Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help Me! - EA82 Oil Pump...

Hi! :)

First of All: Thank you all for Reply this Thread.

I got a White Wagon with the EA82 -Weberized- that got above 225,000 Original Miles on it... and Now the Oil Pressure did Drop Down too much from its usual Average... So the Hydraulic Lifters are Singin´ the "Tick of Death" Song now, and they just quiet untill I rev. the engine up about 3,000 R.P.M.´s or more for a while, when Oil Pressure Start Goin´ up. At Idle speed (Around 700 R.P.M.´s) Oil Pressure Needle is Dead :mad: !!!

So, since I did Resealed it around the mid 90´s decade, (I´m not sure which year) when same thing happened, but now is even Worse, I think now is Time to Change the Whole Pump. This is the Point where I need your Help.

The Engine is a 1985 Carbed (Weberized) Californian EA82... Here, the Only Place to buy an Original Oil Pump, is the Dealer... but it wants Around $ 200.ºº (Two Houndred U.S.A. Dollars) for it... (Here it is about L. 4,000.ºº Honduran Lempíras... it means too much money for me :-\ ) So I just wanna know a Few Things before I start removin´ my Subie´s Oil Pump:

1. Is $ 200.ºº an Reasonable price for a New Original Oil Pump?
  2. Which is its Part Number?
  3. Is there a Internet Place where I can Buy it Cheaper?
  4. If so: Which is the Link? :D
  5. Is there any non Original Replacement for it that performances Better or is Cheaper but Works as the Original one?
  6. Is true that I can put there an "Electrical Oil Pump" ( :eek: )? if its true: Which one and How?
  7. and finally: What else do you Suggest? ... Like if is Better Idea to buy the Dealer´s Original One, or an Aftermarket one...

Please help me... Any Ideas are Welcome! :)

Thank you soo much...

Best Regards.

JesZeK

I agree with GD. You need to call Jason at 1 866 528 5282, he's the Parts guy at a Subaru Dealership here in the US. Tell him its for a EA82 (He actually knows what that is) and I'm pretty sure he can ship it to you. He's mentioned to me a few times that he has shipped to different countries.

Thanx for All Replies!!! :)

Now I know how much is the Average cost of that Pump in U.S.A. ... Here is Twice or More... :-\ ...Well, I just want to Add two Last Questions:

Did you Got an Internet Link to the Webpage where I can buy that Pump? or Maybe an e-mail?

if not, I´ll call by Phone to Jason, as Turbone Said...

Thank you Soo Much! :burnout:

Not sure if the website is still active or not, they said they were not going to do internet ordering any more. But you can try 1stsubaruparts.com.

https://www.1stsubaruparts.com/partscat.html

But read this first.......http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56915&page=2&highlight=1stsubaruparts.com

You may want to make the call instead.

Well... I have readed the Thread that you posted here... Thank you!, Now I think that is Better Idea to call Jason... but seeing there, they refer as the Turbo and Non Turbo Models got Different Oil Pumps. :eek: Sooo...

A three new Questions has Come:

1. Is there any Difference Between the Turbo and the Non Turbo EA82 Engine´s Oil Pumps?
  2. Can I Put a Turbo Engine´s Oil Pump on a Non Turbo Engine?
  3. Is the Turbo Engine´s Oil Pump "Better" than the Non Turbo Engine´s Oil Pump?

Excuse me for too many questions... Thanx Again!

:)

• 1 month later...

Well... I was about to Call Jason ...

033102phone_1_prv.gif ... but then it Happens:

I was Drivin´ my Yellow Wagon, it was a fine weekend at the Island; Then I stopped the Subie nearby a Supermarket to buy Groceries... It was the Night of a Rainy day as usual this part of the year at the Tropics, ... at that time the rain was stopped, but the remainin´ water did fill up a small Hole in the way from my Parked Subie to the Supermarket; it was filled to the Top, exactly at the rest of the Pavement Level...

I don´t saw it, and This is the Result:

BrokedFoot.jpg

(You couldn´t Imagine the Enoumously Loud Yell... "OuCh!" along whith the Feeling that came with the mute sound in my Bones / Muscles: "CrAcK" ... It´s Horrible! ... So "Watch your Steps" )

Well... So that´s why I didn´t continued with the Oil Pump Stuff.... and Doctor said I need three months... half in bed (With leg up), half between bed and livin´ room, but no goin´ out.

Really I like to see how is now my White Wagon... (Due my to Job... My White Wagon stays with me, where I work & Live, and my Yellow Wagon Stays with my Parents, and I Drive it Weekends when I Go see ´em) ... Right now it have about a Month Abbandonned.

So I Think the Oil Pump trouble may get worse, due to the unused engine for a month... the question here is What do you Think ´bout?

Maybe I´ll Stay Disconnected from the web, ´cos I still must be at bed, untill I´m right. but I just want to Thank everybody for the nice cooperation I received here ...

thhappysignthankspinIPB.gif

• 7 months later...

Well... Hi Again!

This is a Li´l Update for this Thread.

