Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Been thinking about a new Subaru lately and was wondering how the WRX would be in snow......that low profile just doesn't seem like it would bust through the snowbanks as good as my OBW.......Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated....

The OBW has marginally better ground clearance IIRC, but if you have good snow tires, like NoahDL88 said, you can make it through some rough stuff. I had my 94 leg in snow deeper than the actual ground clearance of the car, and with my Blizzaks I just churned right through it.

I had my 97 Impreza L with bald tires in a parking lot with fresh snow up to the headlights a couple of years ago. While it certainly did not 'blast' through the snow, it got out of that parking lot. Would an OBW have been better? The snow was deep enough that it wouldn't have made a difference. Would tire tread, any tread, have made a difference? Highly likely, but even with the bald tires, this thing got through.

In other words, I don't think the height difference will be noticable in snow performance.

Like has been said, in most conditions, tires will make a bigger difference.

The advantage of the OB will vary according to snow conditions. In light, powdery snow, the difference in ground clearance will not matter much. More important is the fact that the hood is probably lower, so snow will start coming over the top of the car and impairing your visibility sooner (that was the first thing I noticed when my folks went from an 87 wagon to a 97 OBW). In heavy snow, especially if there is ice under the snow, the ground clearance will make a much more significant difference.

what kind of snowbanks will you be busting through?

the biggest problem you'll have with the WRX vs OBW is the ground clearance... if you were sporting the same tire type, and tranny.

Getting high centered with an impreza/wrx is alor easier than with an outback.. but then again, the OBW weighs quite a bit more... but that momentum can help you smash yourself through some snowbanks...

trust me ;)

i've got some pictures floating around somewhere that will explain this....

The extra inches of clearance could give the Outback and advantage, but the WRX does have more power.

Of course the Outback does have a full-size spare, so if things get really ugly, it'll have a better chance of getting you home after snake-biting a tyre over a hidden curb/stone..

If my car does well in the snow, then a WRX would do just as well in my oppinion. Similar size and ground clearence. I was at a top of a hill (great place for a stop sight) last winter, with old tires, and 10 inches of snow on the ground. I spun for a little bit but I made it.

So this year I got Good year Eagle RS-As, a brand new tread design and boy are they wonderful. $115 a piece, all season tires. The car does so much better in any weather and this car can now go anywhere....however I worry about the idiots around who dont have new tires so I try and avoid most winter driving.

One of my favorite videos...

Also, new WRX = LSD rear...that's something to think about.

But I agree on the ground clearance aspect of it. If you "blast" through snowbanks in a WRX, your pretty plastic front lip is going bye-bye, whereas in the OBW, you've got more height between the ground and anything damage-able.

OBW (depending on year) = 7.3"+ ground clearance

WRX = 6.1" clearance

/\ I believe those numbers are at the rear diff? /\

in snow just above ground clearnace hieght a wrx moving at city speeds would just float on the snow where a OBW would sink......i've driven past civics in my minivan and they cant move but im just plowing......they just float on the snow where bigger vehicles sink and dog down to the pavement.

When we got a foot and half of snow last November, I spent a bunch of time experiment with the ride height. With air suspension raised, I have at least as much ground clearance as an OBW and lowered I'm more like a WRX (in height, not handling).

Even in snow that I plowing with my bumper, the high position didn't make as much difference as I thought. I have good winter all season tires and the car has so much grip that it went through everything regardless of height.

It did cut down on the scary scaping noises you hear under the car when driving through frozen slush snowbanks though.