Ultimate Subaru Message Board

In the last few months I had reason the chase down a water leak in the roof of my 02 OBW LTD. It turned out to be a shrinkage of sealant material around the sunroof opening that was wicking in the water. Regardless, I dropped the headliner and originally thought that the water might be coming in around the 6 anchor points of the roof rack. It wasn't, but the dropped headliner revealed that the roof racks are held on by 3 bolts each, each of which are fastened with a 10 mm nut. Not much heft for something that might be of some protection in a roll over. Obviously they were designed for holding gear onto the roof, and that's it. On the same note, I once owned a 77 Corvette that stated in the owner's manual to ensure that the spare tire was properly inflated and stored underneath the rear end up between the mufflers in a fibreglass holder. The reason? .... for protection in a rear end collision! I had a laugh at that one. In a rear ender the tire would have deflated or been ejected through the fibreglass shell in an instant. Some protection that would have been!

Somebody rolled over one of my Subaru Legacy Wagons down a bank and it rolled upright again and was driven away OK.

The roof was dented in but I jacked it out.

Do you think the roof bars are protective in a roll-over?

I don't have any real knowledge on this one; But my guess is :these are to protect the roof from things you plan to transport, moreover to make the car look cool.

John

....the reason? .... for protection in a rear end collision! I had a laugh at that one. In a rear ender the tire would have deflated or been ejected through the fibreglass shell in an instant. Some protection that would have been!

This is the same reason subaru used to have the spare tires under the hood!

the spare tires since the collision tests started have become important parts of the crumple zones. They can affect the way a car absorbs an impact. They were under the hood to absorb an impact, now in the trunk do the same thing. i liked them better under the hood :)

nipper

Roof racks are more likely to weaken the shell's structure than reinforce it. mounting holes perforate the shell, and the bars will concentrate loads into the unreinforced sheet metal rather than the natural spreading of load of the flat(ish) roof surface.

...77 Corvette that stated in the owner's manual to ensure that the spare tire was properly inflated and stored underneath the rear end up between the mufflers in a fibreglass holder. The reason? .... for protection in a rear end collision! I had a laugh at that one. In a rear ender the tire would have deflated or been ejected through the fibreglass shell in an instant. Some protection that would have been!

There is a difference between stiff structure and "crumple zone". The spares are not meant to be stiff structure, they are meant to absorb/disipate some of the collision energy. Stiff structure (think "battering ram") would help the car to stop quicker when it hit something, but the occupants would keep moving until they impacted said structure or restraints. Tires and crumple zones allow the slowing process to be spread over time, softening impact (lower "G"-loading).

[...]I had a laugh at that one. In a rear ender the tire would have deflated or been ejected through the fibreglass shell in an instant. Some protection that would have been!

Well, "in an instant" is just how fast air bags operate on more-modern cars. (No, I'm not directly comparing the efficacy of the tire and bags.) The fiberglass 'Vette body offered little in the way of "crumple zone", so the air-filled donut and wheel rim likely added to crash protection by absorbing energy and/or improving body integrity, and every little bit helps.

EDIT: Ahh, NorthWet posted while I composed.

I always loved the under the hood spare! I wondered though, did the heat shorten the tires life span?

John

not really, the tires get just as hot driving down a arizona highway in summer, in fatc its probably less tressful as there was no load on them.

nipper