Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Retrofitting MY wagon wiper controls to Brat?

dfoyl

We're heading into spring here down under, and the wet weather is finally arriving. My '89 Brat/Brumby doesn't have intermittent wipers, only slow & fast (I can't believe a 1989 _anything_ came without intermittent wipers!), but I've seen the wagons have a different controller with intermittent built in (along with rear wiper control, which would be handy as I'd like to put a wiper on my topper/canopy). My question is, what do I need to change to get the intermittant wipers working on my Brat - obviously the dash control, wiring, etc, but do I need to change the wiper motor and anything else ?

Thanks.

Dean.

My '90 Prizm doesn't have them either. Not sure if I should blame GM or Toyota for that.

Its a prizm. Blame yourself for buying an econobox :grin:

Its actually quite amazing what cars manufacturers decide get intermittent wipers. The only cars I've had them on is my Subarus (an XT6, XT Turbo, and my EA82 GL Wagon), and my 89 Ford Tempo (POS).

Not the celebrity which was supposed to be 'luxury', or the sport compact toyota I had. The POS Tempo and the XT6 are the only ones though that I've actually been able to adjust the delay time.

l am trying to do the same conversion to my 89 Brat using a coupe switch, l know it can be done as l've done it before, (20 yr ago), but for the life of me can't remember what l did! l'm kinda sure it involved fitting the switch and a timing relay under the dash, l think you'll find the wirings for it is already there, the motor is the same.

The intermitent can wiring was already in my dl brumby, it is a 6 wire plug that has a plug conected to it with one 'yellow wire'? jumpered between two of the wires, near steering column. The switch wiring was plug and and play, dam site better than windows ;). Except the plastic int. shrowd didnot fit the job was a complete breeze. So happy intermitent wipering.

We're heading into spring here down under, and the wet weather is finally arriving. My '89 Brat/Brumby doesn't have intermittent wipers, only slow & fast (I can't believe a 1989 _anything_ came without intermittent wipers!), but I've seen the wagons have a different controller with intermittent built in (along with rear wiper control, which would be handy as I'd like to put a wiper on my topper/canopy). My question is, what do I need to change to get the intermittant wipers working on my Brat - obviously the dash control, wiring, etc, but do I need to change the wiper motor and anything else ?

Thanks.

Dean.

don't you mean slow and not quite as slow?? :lol:

don't know about later years but the EA81's wipers pratically have no diff. between speeds. :mad: