Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Specs Needed: WRX Flywheel vs EA82

it's a different bolt patern than the EA one. Plus a different clutch that won't like to work with the EA tranny.

Why not lighten the EA flywheel?

bolt pattern can be modified. EJ clutch discs work with EA trannies.

the challenge will be the pressure plate, and, as mentioned, the diameter. getting a pressure plate that cooperates with the throwout bearing, and getting the teeth on the outside edge to cooperate with the starter....

bolt pattern can be modified. EJ clutch discs work with EA trannies.

the challenge will be the pressure plate, and, as mentioned, the diameter. getting a pressure plate that cooperates with the throwout bearing, and getting the teeth on the outside edge to cooperate with the starter....

yeah... and unless you have a tranny jack... NOT FUN... ive had to lay on a cold cement floor in washington state for like 6 hours helping my friend put his tranny back in his 300... THERES NO SPACE IN THAT STUPID BOAT OF A CAR!.... anyways.... yeah.. mounting "customizing" the tranny will be cool... but then you have to put it in!!! But im not a naysayer.... i think it would be cool if you pull it off....!! Good luck!

The pressure plate, being hydrualic, will probably be much too strong for the EA81 cable setup. Maybe retro-fit an EJ pedal and hydrualic assembly. Might also have the make a custom fork and release bearing, and I *think* the flywheel for the EJ is considerably thinner so you may need a spacer to move the flywheel back a bit. This is actually one of the reasons it's possible to build the adaptor plates from EJ to EA transmissions - the extra 1/2" of the adaptor plate is compenstated for by the extra thickness of the EA flywheel....

GD

The bolt pattern can be modified to work between both flywheels.

The offset of the EJ is different. Exact dimensions I do not know.

The XT6 flywheel in stock form will give you a savings of about 5 LBS. The stock EA flywheel can be lightened. A few people have been successful in doing so. I have a lightened EA82 flywheel(-7lbs) in the Brat and have never smoked a clutch in it. I run an XT6 clutch set in it too. Keep in mind that with a lighter flywheel you will lose some of the bottom end and drivability. There won't be as much momentum to keep the low rpm driving smooth.

My suggestion is to stick with EA parts. They will perform to the level you need them.

:( You all know that EA82's harmonic balancers are their flywheels and not their crank pullies right?

Well, actually, the flywheel is the flywheel and the crank pulley is the crank pulley.

I am sure you meant to say that the EA82 is externally balanced. But, what you neglected to mention is that they have a standard weight and removing material from the flywheel will not hurt anything as they are not matched sets, right?

• 8 years later...

The XT6 flywheel is about 4 pounds lighter than the regular EA82 version if that helps.

That it does. I'm sure I can hunt down an XT6 in the junkyard, and I usually order the XT6 clutch when I do the 5sp swap anyway to maximize biting force without compromising drivability and costing an exorbitant amount.

Twitch