Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gl, Dl, Glf, Loyal Differances

will some one please shed some light on the differances between the vehicle designation? i know that the loyals are a little more modern with the auto belts and ect. but what else, ive owned 10 subarus, and everytime i think i know the differance i get another car that doesnt follow my guidelines, ive also owned a leone-what the hell is that?? looked like a dl base model to me?? where am i wrong?

That's not an easy question. It has to be broken down by year and model as things changed all the time. And even then, badging alone can't give you all the answers. Better to just hang around here, and look at lots of subaru's and you'll get a "feel" for it eventually. The hard and fast "rules" are few and far between as far as badging. The basic rule is that a DL is a lower model than a GL. GL-10's are higher yet. The GLF was an 80/81/82 designation that was dropped after that and applies to specifically the coupe I beleive.... other than that it doesn't seem to mean a lot. I've seen 2WD, 4WD, EA71 and EA81 versions of the GLF.

But there's even more badging out there:

GL-10 Turbo (EA81)

GL-5

DL-5

GFT-5 (JDM)

Just a few off the top of my head that I've seen or own.

And to all those future posters that *think* they know about such and such *feature* that only came on a specific badging.... think before you speak cause there's MANY, MANY variations out there, and someone will probably shoot you down.

Only a few that come to mind are fairly specific - DL's didn't get the intermittant wipers for example, and were never equipped with power windows, etc. They also didn't have a tilt column and some other stuff. DL Brat's never had the Halo-Twin roof. Basically a stripped down model in almost all respects. As far as the GL/GL-10/GLF/etc linup tho - it's all pretty fair game.

GD

Yep - in Canada it was a Leone. If you want to talk about non-US you can just throw out virtually EVERYTHING that has been said or will be said. Almost anything goes outside the US. Here's a short list:

2WD Brat's

Brat's with extended bed lengths (still 2WD)

Brat's made till 1994

EA71's, and EA81's (some with fuel injection) in EA82 body's

EJ15's

EJ18's with carbs, and distributors

EA series with leather interior

EA headlamp sprayers

That's just a small sampleing of what the rest of the world got in various places that I've noticed.

GD

DL is a stripped down model... those that wanted the wonder of a subaru without paying much for it...

Loyale is a newer stripped down model... they were trying to sell the Legacy so they took all the great little features out of the GL and called it a Loyale... interest dropped in the old ea82, and people started buying into the Legacy...

I owned a loyale once... no map light, single range 4wd, no rear cargo light (wagon), etc... although it had power windows/mirrors... still missing those little things I love...

GL seems to come with enough good basic options, that you can just find the extras and be happy... like myself, I won't own one without power windows... after all, when the dogs want air, I can't be stretching all over the place rolling windows down...

--Spiffy

Yes, the GL-10 line was supposed to be the top of the line edition for the EA81/EA82. However, you could get a GL-10 without a turbo on the EA82s (just NA MPFI) and you could get a GL EA82 with all the options as a GL-10 but it wsa badged a "GL" (turbo'd EA82 GL comes to mind). There's tons of different things you could get/not get depending on the model line and special ordered cars with extra options, etc. etc. etc.

Speaking of an '84 GL ... I just acuired one today. I belive it is automatic. 2WD. What can you guys tell me about it? Is it a good car? MPG OK? This one has issues I am still checking into.

You believe its an auto? You havent seen it yet? Anyways..lol mpg will be about 25-27 on the highway with the auto. The auto in these things sucks but you can always swap in a 5 speed like i did :grin: Oh yea..since its auto its EA81 with hydro lifters..basically indestructable. Cant say the same for the auto tranny.

An example of the craziness, would be my 84 Turbo Wagon. Supposed to be top of the line model, every feature. Doesn't have Power windows, mirrors or locks. Nor does it have a sunroof. Go figure, eh?

and my 83 turbowagon has power mirrors, fancy up/down moving seat, and headlight washer, but no power locks or windows, and no voltage/oil pressure gauges!

Indestructable? Better than the 92 Loyale I'm drivin?

There's two subaru engines that most consider "indestructible". The EA81, and the EJ22. Of the two the EA81 is lower maintenance, so could probably be considered a bit more reliable than the 22. Both are good for 300,000+ with fairly little maintenance. I had an EA81 with 316k, and it's now up over 370k and still going.

The EA82 in your Loyale is a hybrid EA81 with an OHC setup. It's renown for both timing belt failure, lifter ticking, and is usually a bit worse on head gaskets because it uses a bolt setup for the heads instead of studs. The SPFI on your loyale is awesome tho - some of us use it on the EA81's instead of carbs.

In my opinion, the most reliable setup possible in a subaru is an EA81 with SPFI. Very easy to maintain too.

GD

Indestructable? Better than the 92 Loyale I'm drivin?

Thats largely a matter of opinion, but the EA-81 does not have timing belts, so right there is a large part of the percieved unreliability of the EA-82 ( the engine in your loyale). As long as you keep coolant in it, and change the oil every 3k, she'll run forever.

• 2 years later...

I feel like playing god and resurrecting something.

I must agree with GD on the indestructible engines.

I have both and can't kill them.

Not that I'm trying... :rolleyes:

And I believe the main difference is in the engine and drivetrain.

Not much else can be verifiably considered "differences" in the models.

And even the drivetrain components changed, so just look at everything.

Find something that has a few of the options you want, and fill in the rest from

the junkyard.

Twitch