Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Final Cut. And Thanks

Today circumstance forced to be scap my Subaru. In the final cut we were done in by a sensor (o2 or coolant)... Subie gave me a nice going away present... 133$.

But it still wasnt easy to scrap her. For all her faults and resently her most recent cel episodes I always felt safe in this car... even though she broke down on me 11 or 12 times... odd that feeling...

I diddnt have any choice about the scrapping.... The sticker was almost expired and it couldnt pass inspection... and at 150$ a pop for failure to inspect I diddnt really have any choice.

As for USMB I have found a lot of aid and comfort here. I even expect I made a few friends. I would like to extend a heart felt thankyou to all the gang at USMB , I couldnt have kept this car running so long without you.. that is every single one of you that has advised me along the way.

Regards

Robert

Its an addiction above all. For about six months after my hatch died I was stuck driving my Tacoma. I felt that a large part of my life was gone. Until about a month ago when I got my brat I finally felt at home again. The love for a Subaru will not go away. Sure you will get mad and pissed at them when they are acting up but its all part of it. Just don't go out and buy a Honda.

Its an addiction above all. For about six months after my hatch died I was stuck driving my Tacoma. I felt that a large part of my life was gone. Until about a month ago when I got my brat I finally felt at home again. The love for a Subaru will not go away. Sure you will get mad and pissed at them when they are acting up but its all part of it. Just don't go out and buy a Honda.

Uh Oh.... how about if someone gives you a honda?

Uh Oh.... how about if someone gives you a honda?

Fix it, sell it, buy a Subaru?

I'm addicted. I'm on my 3rd EA82 wagon (having sold the others for close to what I put in them after many, many miles). Nothing else I've owned is quite the same blend of easy to work on, fun to drive, and good looking.

-=Russ=-

Nothing else I've owned is quite the same blend of easy to work on, fun to drive, and good looking.

Well...I'll give you the easy to work on and fun to drive part...I don't know about good-looking (as far as the older ones go).

Well, hey, robertwheeler, don't give up now!

Stick with us a little longer, please!

(Someone perform Subaru resuscitation on this man!)

There is a certain something to the gl wagons. When it was running well it was a real power house... and it holds the road so nicely. But in truth I only got the car cause my brother was going to scrap it anyway.... and I got most of a year out of it... and in some cases nearly daily repairs.

Look on the bright side I cant unlearn what I have learned with this subie... I managed to adjust the clutch with breaking the cable... mostly due to some help from the nice people in here.... and when I did the fron wheel bearings it was after someone in here told me they were more like the older front wheel bearings then the new pressed in ones..

Cant say if Il ever own another Subie... but it was an expirience and a 1/2.

Sorry folks My New 93 honda is in pretty fair shape and while it isnt a subaru it will get me around and it gets 27 mpg in the city , that alone saves me a lot of cash over the 20 or 19 mpg on my subie.... But I doubt that Im ever gonna get the feel that the gl wagon gave me in heavy rain or snow.... it was just unstoppable.

I dont plan on totaly disapearing... just not sure exactly what i can contribute as everyone knows more then I :)

ya know.... counting the 3 years my brother owned this car... I have been working on it for 4 years. If it hadnt become unfeasable I would have liked it for the upcomming winter... but anyone who reads my threads knows how severly and quickly it suddenly went down.

Robert

you can always put in your $0.02.. wether there right or wrong(hopefull not on purpose) every little bit of personal expierience, research, and cheering on... it does good to the subie crowd moral.....

all old cars break... hey im in highschool.. my GL-10 broke the first week i drove it!!!! everyone told me that this car sucks, its a piece of crap.. I should have bought a newer car.... (I live in Scottsdale... almost every other kid here has there daddy buy them a new car and pay for everything) but the fact of the matter is... old cars break.. how many cars (other than subies) can go over 250000 miles and still have every single light sound and electronic window operate as if it were new???? Not many!

so stick with the oldies.... if you really want that sti... wait until its 2010 so its old!!! and then make it faster!!!

now im not a traitor or anything but who cares if he got a honda... sounds to me like he needs a car to got from A to B (without breaking down) and the honda will do that for mmmm about another 15 minutes............... :-p

It's too bad your Subaru experience had to be with a turbo EA82. They really are probably one of the worst for routine problems. It's not to say they weren't good vehicles, but just that after 20 years the added complexity of the turbo system makes them an undesireable choice for the mechanically un-inclined. Definately an "enthusiast" car at this point, and you really have to love it to keep it on the road.

