Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best Tranny oil for quicker shifting when cold

is it normal for the 2001 outback to be slow in up-shifting when the weather is cold...once it is warm there is no problem...the subi mechanic said it was normal (a common answer these days ) for the tranny to behave this way...when driving slowly the rpm gauge reads 2700 before shifting into 3rd...this dealer also sells the synthetic tranny oil, with no guarantee it will change anything...

I read such rave reviews of the RedLine MT90 (manual transmission, 90 weight) in the TwinTurbo.net forum and the MGT forums that I put it in both my 90 300ZX and my 54 MG TF. It totally transformed the hard shifting and the noise level in the older car. The newer car has a lot less miles on it, and I can't say that I've driven it enough to percieve a difference at this point. Unfortunately both cars get stored over the winter, so I don't have any cold weather reviews to give you, but I believe its got to improve cold weather shifting dramatically. The RedLine MT90 would be my choice in a heartbeat.

is it normal for the 2001 outback to be slow in up-shifting when the weather is cold...once it is warm there is no problem...the subi mechanic said it was normal (a common answer these days ) for the tranny to behave this way...when driving slowly the rpm gauge reads 2700 before shifting into 3rd...this dealer also sells the synthetic tranny oil, with no guarantee it will change anything...

As much as I often distrust assurances that certain things are "normal" (they often aren't :rolleyes: ), in this case what you were told is probably correct.

The phase-2 4EAT (used since MY99) has several shift maps; one of them is for "cold ATF". My own '99 has exhibited behavior similar to what you've described since new. I doubt if synthetic ATF will have much, if any, effect on the cold shifting in your '01. See:

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/1999Info.pdf

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/4EAatPh2Win04.pdf

Having said the above, if you decide to try the synthetic and it significantly affects your Outback's shift characteristics, I for one would be interested in learning about it.

As much as I often distrust assurances that certain things are "normal" (they often aren't :rolleyes: ), in this case what you were told is probably correct.

The phase-2 4EAT (used since MY99) has several shift maps; one of them is for "cold ATF". My own '99 has exhibited behavior similar to what you've described since new. I doubt if synthetic ATF will have much, if any, effect on the cold shifting in your '01. See:

Having said the above, if you decide to try the synthetic and it significantly affects your Outback's shift characteristics, I for one would be interested in learning about it.

OB99W is absolutely right. The transmission shifts like this for a reason and changing fluid isn't likely to make any difference in cold weather.

Hm...how about an auto/manual setup for the ATF temp sensor. In auto a toggle switch connects the ATF temp sensor to the TCU input. In manual, the toggle switch connects the TCU input to a potentiometer so you can adjust the temp the TCU thinks the ATF is.
I can't imagine that something of that nature would be good for the system. Obviously the designers of the transmission thought it was a good idea to include it or they wouldn't have. Best not to mess with things like that just because one doesn't like it....

I read such rave reviews of the RedLine MT90 (manual transmission, 90 weight) in the TwinTurbo.net forum and the MGT forums that I put it in both my 90 300ZX and my 54 MG TF. It totally transformed the hard shifting and the noise level in the older car. The newer car has a lot less miles on it, and I can't say that I've driven it enough to percieve a difference at this point. Unfortunately both cars get stored over the winter, so I don't have any cold weather reviews to give you, but I believe its got to improve cold weather shifting dramatically. The RedLine MT90 would be my choice in a heartbeat.

You should not use MT90 in a subaru manual tranny. The diff and tranny share the fluid and MT90 is not a good choice for the diff. Use 75W90NS

>

>What type of fluid would you recommend I run in a Subaru with shared

>transmission and front differential?

>

>Thanks

Richard,

In your Subaru transaxle where the GL-5 gear lube is called for I

would recommend the 75W90NS, I would expect the shiftability to be

close to the MT-90. The NS fluids have no friction modifier so are

not to slippery for the synchros the problem with most GL-5 gear

oils. The 75W90 would be suitable for the rear differential.

Regards, Dave

Red Line Oil

I have just changed my tranny oil so I will have to wait until next winter to see if the experiment with Synthetic oil works..Mobile 1's web site state their oil will flow better while at the same time provide the neccessary friction needed for an auto tranny...I will make note of your request for next year...

All automtaics since the mid 1990's do this. Its to warm up the engine and tranny faster for emission reasons. This is another reason to be nice to the car on a cold day till it starts to warm up.

nipper