Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hard top

Hello all, there is a GL Hard top looks to be early 80's vintage parked about a mile from my house, very straight rust free body, it's been sitting for about 1 1/2 years so I would assume it isn't running. Does anyone know much about this particular model of Suub, I was thinking of going and inquiring about it tommorow but I pretty much know nothing about that particular model, if it's worth loking into or if it was a problem model. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:)

Hello all, there is a GL Hard top looks to be early 80's vintage parked about a mile from my house, very straight rust free body, it's been sitting for about 1 1/2 years so I would assume it isn't running. Does anyone know much about this particular model of Suub, I was thinking of going and inquiring about it tommorow but I pretty much know nothing about that particular model, if it's worth loking into or if it was a problem model. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:)

Its a good car, if its gl5 5 speed even better, BUT if a 1984 4wd turbo, TROUBLE, get out your wallet to keep it on the road, thats why they only made them 1 year..

Its a good car, if its gl5 5 speed even better, BUT if a 1984 4wd turbo, TROUBLE, get out your wallet to keep it on the road, thats why they only made them 1 year..

Thanks, that's good to know, I guess I will find out more tommorow as to it's specific make and year.

They made them for 2 years, and the EA81T is not a bad engine at all. It doesn't have the propensity for eating head gaskets that the EA82T does. The auto tranny could be better, but that can be swapped to a 5 speed relatively easily. I had an 84 turbo with 180,000 miles on it before the transmission went, and it still ran great.

GD

I offered the owner $100 for the car and he sold it. It's an 84' GL10, he says it was running great, blew a head gasket and hasn't had time to work on it, so I will be tearing into the engine very soon to see about getting it running. Anyone know of any good parts yards in western WA?

It's actually a 5 spd but I have seen very few of these cars around, so I did'nt know how hard it would be to find parts. the guy who had it before ran it through a ditch and banged up the passenger side front fender, it also needs a new gasket around the rear window. Also was wondering what the 10 following the gl designates, I have been searching around but haven't found any good explenation.

the GL-10 refers to the top of the line trim model. in the ea81 series, it meant cloth door panels instead of vinyl. matching cloth seats. maybe the black-out option, where some of the normal chrome trim was blacked out...

sunroof, alloys...

like this one...

PDC_0147.JPG

the GL-10 refers to the top of the line trim model. in the ea81 series, it meant cloth door panels instead of vinyl. matching cloth seats. maybe the black-out option, where some of the normal chrome trim was blacked out...

sunroof, alloys...

like this one...

PDC_0147.JPG

That looks like my car, exept nicer :slobber: . Thanks for the info.