Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've been pondering this for a few months now. I want fast. First I was certain I wanted an '04+ WRX. Then I checked the insurance rates (I'm 25). IMO the '02-03 WRX are ugly because of the headlights, I won't consider them.

Then i thought SVX. But there aren't a lot of them around, and they only come in auto (not sure I want to convert). I like the legacy gt (w/2.5 turbo), but I'm guessing it has the same problems as the WRX -- high insurance

Here's what I was thinking:

Sedan

Turbo

Not outlandish insurance rates

What do you guys think?

Talk to these guys about 5 speed SVX: http://www.smallcar.com/

A Legacy GT might be slightly less expensive because it is considered a family car.

If you look at WRX's again, get an '05 or newer. The front end was changed in '04, but still has the old interior, with the single cups holder. The '05 has a revised center console with two cup holders:)

Have you considered doing a JDM turbo swap? I am looking at that for my 98GT. There are all sorts of issues to consider with that, but at least the insurance should be cheaper then an WRX or gen3 GT.

Funny u say this, because with my dad 04 nissan titan LE he pays a little less then he pays for our subaru legacy 93 non turbo. That makes so sense!
You're in Canada. That makes a big difference.

You want a WRX, you're gonna pay in insurance. My vote goes to a Legacy or a Forester XT.

I always felt it was the Legacy wagons that were - um - more associated with an alternate lifestyle. Seems to me the perception about this predates the introduction of the Forester.

Anyway - I wouldn't let it stop me from driving what the h3!! i wanted.

Carl

Uhh, I thought it significantly predated the introduction of the Legacy too... EA81 wagons at least....

Uhh, I thought it significantly predated the introduction of the Legacy too... EA81 wagons at least....

Didn't a California based dealership start advertising in a publication popular with gays? I guess I don't know the history of it. Anyway - this is the first time Foresters have been mentioned.

I dunno - get what you like.

Carl

Martina Navratilova signed on after Paul Hogan in 2000.

Some people actually thought that using the greatest female tennis player ever might be seen as an endorsement of outdoor activities, not indoor activities.

But the best Subaru ads ever were the "That's why Cadillacs Drive Subaru," ones.

I always felt it was the Legacy wagons that were - um - more associated with an alternate lifestyle. Seems to me the perception about this predates the introduction of the Forester.

Carl

Most car sites talk about the forester as the alt. lifestyle choice.

http://www.bangkokpost.net/290906_Motoring/29Sep2006_motor004.php

Yah that turbo forester, 0-60 in like 5.9 seconds, now that's not too shaby compared to other common production cars.quote]

Tempting, but the look of the forester gets to me. Probably harder to find in 5spd too.

How much power can be squeezed out of the 2.2 turbos from the early 90s?

Carl

I hear you Carl, me either, but people do the strangest things sometimes.

It's 1969 and a man I know bought a NEW Chevelle SS. Yellow with a black vinyl top. Well, some people in that community ragged on him about the yellow paint, over, and over, and over. They thought it was weird, sissy...gay? even...whatever.

Two weeks later he had it painted blue, no where near as good a paint job as the factory paint either.