Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Many of you mayy have read my post about the 91 loyale sedan that I found in mint condition with 80k on it....

I also found a 93 Legacy LS awd Wagon with 156k on it, but it has been meticulously maintained....

Which should I buy as a daily driver??? Which is going to be more reliable and safer to drive on the highway????

I NEED HELP :confused: :confused: :confused:

Both cars are in the 1500 dollar range.

sometimes too low a mileage is a bad thing. Subarus like to be driven, at 80,000 miles your going to need to do the entire front of the engine as soon as you start driving it like a normal person. You dont say if they are auto or manual. Sometimes low mileage cars are not that well maintained as people go by the mileage and not the calander.

nipper

Nipper - the guy who bought it went by the calendar and had a complete tuneup done when he bought it back in feebruary..he's just unable to have 2 cars right now and thats why he is selling it....It has new axles, cv joints, all sorts of things that he probably did not even need to replace....He drives it every day and it's fine....it's the old lady who drove it before him that didnt drive it much...does that help?

If the Loyale lives up to its reputation, there should be enough oil leaks to rent your services to reseal asphalt driveways. The engine is powerful enough but the seals leak and this one is old enough to be time worn.The Legacy wagon seems a better bet for room and vintage.

Nipper - the guy who bought it went by the calendar and had a complete tuneup done when he bought it back in feebruary..he's just unable to have 2 cars right now and thats why he is selling it....It has new axles, cv joints, all sorts of things that he probably did not even need to replace....He drives it every day and it's fine....it's the old lady who drove it before him that didnt drive it much...does that help?

I had an 85 wagon ( non fuel injected ) but the same body and 1.8L guts. It has a distributor and 2 cam belts. Although it was very reliable, it required more service and the engine did leak oil.

I also owned a 90 Legacy AWD wagon that I replaced that 85 with. It was the 2nd best car I ever owned. It was totaled in 1996 on the NY Thruway. My wife walked away without a scratch. At that time it had 186K miles on it, and other than 1 full set of brakes ( it was a 5 speed) and normal maintanence, I replaced the water pump and 1 front axle (failed CV joint).

My choice would be the Legacy hands down.

hmm that changes tings...maybe i will buy it over the legacy with 156kon it.

Not so fast there, Danbob! They're both fuel injected.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Loyales were SPFI (single port) and Legacies are MPFI (multi port).

I had a pair of '85 Subies--same body and 1.8 engine as the Loyale but not fuel injected--and I dearly loved those cars. But in retrospect they were no match for the 2.2L Legacy . . . more room, more oomph and less oil on the driveway. Many of us feel the "bulletproof" EJ22 engine is the best that Subaru ever produced.

Both good cars, subject to age and condition. So my suggestion would be to test drive them both before making a decision.

Good luck.

unbelievable... you are in the cat bird seat!!!!!! pick the one you think runs, drives, feels better. go and work the best deal you can. work it hard, try and get it for nothing!!!! tell him there's another in better condition for less. if you can't get the one you want.... go buy the other.

i prefer legacy, better engine, you can drive it 100k without problems. by then you'll be ready to move up to a 95!!!!!!

truth be told, i don't know loyales.

john

Not so fast there, Danbob! They're both fuel injected.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Loyales were SPFI (single port) and Legacies are MPFI (multi port).

I had a pair of '85 Subies--same body and 1.8 engine as the Loyale but not fuel injected--and I dearly loved those cars. But in retrospect they were no match for the 2.2L Legacy . . . more room, more oomph and less oil on the driveway. Many of us feel the "bulletproof" EJ22 engine is the best that Subaru ever produced.

Both good cars, subject to age and condition. So my suggestion would be to test drive them both before making a decision.

Good luck.

you guys are under the mis-conception that ALL loyales leak oil, thats not true at all. some leak a little, some leak a little more, some leak none at all. i have had many ea81s, and ea82s that leaked very little or non at all. its not like a stream of oil will come out, even if the leak is bad, that will only happen if you have no valve cover gaskets at all.

the loyale will feel quicker, as it is a 5sp and doesn`t have the 4wd crap weighing it down. both are non-interference engines, so if the timing belts break, no bent valves.

hell, i`d sell you my car for $1450, and its a 1987 GL hatch rust free from WA state, 4wd dual range (hi/lo), stick, ea81 (no timing belts, timing gears) carbed, near mint interior, new tires on wide alloy wheels, 140k miles, etc, etc. for an extra 50, i`ll throw in a spare motor, tho this one runs exellent. oh, it has good working a/c, am/fm radio cass. and cruise control. i`m only an hour from somers.

the only reason i am considering selling it is because i need a truck, either a toyota p/u or a brat.

sorry for the hijack btw;)

Hey 75,

I would love to buy your car but taking that thing to the Bronx every day would be sad....I'd be sad driving such a nice piece of history down there and kicking the crap out of it like that. Plus....I am looking for 1990 or newer on anything I buy and it HAS to be fuel injected.

I am talking to my mechanic tomorrow about the Loyale. If he says to walk away from it I am walking...if he says to take it I am taking. I know that the oil leaking is more like oil seeping in the 1.8 motor. I love the 2.2 liter motor because it reminds me of a non-turbo version of my WRX, but they are hard to find for 2k or under.

BTW here's a taste of the reason why I need a commuter car :-) She's got 60k on her, and is only an 04. She's also faster than an STi off the line:headbang:

DSCF0058.jpg

DSCF0061.jpg

wow!! that wrx looks awesome! that is amazing that its faster than a sti. my pops friend works at dch subaru, so me and him got to drive the demo sti, and man that thing was a rocket. i dogged a regular rex with his 91 vette tho, that was almost embarassing for subaru lol:lol: if you make it to one of the subaru meets, like the marcus dairy cruise or something, let me know i`d go too!

i hate to sound like i`m trying to push my cars on you, but i do have another car for sale, not sure if your a honda guy lol. its a 89 crx dx auto with cold a/c and no rust. pgfi fuel injection, all original heres a quick pic:

rex006.jpg

I am ALWAYS at the subaru meets...I am one of the most active members in Tri-state. Just havent been as much so lately because of the whole getting a job thing LOL. TELL ME ABOUT THE CRX!@#$%^ It looks AMAZING!

Tell me everything...milage, price, if it needs anything...etc, etc....

well, it has 220k, but please don`t let that scare you. it runs great, so good that i am amazed the motor is original. i`d bet it`ll be good to go for 100k more easilly. the motor is very clean in and out. has a new alt and exhaust. tires are good. a/c works great. interior is pretty good also. car still drives nice and tight. it was well taken care of. a 50 yr old women from georgia was the original owner, and this car was her baby, she drove it everyday 50 miles or something. it has a cargo cover and lockable floor compartment to hide your stuff in. i put a new axle on it, but now it seems to click lightly on hard right turns, not sure why, might be defective, but it is ONLY noticed on hard right turns, this should still be fine for a while anyway, but may need replacing in the future if it starts clicking loudly when going straight. that is the only problem i can think of. it is really in great shape, and an exellent commuter car. these get around 35mpgs especially with the auto because it won`t rev as high.

more pics:

rex007.jpg

rex008.jpg

rex002.jpg

rex001.jpg