Ultimate Subaru Message Board

not to deter you in any way, but why the ej22 outback if you want power? by adding aftermarket stuff on it, you risk the reliablity of the famously reliable engine. if you buy the ej25 outback, you get 165 hp (still underpowered, imo) and is similar in price to a '96.

+ it has a hood scoop!

[/url]

I dug. There is nothing there. The link reaps nothing. I'll keep looking through that forum, though.

How odd - well, go to the Normally Aspirated Forum, drop down the 'search this forum' window and put in 'stroker' and 'kit' or other similar terms.

maybe this will work;

http://tinyurl.com/y2gv3b

also;

http://tinyurl.com/y9a87t

Carl

not to deter you in any way, but why the ej22 outback if you want power? by adding aftermarket stuff on it, you risk the reliablity of the famously reliable engine. if you buy the ej25 outback, you get 165 hp (still underpowered, imo) and is similar in price to a '96.

+ it has a hood scoop!

Yeah, hood scoops are cool...But I don't know. Maybe an EJ25 is the way to go. It's tough to decide. I mean, I guess the HG isn't THAAAT prevalent, right?

Yeah, hood scoops are cool...But I don't know. Maybe an EJ25 is the way to go. It's tough to decide. I mean, I guess the HG isn't THAAAT prevalent, right?
Nipper claims 10-15% of older EJ25's have headgasket problems. So, mathematically, you have a rather small chance of getting an affected motor.

well, the ej25 would be a wiser choice in two regards. a) the aftermarket for the ej25 is larger than the aftermarket of the ej22 (for the obdiis at least) and B) with your plans of engine swapping, you could theoretically buy one with hg problems for cheap and toss the engine

^ and its only 3155 lbs dry wt.

I'll chime in here and offer up what advice I can. The EJ25 wouldn't be too bad of a choice. If you go with a late-late motor, around 04 or newer...you get 175hp and OEM reliability if you swap the wiring harnesses and ECU with it. Aftermarket stuff for the EJ25 is out there, you have to look for it though. ECU advances are being made that really help bring the power up to a more respectable level. A set of Delta cams, minor headwork and exhaust work might just be enough for you. Built NA EJ25s are out there....mine are at various levels of being "built" and have been pretty happy with the results. The only HG problems I've ever had were with OEM, and we're pretty rough on motors (suspension is another story altogether).

Going the turbo route, you can go with a WRX swap, the price is dropping below $6000 now, including the motor or you can DIY with some assistance in prefabbed harness work for around half that cost. The EJ22T wouldn't be bad either but overall costs to get it up and running would be fairly similar. A simple turbo kit on your motor would be even less and not as unreliable as it's being portrayed in this thread.

The EJ33 swap is definately something to consider. Aside from the wiring...it's a match made in heaven. Visit http://www.linaracing.com/ for info on what it took to get an SVX motor up and running in an Impreza. Your chassis should be similar, if not easier.

Just remember that speed costs money, so how fast do you want to go?

Jay Storm

Nipper claims 10-15% of older EJ25's have headgasket problems. So, mathematically, you have a rather small chance of getting an affected motor.
That's what I was thinking. But, it's still a gamble...

I like the EG33 idea. I will look into it. That sounds pretty cool and it seems like a rare thing. There's something about having a 6-cyl Gen I Outback that seems pretty sweet. Especially if it's the only one running around.

Is there much of an aftermarket following for EG33s? Would many parts be available if they break/need upgrading?

How odd - well, go to the Normally Aspirated Forum, drop down the 'search this forum' window and put in 'stroker' and 'kit' or other similar terms.

maybe this will work;

http://tinyurl.com/y2gv3b

also;

http://tinyurl.com/y9a87t

Carl

Eh, got nothin' on the first one...

But I'm looking into the Paeco thing. That link works...

EG33 mods are few and far between...and what is available is pretty Expensive....but a stock EG33 has plenty of HP and torque from idle up, and by leaving the motor stock will be super reliable, as the EG33 is a stout engine (7 main bearings:eek: ) it takes some serious abuse to kill a EG33

there was a twin turbo jdm legacy (95-99, i think 2.0L, but not sure), but you shouldn't get it as one of those turbos is right where the steering column is. and then, whats the point?

eg33 is a good way to go. no lag, and have you heard one of those all wound up? intoxicatingly beautiful

• 3 weeks later...

you could also install a 2.5 engine. they put out 165 hp...i think that's 25 hp more than an EJ22. might be best to start with one of those. 2.2's and 2.5's are interchangeable, even down to the wiring. an EJ22 plugs right into an EJ25 wiring harness. that's an instant 25 hp. install the lightened goodies before dropping it in and sell your EJ22 to recoupe some costs.

Sorry Gary, your numbers are right but the rest is inaccurate. The 2.5 is not plug and play. You have to play with wiring and connectors and manifolds and such.

As one of the few on this board who have done this swap with success and increases across the board in performance feel free to pm or email me for specifics Burton.

what about a 50 shot of nitrous.

Why has no one else mentioned this?

look up Reddevil, he's got an EJ22 with some good ##'s to show.

If you want ripping power, pick up a wrx. Most have had the shniz beat out of them, but if the tranny isn't smoked, they're generaly fine. I've got a neighbor who's running 22# of boost down his. For how long? who knows. He also ripped the block in half on his supercharged mustang.

The ej22 is about reliable power, not sportscar power. You could also up the compression a bit by running a 2.5l block with the 2.2L heads on it. You'd have to run high octane gas, but it might be worth it.

Enough with the wing and sticker's. Just because he's 17 doesn't mean he wants a hyundai with a towel rack on the back. Fart can exhausts are stupid too.

Another thing with rims. The only reason to have 18" rims is to clear huge brakes. Which your car doesn't have. Look at the weight combo of the tires and rims. Sometimes huge rims with lo-pro tires weigh more than smaller rims with bigger tires.

Why has no one else mentioned this?

look up Reddevil, he's got an EJ22 with some good ##'s to show.

If you want ripping power, pick up a wrx. Most have had the shniz beat out of them, but if the tranny isn't smoked, they're generaly fine. I've got a neighbor who's running 22# of boost down his. For how long? who knows. He also ripped the block in half on his supercharged mustang.

The ej22 is about reliable power, not sportscar power. You could also up the compression a bit by running a 2.5l block with the 2.2L heads on it. You'd have to run high octane gas, but it might be worth it.

Enough with the wing and sticker's. Just because he's 17 doesn't mean he wants a hyundai with a towel rack on the back. Fart can exhausts are stupid too.

Another thing with rims. The only reason to have 18" rims is to clear huge brakes. Which your car doesn't have. Look at the weight combo of the tires and rims. Sometimes huge rims with lo-pro tires weigh more than smaller rims with bigger tires.

good points.

There are also OTHER types of racing where suspension bits are a better place for your money. Like AutoX and RallyX.

If you want a 1/8 - 1/4 miler, sell the Soob and get a bike or a Mustang.

Carl