Ultimate Subaru Message Board

DOHC 2.5 and EJ25 Turbo HGs

Dr. RX

arent the turbos SOHC engines? they would have a totally differnt HG.

nipper

swing and a miss, the ej25 turbo is dohc, the only sohc turbos were the ej22 from the legact turbo and the ea82. unless they had some other turbo engines elsewhere in the world.

as far as the ej25 turbo and non turbo head gaskets, im not sure if they would match as the turbo model should have a semi closed deck and should have redesigned coolant passages compaired to the n/a version which is an open deck block. at least from what ive seen.

swing and a miss, the ej25 turbo is dohc, the only sohc turbos were the ej22 from the legact turbo and the ea82. unless they had some other turbo engines elsewhere in the world.

as far as the ej25 turbo and non turbo head gaskets, im not sure if they would match as the turbo model should have a semi closed deck and should have redesigned coolant passages compaired to the n/a version which is an open deck block. at least from what ive seen.

ok ill go back to the bullpen .....

nipper

y not just double up on head gaskets? :rolleyes:

that would screw with your CR, and probably be weaker.

actually, a thinner headgasket would probably be stronger. but, again, that would screw with your CR. although not as much, and in a better direction.

I would suspect that they're interchangeable to a point. since the heads are interchangeable....you might have to cut an extra oil port in it or something, but I doubt it.

Big Giant Thread in New Gen about the gasket failures. In there was brought up the Cometic brand head gaskets which are supposed to be superior high performance gaskets. The part number for the EJ25 DOHC non turbo is the same as the EJ257 DOHC Turbo.....

Sounds like someone should call a dealership and ask for the factory part numbers for the two....

Big Giant Thread in New Gen about the gasket failures. In there was brought up the Cometic brand head gaskets which are supposed to be superior high performance gaskets. The part number for the EJ25 DOHC non turbo is the same as the EJ257 DOHC Turbo.....

Sounds like someone should call a dealership and ask for the factory part numbers for the two....

Strange, turbo gaskets are usually thinner and metalic.

I just realized I've got a Subaru Part number Quick reference guide that's good up until 2004....

so.....these are all for imprezas

-6/98 EJ25, DOHC: 11044AA471

7/98+, SOHC: ...521

EJ251, Vins 200009-200303: ...521

EJ251, Vins 200304+: ...631

EJ257: ...641

2003 Forester EJ255 (FXT): ...641

so. it appears that the SOA part numbers are not the same for the STi motor and any other pre 2004 2.5l. but Cometic ones might be. and I also don't have the part numbers for the '06 2.5l in the WRX, but since the FXT uses the same as the STI, I would assume the same is true.

and just because they have different part numbers, doesn't meant they're not interchangeable....but it is interesting to campare

what a lot of head gasket manufacturers have done for subaru to counteract the ej25 head gasket problem is to develop "MLS" gaskets for them which means multi layer steel. its just a bunch of really thin(like maybe .020) layers of sheetmetal that are sandwiched together and supposedly a lot stronger than the standard kind. all metal.

AFAIK the head gasket issue in ej25's has to do with the huge bore, and really short rod length combining with the open deck block construction to shake the cylinders within the block enough to wear out the head gasket.(may or may not be true)

the ones I am using I bought from napa, made for a ej25D. they are the victor reinz brand and looked to be very good quality and the price was much less than subaru.