Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rings/whistle during acceleration

I've noticed in my 2001 OBW 2.5 L 4-cyl. AT some noise (rings/whistle) during acceleration. It comes from under the hood area. There's no such problem on idle. When driving problem appears (regardless of speed) in rpm range >3500 and <5000. What puzzles me when I keep pushing above 5000 rpm whistle goes away... No problem with acceleration and rpm <3500. When trying to keep rpm at steady 4000 in the "whistling area" whistle goes away. It comes back when trottling... Anyone has any idea where the issue could reside?

Thnx in advance?

Hmm. I posted the exact same problem about a year or so ago. 2002 OBW 2.5-4. I still haven't found the cause, I thought when I replaced my headers that would do it, nope. I am scheduled for the 105K timing belt replacement, and what ever else. I haven't changed the belts, but they seem to look ok.

I think that it may be a small exhaust leak where the headers join the cat.

oh well, no other problems runs great 24mpg.

WOW, if you can hear rings whistling, your hearing is better then any dog I know. With all that other noise from the exploding gasoline/air mixture, you can pick out the rings whistling, that is truly amazing.

Sounds to me that you'd better check out the other possibilities before you start pulling the engine apart to check the rings.

The whistle come in at 3000 to say 4500 under moderate to heavy load right?

It comes from the Muffler(rear) , now your saying it can't be it sounds further up.Try driving the car with the rear hatch open and you might have a different opinion . I usually get 2-3 complaint a year , mostly on Impreza's but some Legacy's

hope this helps

SEA#3

you can pick out the rings whistling.

I had a funny whistle on my wagon, i eventually tracked it down to a loose joint in my exhast. I could never hear it above 5000rpm but with my foot on the gas at about 3k it would show up. You Might wanna hop underneath your car on a cold morning and look for steam from any of the exhaust welds.

KELTIK

It's either an exhaust problem or a transmission problem. I think it has to do with catalytic converters. But I have heard some jingling noises come from a bad auto tranny before....

thnx all for thoughts... I inspected all the air way to throttle plate, BTW replaced air filter, all seem to be OK. Found some oil deposit in intake manifold but that's another story... Will replace PCV valve... SuBrat84 could you give me more details about "some jingling noises come from a bad auto tranny before" i.e. how to link jingle sound to AT transmission possible problems... actually I can hear some little jinglings when putting some load... cannot specify where they're coming from... but got them for year... are kind of subtle and last for a while... never paid attention to that since car was running great... actually still is... only that acceleration whistle gets me worried... some little jingle have had always (since bougt that car), acceleration whistle that's something new...

Will inspect my exhaust... and keep updating...

thnx all for thoughts... I inspected all the air way to throttle plate, BTW replaced air filter, all seem to be OK. Found some oil deposit in intake manifold but that's another story... Will replace PCV valve... SuBrat84 could you give me more details about "some jingling noises come from a bad auto tranny before" i.e. how to link jingle sound to AT transmission possible problems... actually I can hear some little jinglings when putting some load... cannot specify where they're coming from... but got them for year... are kind of subtle and last for a while... never paid attention to that since car was running great... actually still is... only that acceleration whistle gets me worried... some little jingle have had always (since bougt that car), acceleration whistle that's something new...

Will inspect my exhaust... and keep updating...

Four things come to mind:

Vacuum Leak

Exhaust leak

Exhaust heat shield rattle

Someone installed a turbo when you wern't looking

Could your jinglings be engine pinging which sometimes sounds like chains rattling? This would occur under load.

actually I can hear some little jinglings when putting some load... cannot specify where they're coming from... but got them for year... are kind of subtle and last for a while... never paid attention to that since car was running great... actually still is...

Not having heard your whistle, it might not be the same as mine (97 OBW); but mine whistles under load in that RPM range and it is because the airbox doesn't seal correctly. My local mechanic says he's seen several that do this. Anytime I accelerate hard or on a hill, I'll get that whistle until I back off the gas..... Nothing to worry about - I assume it actually probably helps me repel deer!