Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I need a answer please, help me!

I have a unusual issue with my 2004 subaru 35th anniversary edition sedan, I have about 29k on it and have taken it do a dealer in my area pete's subaru here in western mass and have complained about a whistle noise or squeal noise about 40mph, I can get it to do it for me but the tech could not duplicate it of course. They told me it was a normal noise I was hearing from the ac condenser, um no I worked at a dealer and that is not a normal noise coming from the clutches in the ac condenser. So it happens in warm weather and cold weather. I have had the belts adjusted also and checked and they are fine so where is this noise coming from man it annoys me. please help with solutions or suggestions.:-\

I have a unusual issue with my 2004 subaru 35th anniversary edition sedan, I have about 29k on it and have taken it do a dealer in my area pete's subaru here in western mass and have complained about a whistle noise or squeal noise about 40mph, I can get it to do it for me but the tech could not duplicate it of course. They told me it was a normal noise I was hearing from the ac condenser, um no I worked at a dealer and that is not a normal noise coming from the clutches in the ac condenser. So it happens in warm weather and cold weather. I have had the belts adjusted also and checked and they are fine so where is this noise coming from man it annoys me. please help with solutions or suggestions.:-\

Does the squuel change with road speed or engine speed

Of not sure hold the car in gear manually and see.

Does it change with the a/c on or off

Does it change with electrical laod

Does it change with the sindows up or down

Does it change when making a turn

Is it there when you rev the car in park and neutral

nipper

this vehicle doesn't have hubcaps does it? i don't think it does, but if it does i'd try reseating them all.

any inclination where it's coming form? front, rear, center, left, right? is it just wind noise, do you have a roof rack?

it does not have any hubcaps it has alloy wheels the noise is coming from the fron tof the car more like the engine itself or within it.

Assuming there are no vaccum leaks, or anyother oddities, the only other thing that can whine are hydraulic pumps. You have two, the PS pump and the front pump in the tranny.

Now i am doing worst case and may be way off base since i cant hear the noise. The PS pressure reduces pressure at highway speed. i don't know what they consider highway speed, nor am i quite sure how this done, i would imagine its done in the rack.

Since you say it always stops at 40mph, i would look there.

The tranny will sound loudest at low speeds if its a bad front pump.

I wouild remove the drive belts and see if it goes away. You can drive the car a bit with the belts off. If it goes away, that reduces it to a rotating mass, the AC PS ALT or adjuster/idler pullies.

Either way i suggest you take the technician on a drive with you driving, and let them hear it when you hear it. Keep all the documentation on this incase its either scenario so you can prove that you were complaining about this.

nipper

Does the squuel change with road speed or engine speed

Of not sure hold the car in gear manually and see.

Does it change with the a/c on or off

Does it change with electrical laod

Does it change with the sindows up or down

Does it change when making a turn

Is it there when you rev the car in park and neutral

nipper

Hi thank you for responding well lets see I can hear it when the windows are open and closed does happen at around 40mph and squeals and as I speed up it goes away the noise is coming from the front of the car I suspect the engine somewhere or even the exhaust somewhere. I can not here it if it does it when turning, it seems to happen when I am driving. it does not matter whether the a/c is on or not either. with any electrical equip on does not matter either so its tough to figure out, the dealership had it all day and they claimed they could not hear it, sometimes I go at 40 or so and it will do it and I told them that to.

Assuming there are no vaccum leaks, or anyother oddities, the only other thing that can whine are hydraulic pumps. You have two, the PS pump and the front pump in the tranny.

Now i am doing worst case and may be way off base since i cant hear the noise. The PS pressure reduces pressure at highway speed. i don't know what they consider highway speed, nor am i quite sure how this done, i would imagine its done in the rack.

Since you say it always stops at 40mph, i would look there.

The tranny will sound loudest at low speeds if its a bad front pump.

I wouild remove the drive belts and see if it goes away. You can drive the car a bit with the belts off. If it goes away, that reduces it to a rotating mass, the AC PS ALT or adjuster/idler pullies.

Either way i suggest you take the technician on a drive with you driving, and let them hear it when you hear it. Keep all the documentation on this incase its either scenario so you can prove that you were complaining about this.

nipper

cool well it starts up around 40mph i'm sorry and then goes away as i speed up

My 93 makes the same noise but it does it at certain speeds in all gears,a mechanic thought it might be air whistling through the intake or by the butterflies as it instantly disappears if you let off the gas even minutely.

Think I'll pull the intake hose off and clean it all up. Just swapped in a complete 92 Ej22, got it running Thursday and it is making the same exact noise. What do you think? John

This happens with my car (whistling in all gears) and i used to worry about it, but when my bf was trying to sell my car, he told the most interested buyer about this, who had owned 2 subarus previously and one currently. He said 2 of his had done this but had caused no tangible problems, and said it was just a subaru quirk. Since this only happens to me when the car is being driven properly (maybe a little hard) i don't worry about it anymore, now thinking of it as a happy sound, whistling past the other cars. And hopefully i won't have to worry about it in the future since i decided against selling.

I wonder if it's belt or pulley squeal. Most likely would be coming from the Alternator if it was either of those. Driving without the belts would be a good idea to check this - but I don't know if you're going to be able to get up to 40 mph safely without electricity from the alternator...

you stated in the original post they told you it was the condenser, and then you said about the clutch on the condenser..... is it possible you are missunderstanding what they are telling you? and that maybe the noise is a wind whistle through the condenser? the condenser is the radiator looking thing in front of the radiator. not trying to make you look stupid or anything, but it would clear up confusion....

Mine is definitely throttle related,as soon as the whistle starts I can let off the pedal even the slightest bit without affecting the speed of the car and the sound goes away, same the other way around, if i step on the pedal the sound goes away.Not sure if this is the sound though the original poster described.

John

Mine is definitely throttle related,as soon as the whistle starts I can let off the pedal even the slightest bit without affecting the speed of the car and the sound goes away, same the other way around, if i step on the pedal the sound goes away.Not sure if this is the sound though the original poster described.

John

If it is just the air pssing through the throttle there isnt much you can do about it.

nipper