Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85% ethanol test

NO NO NO, Numbchux, YOU are wrong!!!!!

there is no such thing as Iowa's 'premium' that contains much more than 10% ethanol

Casey's, Git N Go, and others have ethanol blended 91+ octane premium

other retailers have NO ethanol 91+ octane premium

I pay attention to that kind of stuff because the dirt bike requires premium without ethanol

low grrade 87 regular 89 super 91

have only seen 89 with 10%E

NO NO NO, Numbchux, YOU are wrong!!!!!

lol....sorry

I was so sure that when we went through there on our way to CO, all the gas stations said like 20-25% ethanol for the premium....We talked about it a ton that week, suspecting that that was part of the reason why the octane rating was higher, that it had more ethanol....

I wonder what it was that we saw then....

lol....sorry

I was so sure that when we went through there on our way to CO, all the gas stations said like 20-25% ethanol for the premium....We talked about it a ton that week, suspecting that that was part of the reason why the octane rating was higher, that it had more ethanol....

I wonder what it was that we saw then....

Actually the octane should have been lower, at the higher altitude. And its either 10% 85% or 100%

nipper

Actually the octane should have been lower, at the higher altitude. And its either 10% 85% or 100%

nipper

what higher altitude? :confused: we were on our way to CO, but noticed it in Iowa. E85 has an octane of 100+, when mixed with regular gas, it raises the octane. So if you added some extra ethanol to regular gas, it would raise the octane rating....

I could sware we saw at at least 2 different stations in Iowa, that the premium gas (92 octane, IIRC) was higher than 10% ethanol, but not nearly 85%. This is just from memory, and was almost 2 years ago.

I also don't understand how the premium could be selling for less than regular, if it doesn't contain more ethanol....

I'm no expert, by any means. but I have talked with MANY people who have used E85 first hand. I'm considering running it, so I've been doing some research. I'm just relaying what I've learned, and what's applicable here in MN.

ok then in that case i can understand it. But what happens when your running that much boost and need to get gas where there is no e85?

If this is a car thats married to town, then thats fine, but now your talkign about having a second car for real trips, or am i wrong (talking turbo/super charged engines here, not n/a)

And therein lies the crux of the matter! Just like a car tuned for race gas, running a load of boost on an E85-fueled car limits you to where you can fill up. As the old saying goes, "You can't have your cake and eat it too."

Fortunately, MN is one of the leading suppliers and distributors of E85 in the nation (behind only IA, I believe). Not a whole lot up in northern MN, but down in the Twin Cities and surrounding areas it's everywhere. :headbang:

new ethanol plant being built in LIMA, OHIO,

....and upstate NY, but this automotive engineer, knows that e85 is a just a flash in the pan, unless they find some way of making out of something else besides corn, and making it far more cheaper. Last study i saw (and i see a lot of them) states even if we converted all our corn to e85, we would only make a slight dent in consumption. the other problem is that corn is a resource heavy crop. The other problem is getting everyone to buy new cars.

http://www.thebulletin.org/article.php?art_ofn=mj05cavallo

in 2005 it cost 6.00 to produce a barrel of oil. Oil is wonderful in some of the things it does. It comes out of the ground easily. It is easy to transport. The refininf process (once started up) uses no extra energy, as the waste products are used to produce the heat and electricity required to refine the product.

Ethanol requires a lot of water to manufacture. Corn is not an easy thing to get e85 from. Brazil uses sugar beets, and has far less vehicals on the road then we do.

The rush for e85 is because automitve companies are getting tax breaks on each car they make that can use e85. It only costs them 300-400 dollars on the assembly line to make a car e85 compatable (that number is most likely much lower).

