Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 cowl induction hood?

i am in the process of making a cowl induction hood for my hatch. has anybody else done something simular? any pics? this one is going to be pretty large. currently i just have the shape marked out, i started cutting it with the sawzall, but that was to rough of a cut, so i am going to buy a thin cutting wheel for my grinder.... below are some pics. the cutting lines run parallel to the body lines on the hood. once i get it cut out, i`m going to use that same piece, and use some metal brackets to raise it up 3 or 4 inches, and then use sheet metal to box in the sides. it should look pretty sweet, i`ll post an after pic when its done. i was also working on a fiberglass hatch spoiler but the template got ruined by the rain:-\ i`ll post pics when the other one is made...

before pic:

cowlindo006.jpg

cut marked

cowlindo003.jpg

simular idea:

dddd.jpg

any feedback is appreciated

I think that's a very good idea, Jon. I'm not a big fan of hood scoops, so I think the cowl induction look could be a nice alternative. The shape you marked out seems to match the lines of the hood pretty well.

I wouldn't cut out the triangular front part though. I would just cut up to it (maybe a little past it) and then bend the flap upward 2 or 3 inches and then just patch the sides with two long skinny triangular pieces of sheet metal. That way it would be nice and sleek and you'de avoid the homemade laundry chute look.

thanks for the input guys:headbang:

Ryan, i too thing it is a nice alternative to a scoop, scoops are all over, these you see once in a blue moon. i like your idea better for the front, i'll give that a try. i was thinking the front might look a little tacky with 2 pieces of sheet metal. i am going to smooth out the seams with bondo on the sides. i think it will look pretty cool with it, kind of a muscle type look. it'll say SUBER-SLOW on the sides of the induction:burnout: now i just have to find a chevy ss emblem for the rear hatch:D with a loud exhaust, people will look at it and think there is a v8 under the hood haha

Jon

archemitis has one on his hatch. pretty sure it was a generic, plastic or fiberglass one out of a catalog, but he did cut the hood out from underneath it.

and he had origionally thought about doing sort of a shaker idea with the H6 emblem on the intake manifold of the ER27 sticking up out of the hood

the chevy guys tell me its off of some trans am or camaro. it said 396 or something when i got it.

lowered my engine bay temps, and the coolant temp, when im offroading all slow.

but runing with no hood is the best for coolness... but i have an h6 so not everybody is doing it out of necessity, just for looks is cool too :headbang: