Ultimate Subaru Message Board

speedo cable replacement

Hey all. Im assuming to get the old speedo cable out i have to pull my instrument cluster and undo the cable from the back then pull it through the firewall from the engine side? Then to put the new one in its just a reverse of that
i don't know how it works on an ea81 but in my xt-6 i just layed down on the floor,it's difficult don't get me wrong, but i just reached up and unplugged it from the back of the cluster, it was tight but ont hand will fit and you can feel what your doing, then fed the new cable in from the front and had my friend push while i lined it up with the "plug, or bung thingy" in the back of the dash and it went right in, keep in mind it's very tight i scraped my self up pretty good doing it, but it was still like 10 min total vrs pulling the whole dash, also this was on an xt-6, so i'm not sure how well it will relate

yeah thats pretty much it, i just replaced the one on my wagon a couple months ago. it can be hard to get through the fire wall. when ur taking out the old one just cut it. but the new one ur gonna have to work with a little, the ends have fittings that screw into ur tranny and into ur instument cluster. whichever is smaller is the one u want to thread through. and make sure it has as straight a path as possible, u dont want to many bends or have it rubbing against something too hard, that'll wear it out fast cuz the cable will rub the inside of the housing. other then that its pretty simple.

i was wondering how to replace the cable too. i just didnt feel like posting it cuz i really had no idea of what i was doing...it says to remove the bottom left side of the dash...i got confused.....does anybody have pic of the panel u remove/ where in the intrument cluster its located? thanks -D:banana:

Definately easier to pull the cluster than to try and mess around under the dash..... but unless your cable sheath is shot why not just slide a new cable in? From the tranny side it pulls out, and you grease up the new one, and run it right in through the old sheath.

GD

Reason for replacing it was that the auto speedo cable was too short for the manual tranny. At least im pretty sure it is. I just eyeballed it as i havent put the tranny in yet but it didnt look as long as as the one that was on the manual and the one on the manual needed to go to the other side of the tranny.

Reason for replacing it was that the auto speedo cable was too short for the manual tranny. At least im pretty sure it is. I just eyeballed it as i havent put the tranny in yet but it didnt look as long as as the one that was on the manual and the one on the manual needed to go to the other side of the tranny.

Ah - yes. Just pull the cluster - it's easier than fooling about under the dash, and gives you a chance to clean stuff in there anyway.

GD

on the XT6 and XT it's like jeff said. you don't even need to reach up there to pull it out, just pull it all out from the engine bay and it comes right out of the cluster since there's nothing holding it in. on installation, run it through the wall and reach up behind and plug it in. i'm not sure how different your EA81 is, but i'd definitely look to see if you can do it this way. yeah, not much room but who cares if it takes 2 minutes why bother removing anything?

Yeah - the thing is the speedo is where the tach is on the EA82's, so the cable bends around a lot more. It's definately possible, but I prefer to pull the cluster. But then I'm 6' 2", and it wrecks my back when I get down under the dash for long periods.

GD

Haha join the club. Im 6'2" as well so pulling the cluster it is.

• 15 years later...
On 3/30/2022 at 1:57 PM, lrgvanman said:

I'm about to find out. At 66, I'm not so limber anymore but my wallet is small so here goes!

Pulling the cluster than about 15 minutes when you get the hang of it. Takes me longer to stand up straight after climbing under the dash!

I just had to replace the relays. Second time doing it, so I just pulled the pins out of the connectors and stuck them in a normal Bosch relay. Hopefully will never have to do that again!

• Like 2