Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Okay so I found a place that is selling the Borla 2.2 Liter headers for dirt cheap....Are they worth the 250 bucks or what? Easy to install like the downpipe on a turbo or a PITA? I searched and came up with nothing....Whatever info you guys might have about these headers, post it up! Thanks!

the headers are worth about 20 bucks, tops, Borla can't seem to make a subaru header that won't crack to save its life. and their million mile warranty isn't transfered to you, so when it brakes in the middle of winter with the snow all around, you'll be up a creek without a paddle.

Avoid borla headers like the plague, mine cracked within 3 months, they completely seperated into two pieces.

Borla if you're listening, make better parts, cause a million mile warranty means wongleflute if i have to replace the part every oil change.

Yeah with my WRX headers, downpipe, up pipe, engine management, and all that type of stuff yields large gains because of the turbo. I did not know if it was the same for naturally aspirated motors on Subarus. Thanks for clearing this up. Guess my 2.2 will never be "Quick" unless I slap a turbo on it. I will just make it a monster offroad machine instead :headbang:

i got an apexi off ebay brand new for 175. i will be doing my ej22-ej25phase1 motor and 5spd trans swap as soon as i am finished with the 325is i picked up. i will respond when done if you are still looking at that point.

I saw that listing and I'm wondering if they're actually made by apexi. I had never heard of them making an n/a header before that. It looked a lot like a generic borla-type to me.

Anyway, the borla and OBX are the two most popular it seems. I think I'm going to get the OBX because people claim higher gains and I have only heard that maybe the cracking issue is resolved. The sound will change I guess but the clips of Subarus with EL headers sounded pretty cool (although a bit less rumble-y) to me.

Borla is the only place making a header for the singleport EJ22. There are alot more companies making headers for the dualport, as they're all the same dimensionally. The OBX is a copy of an equal length header put out by another tuner at a fraction of the cost. The Borla is long known to improve the sound only, until they crack....and they all do....at which point they sound like $h1t.

I would go with the OBX personally, even though it means losing the boxer rumble.

Jay

yeah.. i'd stay away from borla if i were you... i had a flange crack off!! :eek: and then of course, the normal crack that happens when the two pipes are connected... it's just CRAP... do you want mine? i just want to get rid of them now... or may be i'll just get the new set they made.... and start re-enforcing the ************ out of them... mm... good idea... :rolleyes:

yeah.. i'd stay away from borla if i were you... i had a flange crack off!! :eek: and then of course, the normal crack that happens when the two pipes are connected... it's just CRAP... do you want mine? i just want to get rid of them now... or may be i'll just get the new set they made.... and start re-enforcing the ************ out of them... mm... good idea... :rolleyes:

A couple of triangular support flanges would probably take care of it actually. I've wondered if maybe having worn motor mounts or not a flexible enough flex-pipe was the main contributer to this. Or maybe it was crappy construction. Was it your header that just had a couple of spot welds?

Has anyone had one of the new ones that are supposedly better crack?