Ultimate Subaru Message Board

bored, took a couple flex pics

scrap487

awesome flex!!

your friend must be nuts sticking his head so close to a wheel lifted a couple feet off the ground with a shaky ramp jack setup:lol: :drunk::horse:

nuts... thats an understatement... this guy is indescribable as far as his mental state goes :lol:

oh I forgot to mention dont try flexing that much with your rear axles in :lol:

kinda surprised no one caught that

That's the first thing I saw, but I figure'd I'd at least read the whole thread before saying something.

If you pull off some flex like that while on it a little off road. . . You'll be changing out some axles. I'd recommend limiting straps.

Looks very cool though.

(that would be me who went thru and got rid of the PBR BS. Please take that stuff to OT. :) )

Say, did you every finish the video?

That's the first thing I saw, but I figure'd I'd at least read the whole thread before saying something.

If you pull off some flex like that while on it a little off road. . . You'll be changing out some axles. I'd recommend limiting straps.

Looks very cool though.

(that would be me who went thru and got rid of the PBR BS. Please take that stuff to OT. :) )

Say, did you every finish the video?

yeah, thanks, most people know about PBR and those who didnt now do... so good riddance. I dont think that will be a newbie topic that people will flame SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH!!! if it ever comes up. yea, I'm gonna grab some ea82 cups and see how much flex I can get away with, and then I will be getting some straps. the other thing I'm contemplating is having the local driveline shop(6 states) make me some rear axles using ujoints instead of DOJ and have a slip joint in the middle, but I fear those will be pretty spendy, my guess is around $250 axle, but that way I wont be having to replace the whole unit when I destroy something. I'm actually pretty impressed with how the IRS performs, I'm not a big fan of the IFS setup, but all in all when going over knarly stuff I feel I have a better grip/handle on it with this than I did when I had my solid axled heep of crap. and yeah I finished watchin the video, pretty bad arse. I might have some more stuff for you to add pretty soon if you want(give me a month or so).

the other thing I'm contemplating is having the local driveline shop(6 states) make me some rear axles using ujoints instead of DOJ and have a slip joint in the middle, but I fear those will be pretty spendy, my guess is around $250 axle, but that way I wont be having to replace the whole unit when I destroy something. I'm actually pretty impressed with how the IRS performs, I'm not a big fan of the IFS setup, but all in all when going over knarly stuff I feel I have a better grip/handle on it with this than I did when I had my solid axled heep of crap.

ive already contacted northwest drivelines (well, their CV division next door....) about making ujoint/splined slip shaft axles and YES, they are spendy. ive got about 12 good stock axles in my garage (that ive been scouring from PAP) that ill happily keep changing for the cash youd spend on 4 custom axles. :banana:

agreed. ive since gotten rid of the toyota solid axle swap idea that i was contempating due to the fact that i really like the feel and movement of the subaru independant. solid axles DO feel top heavy and bouncy. ive always hated that. im going back to my independant suspension with toyota tacoma coilovers plan.... then again, i might change my mind next week.... :rolleyes:

How do the lenght of the toyota coil overs compair the the subaru's? I have those 4" spacer blocks on the stock ones and it seems to me to be a waste. Might as well use that four inches to gain a little travel. I've been thinking of making some bracing for the top mounts too. As for the rear, im happy with torsion bars but am worried that if i lengthen the arms to the hubs (i dont like how when you lift them that the wheel isnt centered in the wheel anymore.) that the increased torq created by the longer arm would over whelm the torsion bars. I guess you could keep clocking untill you find a good match. All in all big flex is nice but i want smooth travel to be able to run rough trails as some speed (baha style).

David

How do the lenght of the toyota coil overs compair the the subaru's? I have those 4" spacer blocks on the stock ones and it seems to me to be a waste. Might as well use that four inches to gain a little travel. I've been thinking of making some bracing for the top mounts too. As for the rear, im happy with torsion bars but am worried that if i lengthen the arms to the hubs (i dont like how when you lift them that the wheel isnt centered in the wheel anymore.) that the increased torq created by the longer arm would over whelm the torsion bars. I guess you could keep clocking untill you find a good match. All in all big flex is nice but i want smooth travel to be able to run rough trails as some speed (baha style).

David

I clocked my torsion bar 1 notch which makes out to about 3"-4" of lift, and I dont have any problems with wheels not being centered in the wheel well.... if you have a problem with that it may be a lot easier just to move the whole torsion tube assembly back an inch or to rather than have to make new trailing arms and control arms. its the IFS that needs some serious modification to make work good... I'd try to adapt a nissan 720 front suspension w/ the torsion bars, it ROCKS, especially for high speed baja style stuff.

How do the lenght of the toyota coil overs compair the the subaru's? David

the toyota's coilovers are similar in length for the rear. you have to make totaly different mounts for the top but the bottom virtualy bolts right in. i havent COMPLETELY figured out the front yet. the way the stock strut slides into the hub assembly is baffling me as to how i would mount a bolt in pivoting style bushing mount into a slide in mount. you cant have any movement there and i havent figured it out yet.

as far as the rear wheels not being centered in the wheel well once you lift it..... the battlewagon's wheels are way forward with the lift i made. im gonna end up changing it when i make the subframe. if you think about it, you cant get away from that much if you drop the control arms a lot because your pulling the wheel forward on a pivot.