If you run across a deal on an early 90's AWD legacy don't hessitate to pick it up. It will have that feel that you like, and be the maintenance free machine you would have liked your wagon to have been. The SPFI Loyale's are alright as well - just stay away from the auto's.

GD

Yeah, after owning a few subaru's it's hard to quit.... After selling mine this summer (to my brother, who still hasn't even picked it up), I just had to buy another one. So now I have two, till he comes and gets it. But the thought of not having a subaru on hand if I needed it :eek: I look forward to every time it snows, because I can stick it in four low and go down the highway that they haven't bothered to plow yet (unless it gets too deep, in which case I have snowshoes too :headbang: ) Plus, it's more fun to drive than anything else I own -- including my VW GTI. The VW is as much fun except on dirt roads, if you drive too fast, it will bottom out and break stuff. The subaru doesn't care about water bars or rocks.

The SPFI Loyale's are alright as well.. .GD

For example, mine. Manual tranny. Paid a whopping $1500 for this baby 122,000 trouble-free miles ago. And teenager-free as well. Mine are ashamed to be seen in it. Makes for a quiet and very enjoyable ride. Best of luck to you Robert. Glad you enjoyed your time in our small community. Let us know if you're ever back this way again.

get an ea81 if you want indestructable. Even with badly needed repairs I've taken 2 wagons(1981 and '84) so far several thousands of miles without either failing completely. But might as well drive what ya got till it fails and you cant fix it. I had a jeep cherokee w/ the 4.0L, it wasnt that hard to work on but everything kept breaking, and a nissan 720 which also was fairly easy to work on other than the engine(the z24 is a POS)

If you have any parts off that Hatch, let me know, I need to keep spares on hand-

I had to scrap out my first two Subarus- The first was an 88 GL wagon, d/r 5speed, that I bought supposedly needing head gaskets. Big surprise, the heads were both badly cracked, so it went without ever being driven on the road (legally).

The second was an 82 DL Wagon 2wd, I paid $150 for it, drove it while working on my old F250, trailered it from CT to WA, and drove it for almost another year. It finally snapped an oil ring, and the body had some decent rust, so it had to go. I felt kinda bad, it really had been a pretty good car, aside from just being FWD.

Now, I finally have one worth working on, and believe me, it gets worked on plenty. But still, the basic car is decent, the Hatch has enough guts to drag itself around, the 4x4 works well, especially the low range, and it gets good mileage. Not a bad combination, and what has kept me coming back to Subaru.

Now if only they would apply the concept of a basic 4x4 that gets good mileage to their new cars, we'd be all set.

and a nissan 720 which also was fairly easy to work on other than the engine(the z24 is a POS)

I have to argue with you on this point. the z motor in those trucks isn't half bad. I found one in the woods that had hit so many trees that the radiator was literally wrapped around the block, the stubby ends of the plastic fan was sticking out the front of the truck. So-no coolant, no water pump and I can't belive it was still holding oil. The control arms were bent on both sides, but it was still 4wd. The owner brought a battery out and jumped it, fired right up, and drove it's self the rest of the way out of the woods. Ran it for another week around the property without any coolant.

Pretty much the same motor in the Hardbody's, except fulie. We could wind the snot out of it doing burnouts and it still ran fine afterwards.

I have respect for the z motors.

Mitsu's are indeed some of the worst. They have had such a hard time peddleing them they offer the best financing around. It's also interesting to note that Mitsu (Japanese) supply's all the drivetrain parts for Kia and Hyundia (Korean). And the Japanese people hate the Koreans for the most part :rolleyes:. Bad juju for sure.

GD

Mitsu's are indeed some of the worst. They have had such a hard time peddleing them they offer the best financing around. It's also interesting to note that Mitsu (Japanese) supply's all the drivetrain parts for Kia and Hyundia (Korean). And the Japanese people hate the Koreans for the most part :rolleyes:. Bad juju for sure.

GD

I so need to foward this to another board member, who's given up on his turbo sube in favor for a Turbo Eclipse.

Don't get me started on Mitsus, I'm stuck driving one now. The plastic mud guards inside the front fenderwells came loose and got ripped off the rest of the way by the tires, so now the thought of any kind of moisture on the road will cause the belts to squeal. OBDII, airbags, but no ABS, bad seals around the trunk so the floor is always wet, they didn't clearcoat the thing, so now it needs to be buffed out because every spec of dirt in the world is stuck in the paint, and on, and on..............