Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is "highest mileage" world record?

I found this at guinness book of world records website...

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/content_pages/record.asp?recordid=43579

It is not only preposterous - it gave no details on what stayed original to acheive it.I bet it is just the odometer and thicker irons constantly rebuilt on the old way out-of-balance inline 4 :mad:

I am just 33 years old, being brought up around long running over-the-road tractor trailers,to gain a strong opinion about vehicles- and what truly strong *IS*.I have gained a factual opinion to be proved. this question *really* had to be answered-

"what is the longest running, non-rebuilt, all oem gas engine?"

I have spotted a few even in my own time, that proved to be phenomonal.

The very small-for-a-v8 engines from the late 60's were known to "rack over" the 5 digit mile odometers several times.

My own mother had a 68 ford falcon (289 c.i. v8) that reached 300k+ on a 2 speed powerglide transmission in massachussetts all on 13 inch underestimated wheels (the body completely died- still running with an overheat when I was a small boy in the 70's).The car used to "diesel" after shuttin it off .

My mother laughed "I love this car, it just wants to keep on running."

A friend local here had an old bmw straight 6 that still "burned the tires" at over 250k miles all original. (on another note- he payed 1500 bucks for it, to find a $28,600 car invoice from 1986 hidden in it - today that car would be called an "m3"):eek:

Of course my true vote, really needing to be documented somehow, is the smaller n/a EA82.

I found 2 so far with the highest mileage I had never heard of, all original, unrebuilt in an EA82 wagon. one was 316k miles and for sale at a local dealer, inspected, ready to go at the road again (I would love to know where that one is today - that was found, oh, 8-10 years ago)

The other was on ebay, I thought may have been odom in kilometers (it was indeed miles) from canada with 360k miles in a ea82 wagon.

I'm sure some here would agree with me - it is quite possibly an undocumented EA82 with a world record. Some other notes would be, that to be acheived, the car is in the cool northern tier of this world- being garaged away from the bad winters that kill the body.:)

It is so very likely...

I did learn of some other facts that went with long running cars.

1. The suspension in the back was level or even "drooping" - not appealing to look at by some strange standard that the car jacked up in the back is "cool" (I would swear that came from america's 1960's to influence all over the world as a retarded opinion.):mad:

2. The power to weight ratio was huge, to go along with the same driveline as the same cars "bigger" options, and hindered by CFM, *not* lowering gears.(small car , big engine)

3. Always had a tight exhaust system.

4. The engine is "true" balanced - 90 degree v8, flat four. (there has been freak encounters with an inline 6 "vibrating" its way to high mileage)

5. cooling , by oem, or whatever, was well beyond needed (by normal standards of oem)

6. wheels were steel (very bizarre thing to notice)

7. garaged for the body (even then- I have seen some high mileaged daily driver go to broken in half) :)

8. high compression n/a intake

9. many parts going with a heavier duty version by oem standards

10. very good grounding electrical, stays ambivalent.

By my own realistic thought- a 2wd standard tranny sube should be a candidate, but the egr, cooling killed the thought as well as no driveshaft bouncing the perfectly balanced engine into anghles that should not be happening for longevity. I am convinced it is a boxer four however with the highest mileage.

i saw a chevy S-10 the other day with 560k and it was still running! 4.3 v6!

i don`t think cars can ever compete with semi trucks though:-\ semi's are always on the road and racking up miles. its not uncommon to see some with over 800k with cummins, mercedes, or cat diesels.

I have had two Honda Accords with over 300k on the clocks when I sold them to their next owners. The 1990 EX I got off my brother, who bought it off my mom, had 336k on it when I sold it. Two years later the guy totalled it but said the engine still ran like a top... at 401k miles. That's the most I've ever heard of on a car that I know the complete history of and know the engine was never rebuilt; if fact, aside from timing belts, I don't remember ever having to touch that motor. It didn't use a drop of oil between 3k mile changes when I sold it, either.

soderberg99Outbackodom_s.jpg

Check it. Original engine.

http://www.subaruhighmileageclub.com/

Wow. thats over 501k miles. and it is indeed documented - I hope they Keep it running! That's incredible! On a model of sube I would never ever have guessed, or put faith into.....

I noticed he could only use his left foot, ironically I could only use my right (disability) :lol:

My 83 Hondacoughgag Accord had 525,000 miles on its original engine...when the tranny went....still had 1st so the junk yard used it for a yard car for 2 more years before it finally died. I cannot say the motor was never rebuilt..I was the cars 4th owner and the person I bought it from swore it was original but it ran too good to not have been rebuilt at some point.

just out of curiosity, how hard is it to drive a manual with just your right foot?

I never wanted to answer this question with too much "testosterone"...

As a disabled veteran who crawled off to accept his own misdiagnosed death, I stood my ground and let the nerves pinch to my gritting teeth, which in turn exploded several years later .. from the hellbent habit to go to a store and get my own damn milk - if it meant a spark plug running off my finger climbing up through my metallic leg.:confused:

I am much calmer than the aforementioned words...and now much healthier (AMEN) .. but hey... you asked .:)

i believe it. i have a 94 s-10blazer i beat the living ************ out of that truck it has seen 4ft of air on more than one occasion and it's still going strong with 192,000 on it

A man with a 80 somthing Pontiac 6000 Reached over 500k on the original 3.1 MPFI V6 and 3 speed auto. Theres a site somewhere talkin about it
now thats a miricile the 3.1 is junk

i don`t think cars can ever compete with semi trucks though:-\ semi's are always on the road and racking up miles. its not uncommon to see some with over 800k with cummins, mercedes, or cat diesels.

My first encounter with that engine was seeing the underside when they just came out, at a quik lube (I was the "grease monkey" in the pit). I had to shout out the conditions of the underside for company liability records.Having no idea it had 16k miles and the owner was in the work bay -I yelled "minor oil pan leaks , and the rods are clackin'". The topside guy said "your kidding" . I said "nope. there is something wrong." The owner was in disbelief too. I heard him say " I knew that damn crankshaft was a dud." Upon digging in to this on my own- it is by far the craziest out-of-wack crank design *ever* made by gm to attempt balance of a 120 degree firing six cyl on a 90 degree block. I don't know where you are getting the high mileages for that are- but around here engines really do *have to* be very balanced, nothing goofy, to be sparkin up again after just one winter- the 4.3 was and is a vibrating dud.:confused:

the 4.3 is a great motor, his must have just been defective. i`ve seen 4.3 astro's pulling 30ft trailers before with ease. i`ve also seen many astro's as fleet vehicles with over 250k. overall, its probly one of chevy's better motors, along with the iron dukes.

i believe it. i have a 94 s-10blazer i beat the living ************ out of that truck it has seen 4ft of air on more than one occasion and it's still going strong with 192,000 on it

now thats a miricile the 3.1 is junk

I dunno what your talkin about, but the 2.8/3.1 MPFI motors were awsome motors that are extremly durable and last forever. not to be confused with the 3100 engines, wich do suck because of thier Lower intake manifold gasket issues. 2.8/3.1 engines easily last 200k miles without using a drop of oil. and many make 300k if well taken care of, and thier 4 speed 44T04 Transmissions last well if properly maintained and not beat on.