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1629

interesting read.

nipper

You might want to look long and hard before running e85. My owners manuel spcifically warns against it. I have read quite alot about the stuff and used to be convinced it would be our salvation from weaning off oil but not in a older subbie. Take a look at this link and I know of a few others.

http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com/id26.html

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_motherearth/me1.html

http://www.moonshine-still.com/page2.htm

If you are thinking about building an engine mabe this link would help also

http://asuwlink.uwyo.edu/~metal/anodizing.html

Good Luck

^^yep. keep in mind I'm running an EJ22 out of a legacy. I wouldn't be nearly as interested on an EA82. but the ECU of the newer car is a little smarter...

and I have to replace much of the fuel lines in the car anyway....the #$$^%#@ salt did more damage than anything I could run through the inside of them....

and no. as far as the environment goes. E85 is not the answer. The only thing it does is give a little more work to the farmers. and burn a little cooler and higher octane for us ghetto boosted builders :cool:

• 4 weeks later...
There is a company about to release a new process using sugar and a different microbe.

i know ive been watching. Part of the problem is that we can't use sugar cane. On the plus side if global warming keeps going the way it is, maybe we can grow enough sugar cane.

nipper

Maybe I'm dense but I don't see the big fuss about the "your car is going to melt into a pile of goo". Everyone flipped out about biodiesel too. Whats it going to cost change all those old rubber lines and o-rings to something resistant anyway? $30-50?

Serious, on a SPFI or MPFI, the stock ECU is crap, MAF barf. I'm running a megasquirt just because anyway.

MS1 - run dual tables

MS2 - get a FlexFuel sensor off ebay and it will automatically adjust the mixutre for the % of alcohol in the gas

Maybe I'm dense but I don't see the big fuss about the "your car is going to melt into a pile of goo". Everyone flipped out about biodiesel too. Whats it going to cost change all those old rubber lines and o-rings to something resistant anyway? $30-50?

Serious, on a SPFI or MPFI, the stock ECU is crap, MAF barf. I'm running a megasquirt just because anyway.

MS1 - run dual tables

MS2 - get a FlexFuel sensor off ebay and it will automatically adjust the mixutre for the % of alcohol in the gas

Except bio deisel doesn't melt the older fuel system, doesnt require 5 gallons of water to make 1 gallon of fuel, doesnt give you 30% less fuel effecincy and power.

I haven't seen a single person flip out over biofuel, so i dont know where that comes from. By a diesel for chrysler and there is bio mixed in with the normal diesel. Bio diesel is something that snuck up on the mfg's, and a lot of them are testing thier cars asap (to make sure they meet emissions) so they can be the first to say they are certified to run on biodiesel.

nipper

nipper

Biodiesel is french fry grease, not lard, but vegie oil. In a nutshell, you take used vegie oil and filter it, add lye to neutralize the acidity, add alchol (methanol?) so it doesn't gel. And that's it. It runs cleaner than dino diesel and costs about 17cents per gallon without counting labor. Check out http://www.freedomfuelamerica.com

Except bio deisel doesn't melt the older fuel system, doesnt require 5 gallons of water to make 1 gallon of fuel, doesnt give you 30% less fuel effecincy and power.

I haven't seen a single person flip out over biofuel, so i dont know where that comes from. By a diesel for chrysler and there is bio mixed in with the normal diesel. Bio diesel is something that snuck up on the mfg's, and a lot of them are testing thier cars asap (to make sure they meet emissions) so they can be the first to say they are certified to run on biodiesel.

nipper

nipper

Biodiesel is french fry grease, not lard, but vegie oil. In a nutshell, you take used vegie oil and filter it, add lye to neutralize the acidity, add alchol (methanol?) so it doesn't gel. And that's it. It runs cleaner than dino diesel and costs about 17cents per gallon without counting labor. Check out www.freedomfuelamerica.com

I know what it is, but the previous poster made it sound like people were talking about it in a very negative way

"Maybe I'm dense but I don't see the big fuss about the "your car is going to melt into a pile of goo". Everyone flipped out about biodiesel too. Whats it going to cost change all those old rubber lines and o-rings to something resistant anyway? $30-50?"

I just said i didnt see a single person flip out over it.

nipper