Ultimate Subaru Message Board

<<Anyone every have a problem with an LSD clicking on heavy acceleration in the cold?

i seem to be having this problem... nothing major, just have to let the diffs warm up a little more i guess.

Anyone know a fix?>>

i think it would be the driveshaft not the diff.

Check to make sure the axle c clip is fully engaged into the diff. We had an RS in that a local well known trans shop....not mentioning any names...miss-diagnosed first as a clutch, then a trans. they sent it to us and it just turned out to be the clip in the rear axle was allowing the inner to slide in and out. you would launch the car hard and it would click a couple times and then acted like neutral.

i didn't break it yet nipper, it broke itself :rolleyes:

actually what's interesting it that one of my buddies who has an OBXT, says his does the same thing, and a guy over on legacygt.com.

the fluids look good (yes i still know how to check those :-p )

and the axles seem to be solid (can't move them laterally really)

at first when i heard it i thought blown cv joint... but the boots look perfect, and i felt around em and it feels fine inside, for all i can tell.

hmm....

i don't want to bring it to a dealer :(

You can always follow the other rule, turn up the stereo.

The only other thing that can be done is the oil drained, geares dyed, and check for how the gears contact. Now let me ask you this. Is the clicking a 1:1 ratio, 2:1 ratio or a 4:1 ratio in refernce to wheel speed.

nipper

Well.. since it only clicks when it's getting about 200+ft-lbs of torque to it i'm not exactly sure about the click:wheel spin ratio, i guess i could run beside it when someone's stomping on the gas.... i'm wondering if there's a bit of water in the diff.. frozen chunk or something. eh.. it's about time to go synthetic with is anyhow...