Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hello everybody...

my name is david and i'm from israel.

recently i had a citroen bx...great car.

i decided to sell it and buy a subaru.i found a 1988 1.6 GL subaru.

very well maintained car.100000 miles on it.2nd hand.with all extras.

i would probably ask a lot of questions at first.

but i belive i got to the right place.pics to be upload asap.

thank u and god bless us all.

david.:banana:

WElCOME...

Before you ask alot of questions become a frequent user of the search button.. it is your freind.

enjoy the madness:headbang:

my name is david and i'm from israel.

recently i had a citroen bx...great car.

i decided to sell it and buy a subaru.i found a 1988 1.6 GL subaru.

very well maintained car.100000 miles on it.2nd hand.with all extras.

i would probably ask a lot of questions at first.

but i belive i got to the right place.pics to be upload asap.

thank u and god bless us all.

david.:banana:

Welcome,

There are several board members who are from Israel too.

This is the place be if you have a Subaru!

I have not been able to ask a question that someone has not found the answer for.

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer

84 GL MadMax

01 Forester

thank you all guys 4 the warm reception.

before i purchased the 1.6 i saw an EA-82 subaru 1986 with carb.

i took it to a local subaru garage (a friend of mine) and he told me that there are 2 engine types the ea-81 and ea-82.he said that the ea-82 came with cambelts and hidraulic lifters.but...he told me that this engine makes a problem some times with the oil pump and then the lifters will make noise (something about the pump sucking air).

so i didn't buy the car.he said the 1.6 are the reliable ones.

did i make a mistake not buying the car?

hey....that's my first question.:headbang:

Actually, you have an EA71. The EA81 is the 1.8, but without the "cam belts"

The EA82 is a good little engine. Either one is fine. I'm running mostly EA82's now for "street", and hold my EA81's back for off-road only. The lifter ticking is largely related to poor maintenance, and it's not so much the pump, as it is the pump gasket. They cost about $3, and can easily be done when the timing belts are done.

The EA71/EA81 on the other hand *almost always* requires a NEW pump about every 100,000 miles. The pumps actually wear out, and oil pressure drops. They are easy to change though.

The EA71 is about 65 HP, the EA81 is 74, and the EA82 is 84. So you are on the lower end of the power spectrum, but the EA71 is a good engine. There's really not a lot of bad things to say about any of them other than the EA82 is by far the most complex to work on of the 3. Once you are used to it, it's really no big deal though.

Biggest thing to watch on your EA71 is the oil pressure. Anything below 15 psi hot idle, and it's time for a new pump, new sender, or both.

GD

Welcome!!...And congrats on the new addition to the family....Some of us here sware by ( and at) our EA82s...we like them just cause of the little quirkiness that they have. I have owned my 92 Loyale for going on 4 years now and he just turned over 200,000 miles without any real issues.

Can't wait to see pics....I am suck a picture hound,specially for the cars in other countries.:grin:

The HP may be different since it's in another country, different emissions, carb jets, etc.

Your friend was right to steer you in the direction of the EA81, it's far more simple than the EA82, especially for a first time Subaru owner.

The 1.6 EA71 is basically the same as the EA81, just a shorter stroke. It may be tougher since the power output is less???

Please post pics when you can, I'd love to see these international models.