Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anoter Informal Poll: Circa 1995 Subarus...how many miles you got on yours?

91 Legacy LS (2.2 auto) . I think its time to rebuild the transfer

clutch unit, awd just not what it should be. Probably will do

it soon. 190,000 miles and otherwise runs as good as new.

Wouldn't think twice at putting $1k in it to keep it up.

Can't replace it for that money.

Richard

-my crank pully fell off randomly one day, had to replace with new one,

hehehe i just pictured that ...gee whats that big metal round thing that rolled out from underneath the car ....

I had mine come loose on my 98 legacy, it was messey.

I vote for the twin turbo

nipper

Original owner of a 1996 Legacy GT with the infamous 2.5L, have close to 110,000 miles now with the only non-wear item I have replaced is the knock sensor. Still original head gasket and wheel bearings. Timing belt was done at 60k by dealer (before I knew it was due at 105K).

Wow, makes mine really look like a newborn.

'91 Legacy L, 97,000 miles.

Don't know much about it. Today was my second day of ownership.

But the mileage progression that Carfax shows was kind of interesting.

Looks like it has been a 2-owner vehicle, though I don't know when the title transfers were.

As of first emissions test back in '97, it had 65k miles. Last emissions test in '05 had it at 91k miles. 26k miles over the course of 8 years.

94 Legacy GT-163,813

most major work done was timing belt,re-sealed oil pump,front cam seal(while doing belt) and replace broken strut spring(which has thrown alignment off slightly on front drivers wheel)

she has original engine an trans(5-spd).needs slight body work,struts(maybe) an the most major that she needs is valve stem oil seal(only for one cylinder though,rest are fine)

• 2 weeks later...
Hey all,

If you got a 1995 Subaru (give or take a couple of years) I'd love to know how many miles you have on yours (or how many miles yours had on her when she died).

I'm trying to get a feel for whether or not she's worth putting a few bucks into to ride her a few more years...

I'll show you mine if you show me yours:

148,000 miles and still counting for my sweet girl...

-V5

1995 impreza = 253,000 miles would still be going if I hadn't smashed her up:mad:

97 Legacy Outback, 2.5l H4 auto. 530,000 km. Second engine at 260,000 km.

I've had to do a couple wheel bearings, struts not too long ago, front half shafts recently (boots), clutch pack back around 400,000 km, hatch lift struts, etc. Few other things. Knock wood, but I don't think the second engine (also a Phase I block) is going to last all that much longer than the first (and I just past that point). Unfortunate, since the body and the rest of the drivetrain is in good shape.

I still have nearly 200,000 km to go to match my 85 Civic... :headbang: 14.5 years, 712,000 km, original engine and clutch.

Commuter

Our 91 legacy(2.2L 5spd FWD) is up to 273K(miles) +. I got at 112K ish, have done 3 clutches, a clutch fork, 2 timing belts, some CV boots, valve cover gaskets, muffler, brakes, struts and 2 A/C compressor replacememnts. Also was new radiator, old one corroded through. Still my wifes daily driver, does not use any fluids except gas and leaks a little PS fluid.

Did timing belt again at 240K-and prolly at 300K if it keeps running the way it is!

1997 Legacy Outback Limited - 207,000 miles

Original transmission, but on its third engine. Lost one in a wreck by first owner, second engine must have gotten a bubble in the coolant wit the second owner, and its third engine is running strong with about 60,000 on it.

1999 Leagacy L Wagon, 5 spd. 206K miles. Bought used in 2003 with 127K. New clutch, new (used) trans, new belts, crank/cam seals, water pump, valve cover gaskets, right whell bearing. Everything else - original. Still gets ~30 MPG if driven gingerly. Some oil usage ~ qt/5K mi. Synthetic oil.

Alex K

My 97 Legacy wagon has 330,000 miles, and these are working miles as it is used to del. mail. I replaced the engine at 288,000 miles due to one of the idle pulleys coming apart and the valves and pistons hitting. I replaced the transmission at around 320,000 miles.

1997 Subaru Legacy L Sedan. I've currently got 150K on it and the most recent 'expensives' have been the CV Joints (right one 2 yrs ago, left one about 3 months ago), the brakes (everything) were completely replaced about6 months ago.

After 10 yrs, things are just now getting to needing more pricy repairs, but broken down, it's less than 6 months of the average current car payment, and I've gotten quite spoiled not laying out a car payment for the past 5 yrs.

As much as I want a Forester or Impreza as my next car, this one is still going strong, only a few spots of rust (primarily where jerks dinged me or hit me, or in one case, a stamped of kids running across the hoods of cars in the apt complex I used to live in) but given I'm in the Cleveland, OH area, such little rust 10yrs in is not too bad.

Compared to my friends who drive primarily American cars or cheaper imports, all of them are on their 3rd cars/suvs in the time I've owned this one Subie. (and heckle me because of the problems that I recently had) I'll take $1000 in repairs per year over $400/mo car payments for 5 or more as long as I can!

92 Legacy l Wagon 5sp 2.2 210000 miles and still going great. Original engine (never opened) and trans (starting to get sloppy). Driven very hard daily. Rust is taking it's toll on the rear underside and I would not think twice about putting money into the car when it finaly needs it if it were more solid. By far the best car I have owned. And I have had many. If yours is solid KEEP IT!:headbang: