can resume offroading it.

EA81s are pushrods and EA82s have timing belts (AND NOISY LIFTERS, at least mine:mad:)

I'd say stick with the EA81. EA82s are good motors, but the work might be too much, however you could get an ea82 SPFI with the ECU and harness (not for the non-mechanically inclined) and put it in. I think the engine would drop right in, and bolt up to the tranny without mods.

If you search for EA82 conversion, you should find a bit of info on this topic.

Basically, the EA82 will bolt up, but its wider, so you may have to pound some things.

If you really wanna have power without going Turbo, get an EA82 MPFI from an XT.

EA81 has no timing belt, it's a tab bit lower in stock HP.

It should be a direct swap, but you may need to look into the carb fuel computer. I am not sure if the EA81 one will talk to your Carter-weber carb.

If you are going to the trouble of swaping in wiring and such, you might as well look into doing an EJ swap.

But a lot depends on budget time and space.

EA82 swap is most definately the easiest on the engine swaps to do.

BW

If you're gunna go through the trouble of converting to an EA82 Turbo, may as well go for the EJ (Engines found in the legacies and etc.). You have to do all the same stuff as an EA82, plus get/make an adapter plate for the tranny, and get a flywheel drilled out for the EJ. Check the retrofit section. There's "How-to's" there.

EDIT: YOU BEAT ME TO IT S'ko!! :-)

both are carb motors and the EA81 has a weber 32/36!. the hell with the computer....

will the intake off the EA81 along with weber redline adapter fit the EA82?

Manifolds will swap, but you'd be happier getting the adapter kit to mount the Wber to the EA-82 intake.

EA-82 will fit into the car, it's tight, but no pounding of metal is involved. Had one in my '82 BRAT.

I'm a little short on time this AM, otherwise I could post up here all the steps in doing the swap. I'll try to get back on here after work tonight.

All that is said, is true, I just want to add that the Intake Manyfold of the EA81 is more restricted than the EA82 Manyfold, so, if you wanna install the Weber on the EA82, (I have one Wagon EA82 with the Weber 32/36, and it is soo Good! - Way Better than the original Hitachi carb.) just buy the adaptor plate to fit it on the EA82`s Manyfold...

They got them in this site:

www.webercarburetors.com

Also, I got a thread about how to fit that adaptor plate and the remainin` hoses. it is:

Maybe it can Help... Good Luck! :)

Here's a pic of the differences between the EA-81 and -82 manifolds.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c264/TomRhere/Weber%20swap%20on%20EA-81%20engine/EA-81EA-82Manifold2.jpg

Here's the EA-82 in my '82 BRAT, before the Weber.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c264/TomRhere/82%20BRAT/underthehood.jpg

Here's how close the engine is to the frame rails.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c264/TomRhere/82%20BRAT/EA-82framerailroom.jpg

To put the EA-82 engine into an EA-81 vehicle is as follows;

Pull the dead engine out of the vehicle following normal engine pulling methods.

After engine is pulled, you need to move the Hill-Holder valve towards the firewall the distance of it's mounting holes, (front bolt in rear hole). Or, get another Tee fitting and remove the H-H from the system. Your call there.

You also need to tweak the front most brake line on the bottom of the Master Cylinder, towards the strut tower. Be careful, not to much. This is to help disty clear the brake lines and stuff located there.

You can use the EA-81 flywheel on the EA-82 engine with no problem. Only thing you need to do is sit one flywheel on top of the other, align the mounting holes and bolt them together. This is so you can transfer the timing marks over to the EA-81 flywheel. Make sure you do both the ignition and T-belt marks, it will make your life so much easier down the road. Use the EA-81 clutch stuff with the EA-81 flywheel and bolt that all back together.

Keep all of the EA-82 clutch stuff around, so you can do the D/R 5-speed swap later....

When you're ready to drop the engine in, loosen the bolts for the brackets that hold the motor mounts to the engine. This will help you get the studs thru the crossmember. Once the studs are thru the X-member you can re-tighten those bolts. Before you tighten the lower nuts of the mounts, make sure the engine is centered between the frame rails. Only about 3/8" clearence as you can see by the link above.

You need to swap over the temp sensor and oil pressure unit from the old engine.

It's much easier to install engine if you pull the disty out 1st. Helps it clear the Master Cylinder during install. Miles Fox pulled the MC when he did one. Either way works, but disty is easier. Just be sure that you have engine at #1 TDC and mark disty prior to pulling it. Then get engine back to #1 TDC and drop it in after engine is in.

You'll need the EA-82 Y-pipe. Fits the rest of the exhaust like it belongs there.

You'll need to lengthen the 2 small wires from the coil to the disty, and you'll want the '85-'86 EA-82 disty if I recall things right.

You'll need to lengthen the fuel lines to the carb.

The EA-82 lower radiator hose fits the lower EA-81 radiator nipple like it was made for it. And you'll need another EA-82 lower hose for the upper radiator hose.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c264/TomRhere/Weber%20swap%20on%20EA-81%20engine/EA-82lowerradiatorhosePre-trim.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c264/TomRhere/Weber%20swap%20on%20EA-81%20engine/EA-82lowerhoseasupperhose.jpg

You'll have to do some trial and error with the throttle cable and it's mounting. The person that installed the engine in mine cobbled things together, and it really didn't work right.

Or, you can spin the Weber around 180* and do it like I did here in my EA-82 manifold with Weber on EA-81 engine swap.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c264/TomRhere/Weber%20swap%20on%20EA-81%20engine/Step9throttlecablemount.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c264/TomRhere/Weber%20swap%20on%20EA-81%20engine/Step8throttlelinkage.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c264/TomRhere/Weber%20swap%20on%20EA-81%20engine/Step7Altbracketmods.jpg

I think that covers it. Feel free to ask questions.

If i Threw a Weber On My EA82 Would That Maybe Help My Cold Starts A Little' date=' My Wagon Wont Move Untill You've Warmed It Up For At Least 10 Minutes....:confused:[/quote']

That could be your automatic - weber will help with the choke perhaps, but the automatic tranny not going into gear is something else entirely - probably the governor.

If it's just the choke, you can always powerbrake it - rev the engine a bit and then let off the brake.

GD