Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Parts Car Heck!!!!!

So I buy this 92 Loyale Wagon. 134k miles bad auto tranny and dent in fender. Charcoal grey so the fender has been hard to find

Ask if anyone has a tranny. Can't find one. So I buy parts car with a good tranny. Haven't had time to install it or get rid of the parts car. I paid $100 and had to go get it in the boonies. Sold the hood and recouped some money, has decent tires so I will put those on another vehicle. High mileage so not much else worth saving.

Ok, so customer has a 234k charcoal grey 5speed bad intakes gaskets leaking oil from everywhere. So they buy an Outback from the dealership and get screwed on it. It has a baffle plate leak (non-new gen people, it is located between engine/tranny) so we reseal the baffle plate and take a look at the clutch, which was actually pretty worn out. So we replace the clutch while we are in there. Take $200 off the bill and get the charcoal grey parts car.

So now I have this Loyale and it has two parts cars to go with it. Am I crazy? Anyone else this stupid? I am trying to get rid of Loyales not buy more but somehow $100, or $200 worth of work seems like good deals.

I let a customer tow off a 88 GL w/ dual range, and he had gotten $150 for it. I was thinking. Darn, I would have paid $150 bucks for it.

They be a dime a dozen it seems these days. Just got a $100 '93 with a bad 4WD auto.

If I had the time I would start buying/fixing/selling the silly things. I'm almost literally in the same situation - I've got EA82's falling out my butt, and I'm starting to have a hard time finding EA81 parts :-\

GD

Ditto, I bought a couple EA82s from a guy in Talent, OR (near ashland) a while ago.

He calls me up today, 85 wagon, d/r 5spd (I think), runs, clean title, decent shape, 300k miles, $300.

He seems to have no end to them, and let's me know when he has them. If only I had more time & money... sigh...

Theres quite a few on CL like that up here. I was also thinking the same thing, pick up cheap, repair and sell for a small profit. But its not feasible. Theres no market for them, yet.

no market, in the pacific northwest!!! two words guys.. latin america....

there are NO subarus down here, and with the other japcars that almost always means that immigrants buy them and ship them home... think of the latin american members of the website...

im just saying, you could get yourself into the ol "import/export business" here.. and you know, make a little extra cash on the side..... maybe branch out.. :brow: :brow:

Am I crazy? Anyone else this stupid?
i've gotten 4 XT6's for free and others on the cheap. there's no shortage of these older subaru's. make certain you are turning them around. turn them around as quickly as possible. if you're picking them up faster than you're selling them, you need to regroup and rethink what you're doing. be more picky about the ones you buy or get them cheaper or quit getting them if you don't have the time to turn them around. a cheap or even free car is not always a good deal. it's never a good deal until you do something with it. until then it's only a liability. it's easy to think 'what a great deall, i could fix that and sell it, i could this and that". just make sure you're doing more than getting the cars, stick to the original plan which includes...."fixing"...and "selling". otherwise like i said they are just a financial liability. just my two cents.....good luck with the projects!

Got a problem with that. Its called Customs. Probably have to pay taxes on something like that also. Same with sending them south.

Well, it's relatively easy for Canadians to import cars like the Loyales into Canada. Just start advertising them on Canadian Craigslist sites (Vancouver, for example) and state very plainly where the car is located, and that the buyer is responsible for all importation requirements. I see lots of different cars from Cali, Ore, WA, ID, Mont., etc on Vancouver CL.

i've gotten 4 XT6's for free and others on the cheap. there's no shortage of these older subaru's. make certain you are turning them around. turn them around as quickly as possible. if you're picking them up faster than you're selling them, you need to regroup and rethink what you're doing. be more picky about the ones you buy or get them cheaper or quit getting them if you don't have the time to turn them around. a cheap or even free car is not always a good deal. it's never a good deal until you do something with it. until then it's only a liability. it's easy to think 'what a great deall, i could fix that and sell it, i could this and that". just make sure you're doing more than getting the cars, stick to the original plan which includes...."fixing"...and "selling". otherwise like i said they are just a financial liability. just my two cents.....good luck with the projects!

Yeah, I have a very strict rule about buying cars to fix up. I have to make a certain amount of profit or I do not touch them.

Parts cars are harder because I own a shop so there is alway use for the parts wether I give them away or they help me get a car done faster. I definately would not have bought that last one other than I needed that EXACT fender, and have looked for one and unable to find it.

My down fall is getting them parted out. Always put getting customer vehicle fixed in front of getting cars parted out, and since we are busy have gotten overstocked on parts cars.

Thanks everyone for listening to me rant. I see I am not the only one in this situation. It is starting with the Legacys as well..... Lot of high mileage Legacy that are going cheap......