Ultimate Subaru Message Board

To get a good reading on the dip-stick make sure your Forester is level. Then I've found that you take the oil filler cap off first then pull the stick, wipe it and then check for the oil level.

Oh yeah you have to run the engine to fill the filter before the first oil level check.

Try it. :brow:

~ Mark

To get a good reading on the dip-stick make sure your Forester is level. Then I've found that you take the oil filler cap off first then pull the stick, wipe it and then check for the oil level.

Oh yeah you have to run the engine to fill the filter before the first oil level check.

Try it. :brow:

~ Mark

but u dont check the oil with the engine on correct?

Yeah a large amount of overfill can cause the oil to turn to a foam which doesn't lubricate too well. Though as others have said make sure the car is level and has been run recently, though not right after you shut it off. You can get real strange readings real eaesily with these engines. I usualy check after I've pumped my gas, oil is warm, gas stations are always flat, and its hade 3 or 4 minutes to settle down to the sump while i pumped my gas.

after doing an oil change the oil may read high due to the fact that the oil filter isn't completely saturated and full yet. so don't assume it's full just because it reads high on the stick. it should be the oil filters capacity past the full mark. if you had it at "exactly" the full mark, it will read low once the system is primed and the oil filter and passages are once again saturated.

An overfill will reduce the working of the oilsprays underneath the pistons, during each down movement of the piston a jet of oil is sprayed into the bottom of the piston. If there is to much oil in the engine there is oil on top of the jet and the spray is reduced. This jet cools the piston and connection rod.

Foaming of oil happens when it is under extreme pressure this occurs when the piston moves down and has to move a lot of oil.

So overfilling is bad, they did not put a mark on the dipstick without any purpose. To remove the excess oil use a small hose that fits in the dipstick pipe but it has to be quite hot in order to make it possible to pump it out using a small handpump. Or the dirty job underneath.

Yes, overfill can be bad because of foaming, etc. Under filling, below the low level can be bad too. Fortunately, you have a quart of difference between the two.

I check my oil level first thing in the morning. The car has had all night for the oil to drain down and it's cold and thick, so it's easier to ready. Bonus, there is no need to wipe the dip stick off and reinsert it. Just pull it out and read the level.

Jack

anyone notice this dude hasn't checked back in yet?

did you check how much oil your owners manual says to add? compare that to what you did and take note next time to add the correct amount.

the drain valves are super nice, great idea and i've seen them leak...just drip leaks but that's more than i care to have. take your pick and check your oil often. i'll stick with a drain plug, KISS. add the right amount and draining isn't necessary.

I just changed my oil on Sunday.

And of course, put to much oil in. *shrugs* don't ask...

What's the best way to remove it.. just pull the plug again and put it back after a sec or two?

bryan

funny how my avatar seems to fit all of my posts....*thinks*

why is it bad? over lubrication? Or the oil can burst?

Over filling can allow the oil to be affected by the rotation or the sweep of the crankshaft. This would let the oil get airated. The same way your heart cant pump air, neither can the oil pump.

nipper

Gary,

Have you seen an actual Fumoto leak or one of the other brands? At CF we used them on cross country tucks and forklifts and I've never seen one leak. Don't ask about the time we tried another brand. Sometimes there is a reason there is a lower bidder. You can also buy a fair bit of oil for the cost of a Fumoto.

I've also never seen one open in error becuse of the lock, but you can double lock them with a hose clamp for farm use. That sort of ruins it to me because if you have to go get a screwdriver you may as well get a wrench. I probably would not use one for off road as you can break off anything that sticks out at all.