I Didn´t buy the New Oil Pump, ´cos I don´t have Enough Money yet, I was Waitin´ untill Mid of this Year to Buy some things to Upgrade my Loyale Wagons, but Recently I Did some temporary Jobs to a Uncle who lives in

Tegucigalpa City (One of the Twin Cities that Make our Capital City) and he Heard the Horrible "Tick of Death" Song that my EA82 White Wagon does in every Semaphore (Traffic Lights) or in the Traffic Jams at Idle Speeds for more of four Minutes, due to the Bad Oil Pump, When the Pressure Dies.

So, he instead of Pay me in Money, he Ask me if I want a New Oil Pump as Payment, Well... I Accepted! :D ... Even if it Means No money for Gas / Food for the Trip back... :-\ ...But my White Wagon is Worth it!

So, the past Weekend I came back to the Town where I´m Workin´ with the New Oil Pump for my EA82, and Right Now, I will install it on my Subie! :)

EA82NewOilPumpOilFilter.jpg?t=1173283771

So, I want to Share some Pics of the Process I´m Doin´ I love to Share Pics! :) They Worth Much Words...

First, I "Cleaned" Internally the Oil Passages of the Engine with Motul´s Engine Clean, Pourin´ it right to the Old Oil, Idlin´ the Engine for 15 Minutes, and then Drained all Out.

MotulEngineClean.jpg?t=1173284495

Then I Taked out the Radiator, External Belts, Timin´ Belt Covers, Timin´ Belts, etc...

EA82BeforeOilPumpChange1.jpg?t=1173283785

Then, I Will Clean it All, After the New Pump´s Install...

EA82BeforeOilPumpChange2.jpg?t=1173285172EA82OilPumpsBase.jpg?t=1173285190

This is How it Looks Right Now, with the Old Oil Pump Out:

EA82OldOilPump.jpg?t=1173283797

Well... I´m Gonna Clean it Now, Then I´ll be Back to the Forum, so Any Advice Will be Wellcome!

Wish me Luck!

:burnout:

Thank You!

When I came back Town this Past Weekend, I was Happy for the New Oil Pump, And I did Open the Box and Taked it Out of the Plastic Bag where it Comes, And then, I Discovered that the New Oil Pump Didn´t Came with the two Gasket that it Needs! :mad:

I was Far Away from the Capital City (Where the Dealer is) so I asked to my Uncle to send me here those Gaskets (The "Mickey Mouse" one, and the Round One) by Bus... They came Early Today :)

Why a New Oil Pump didn´t Come Along with its Gaskets?

Well, I gotta Go Work in it now!

Thanx! :burnout:

Thanx for All Replies!

Already installed the New Oil Pump, and this is How it Looks Like:

NewOilPumpInstalled.jpg?t=1173301322

This new Pump came with the Low Oil "Light" Sensor, Not the Pressure Gauge Sensor, but I also Installed that one too, so Now the Oil Pump got Both Sensors.

:D

I´ll Try to Start it up later, when I Finnish to reinstall the Radiator, Belts, Oil Filter, new Oil, etc... So I come back Work in it Now.

Already Started up the Engine, and the New Oil Pump Performs Great!

:headbang:

JesZeK-SubaruEA82AnimatedEngine.gif

The car Runs Great Too, but I have two more Questions:

Since I Installed the New Oil Pump, the Engine makes Two New Different Sounds: First is a Whistling sound in the Background of the Normal Engine´s Noise, as a Turbo or a High revvin´ Electric Motor; it is more noticeable when I remove my foot from the gas pedal, and the Engine´s Revvs are goin´ Down.

The Second is Li´l weird, let me Explain:

Since I installed the Weber Carb, the Engine did "Scream" a Loud Roar when I press the Gas Pedal and it Opens its Secondary Stage, but that "V8" alike -or so- Sound was Hearing only with the Secondary opened; but Since I´ve installed the new Oil Pump, the Roar begns even a Low Rpm´s... I like that Sound very much, but in a low Rpm´s is New for me... So, the Question is:

is it Possible that I have Misplaced one Timin´ Belt Theet and now the Engine Performs Different?

It Feels soo Powerful, and it Starts inmediatly, So I don´t Know what Happened.

I Already Checked the Carb and Everythin´ and All seems to be OK.

What do you Think About?

This are two Pics of the New Oil Pump with both Sensors installed:

NewOilPumpwithBothSensors2.jpg

NewOilPumpwithBothSensors1.jpg

I´ll Search for the Wire for the Low Oil Light and Reinstall it.

The "Fartin´ Engine" Problem Persists... When it Reaches above of 4,000 Rpm´s in the Highway, if I press the Gas Pedal to the Bottom, the engine start to "Fart" and slow Down instead of Accelerate...

What do you Think ´bout?

I just moved the ignition Timin´ to 20º... I will Clean the Carb... (Maybe some Dirt Got into) and I´ll Try Race it Again... Any Advice will be Welcome!

Thanx! :burnout:

congrats on the job well done! as for the "farting" of your engine, the oil pump cannot cause this, so it must be something you did (didn't) when you removed the accesories around it

first off I would check the timing belts, they're easy to install wrong and will give you loads of mystery troubles, also clean you carb, some dirt may have gotten into it while working around it.

the whistling sound may be air trapped in you cooling system, are you sure it is fully bled?