Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I own that book, it's got SCADS of info in it. From concept to production the FULL story of the genesis of these amazing cars.

My personal fave description of the SVX is from the '93 or '94 new car issue of Motor Trend.

"A car capable of transporting 4 adults at insane velocities though mischievious weather."

The SVX is a car that I love, but I just was not impressed when I finally had a chance to drive one. It was a 96 with AWD, 96,000mi and in great condition, but I guess I expected more from the engine, and it was just so sluggish compared with V6 engines I was used to. I suppose the weight of the car with the tall final drive and the four speed auto basically defeat the engine. It handles fine, nothing extraordinary, but very competent.

I still want one someday to slap a turbo or supercharger on and some mild suspension work. THEN it would be a quick machine.

I had a business client that owned a WRX ask me how the SVX compared to the WRX. My reply: if the WRX is a vodka and RedBull then the SVX is 20 year scotch.

I believe the SVX to be a luxury GT, rather than a street/rally brawler.

It's true that the SVX won't win many pink slips at the stoplight; but its beauty is on the highway when you are going 60 and decide to pick it up to 100 or so. That is where it really shines.

I know a lot of people want the manual transmissions and all, but that was not really its intention. Even with the 5/6 speed, it is still a heavy car. Not really a street brawler. But a great touring car.

My opinion

Having owned several SVX's, and having done the first 5 speed swap into one, I can say they are great cars, but do have their week points.

Trouble areas are:

Transmisions / front diffs

rear wheel bearings

rotors tend to warp if your a heavy braker.

The tranny / front diff issues can be greatly reduced by installing a 4.44 Legacy tranny and matching diff, plus it make it much better in the take off department (stock they run 3.54 gears)

I like the 5 speed swap myself....but a 4.44 auto makes it a really fun car too.

The window in a window is more of a stlying exercise, but does let you roll the windows down without messing up your dates hair;)

I Love my SVX, but I love my XT6 too.....

The XT6 is better for in town driving, and hte SVX is great on the highway...

deloreans just suck, i mean where do you get parts for them, heck the doors don't even close properly. SVX is better. No a Brat is better

I own Both a Gen 1 Brat and an 92 SVX (5sp) and I still really like the brat, but all the creature comforts of the SVX make it really nice.

PS: with the windows down you still hear the wind, and get wet if it is raining, I have yet to decide if I like the windows or not.

• 3 weeks later...