Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Problems Installing Lift

carfreak85

I bought an 81 hatch that was fitted with a BYB lift kit. That car is on its way to subaru heaven right now and I am in the process of swapping the lift to an 85 hatch. Both EA81s. Now my problem is this: BYB's web site states that the kits are to bolt in and not require any cutting. For the rear upper shock mounts, this is not an option. The 81 has some metal surrounding the shock cut away. Also, the rubber pad between the torsion bar mount and the body is much thicker on the 85 than on the 81, and it doesn't appear to be age related either since the 85 has a higher mileage chassis than the 81. Has anyone else had these problems or could it just be because of an antique lift kit? All the blocks and spacers look to be in excellent condtion except for some minor surface rust.

You mean problems like this:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61260

I had a problem the rear bushings on my hatch being thicker than my wagons.

And as far as the shock mounts, i did away with them and got Gabriels. Autozone has them for $18 a piece, and i like having brand new shocks. These are from a '74 Chevelle and mount up, but are 3" longer than stock so it does away with the shock adapter.

Let me know if you want a part number on the shocks.

-Brian

You mean problems like this:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61260

I had a problem the rear bushings on my hatch being thicker than my wagons.

And as far as the shock mounts, i did away with them and got Gabriels. Autozone has them for $18 a piece, and i like having brand new shocks. These are from a '74 Chevelle and mount up, but are 3" longer than stock so it does away with the shock adapter.

Let me know if you want a part number on the shocks.

-Brian

Do they have any better brands than Gabriel for the 74 Chevelle ? I have gabriels now and I'm really not impressed with the everyday driving on them and my hatch is stock height as it stands.

Hatches, Brats, and Wagons are all different in the rear when it comes to shock mounts. Even if they use the same shock.

No cutting is required. The BFH is your best tool. Just beat them back until the bottom of the "U" fits. That is the better option.

I'll stand by my belief that the stock shock's travel is best suited for these little cars. Longer travel shocks are when you start busting stuff more. ie: axles and stubs (or you're not wheeling it that hard)

I sent PK an email to see what he says on the subject, but who knows when I'll get a response. I'm still torn between the longer shock and beating the body. Zap, do the stock shocks actually limit the travel of the rear suspension? Why else do you run the stock rears?

I sent PK an email to see what he says on the subject, but who knows when I'll get a response. I'm still torn between the longer shock and beating the body. Zap, do the stock shocks actually limit the travel of the rear suspension? Why else do you run the stock rears?

The stock shocks do not limit the travel - it's limited by the bump stops on a stock setup. The shocks can actually be damaged internally if you compress them hard till they bottom out.

Since with the PK setup you are lowering the diff as well, the axle angles are still stock, and slightly positive at normal level driving. This means that you will be able to compress more as with a stock height soob they never get compressed much beyond level due to the bumpo stops. With the addition of some EA82 DOJ cups they can stretch quiet a bit more, and you can go negative on the compression without harming them - it's the same as extending downward as far as forces on the axles is concerned.

Best combination would be the longer travel shocks, and lower the bump stops to limit your compression to a safe amount. Also adding some limiting straps to limit the down travel would prevent over-extending the axles in either direction. Again - EA82 DOJ's will help tremendously with the maximum operating angle - just remember they aren't any thicker, so you are at a greater risk of damage the larger you make the max angles.

Speed is also a consideration - a lead foot will break axles when they are at higher angles. The larger the angle, the more torque the shaft has when it changes speed abruptly (such as a high speed wheel spin into a rock). Think of it as a wrench handle - the longer the wrench, the bigger the bolt you will be able to use it on, or in this case twist in half. As the angle grows, the lever arm effect becomes more pronounced, and will overcome the strength of the DOJ cup at high torque.

GD

Theoretically, (like GD said) you should be able to compress the shock and axle angle the same as the angle if fully extended, hanging the axle in the air. The rear torsion should help stop extended travel as well as the shock. Bump stops could be added (2" would be fine) to limit compression travel, but I dont think that angle is ever more than the extended angle with the BYB kit keeping static neutral.

My shock research concurrs with Brian AND the fitment for 1995 Buick Roadmaster is similar but with more travel availalble. *** double check before buying. I have a set for my Brat, but they're not installed yet - lift kit on floor in garage.

New EA81 kits have shocks not horseshoes,... seems a better solution.

r/ PK.

I have also heard that the shocks off of a 97-01 TJ Wrangler with the 2.5" Rancho shocks will work with some minor modification. Part # RS5241. It is kinda spendy, but they are apparently a better fit than some of the other options. Anyone else tried this?

I have also heard that the shocks off of a 97-01 TJ Wrangler with the 2.5" Rancho shocks will work with some minor modification. Part # RS5241. It is kinda spendy, but they are apparently a better fit than some of the other options. Anyone else tried this?

I have 'em on mine, but that's with a 3" body lift and the torsion bar clocked a notch...

How close are they to bolting in? Are they worth the extra cost over standard Monroes for a chevelle and where is the best price you can find? How is the ride considering they are for a jeep?

the ride is stiff because I have the torsion bar clocked.

I think when I spec'd them out, it was taking into account the 5" of lift achieved with the blocks/torsion bar... I don't remember the specs any more.... I think it's the same amount of mods as the chevelle shocks.

I got my Ranchos at a local off-road store, but they still had to order them....

don't even remember what they cost....

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=MON&mfrpartnumber=55802&parttype=50&ptset=A...... go to "see all vehicles this product fits"

spaclear.gifspaclear.gifjust a comparison.the shocks PK is talking about are the same shocks that folks have been talking about for the chevelle and several others. and the 5241's by rancho are a good bet. i did not like the ride due to carrying alot of work related heavy stuff(500 pounds approx).i only took them offroad once and was satisfied.but like i said,only once.i have had edelbrock shocks for a lifted jeep,rancho's for a lifted jeep,rancho's for a lifted chevy truck(way to long)monroes for a sube,kyb for a sube and gabrielle's for a sube.by far the monroes and kyb's rocked it for what i need as far as work was concerned.the rancho's had a damn nice ride when i was unloaded.i think they are worth it.but once again i only got to take them offroad once......the biggest thing about the rancho's is that they are a push and pull type of action.which makes the dampening really sweet.the edelbrocks were gone in a few weeks just from jobsites,and roads to jobsites.that was a waste of time and money.the acton without the horseshoe is definitely worth a shot.it is a tad different for sure.

• Like 1

WOOOHOOOOO!! Just picked up the ranchos! :banana: :banana: Wont have time to fiddle with them until later this weekend, but another little niggling problem has arisen. How the hell do I get the shock bellows over the top mount of the shock? Do I even need to run them or can I leave them off? I'd like to get them on if at all possible, but if you guys reassure me then I'll just throw them on and forget about it.

*EDIT* Finally got them on with a little soapy water and a lot of patience.