Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will EA82T turbo work on EA81T?

• 2 months later...

Yes, my Brat is running an RX, (EA-82), turbo, it was a very easy swap over and worth considering. The only modifications needed is the filing out of one hole on the 81 dump, (the inside lower from memory), about half a hole to suit the different stud pattern and of course the water cooling, this is Not a drama. I used ALL the 82 fittings on the inlet, they fit fine so if possible grab these too. The outlet is even easier, l plumbed it to the top heater hose before the tap on the engine side, (as opposed to the cab side), as there is a bypass just before the tap so your guaranteed continuous flow for disposal of hot water, use it, l made up a 3 way Brass joint from fittings puchased from an air tool place.

You can also plumb back to the Thermostat housing but l found that it's pretty busy around there and hard to get pipes in, l used this instead to install a seperate water temp sender to keep my guage honest, it gets pretty hot down here.

Hope this helps.

The water supply can tap into the return heater hose. The return I believe goes into the pass side head. Its been awhile since I messed with a EA81T:rolleyes:

Supply comes from 1-3 head drain hole (banjo fitting), the return goes into the thermostat housing, where the dash temp sensor usually goes.

The dash temp sensor is relocated to the heater (not sure if its supply or return) hose.