Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New oil pressure sender bad?

Hey everyone, I'm just wondering in anyone has had this same problem. I have a 91 loyale. The Oil Pressure Gauge doesn't work so I disconnected the wire from the sender and ground it to the frame. Ok, gauge went all the way up to 85, so I assumed it was the OPSU. Went to Autozone and got the replacement, no big deal. Well I hooked up it up and nothing. Gauge doesn't move. I assume that the sender is bad even though its new. Any thoughts?

Mike

I hope somoeone has a fix!

I have the exact same problem, a 91 Loyale, too. Tested the wiring, gauge moved right up. Tried a used sender, no reading. Bought a new sender, still nothing. I didn't use anything on the threads.

I'm pulling the motor in a few days for some other things, and intend to take a good close look at the sender and pump to see if there's something screwy in there that is visible.

Well lets try this

Remove the lead, Touch one lead to the terminal, the other to the sender body. you should get some sort of resistance reading. Next touch one lead to the body, and the other to the block. this should show no resistance.

nipper

Hey everyone, I'm just wondering in anyone has had this same problem. I have a 91 loyale. The Oil Pressure Gauge doesn't work so I disconnected the wire from the sender and ground it to the frame. Ok, gauge went all the way up to 85, so I assumed it was the OPSU. Went to Autozone and got the replacement, no big deal. Well I hooked up it up and nothing. Gauge doesn't move. I assume that the sender is bad even though its new. Any thoughts?

Mike

Had a similar problem with my temp gauge and when I grounded it to verify that it worked, damaged the meter and had to replace it. Done this many times before without a hitch, but this did happen to me. Just a heads-up.

make sure they didn't sell you an oil pressure

switch

and not the "sender unit"

Easy way to tell is if the gauge goes to full peg

when turning the ignition on and not starting the car.

No, I got the sender, fits in place where the old one was. Just can't get it to read anything.

... when I grounded it to verify that it worked, damaged the meter ...

Well, in my White Wagon, the Wire did go Out itself, Touched the Ground and make the Gauge go up for around Five Minutes, I was Drivin´ when I Noticed that and Stopped the Car to fix it up...

But now, when engine´s Off, the Gauge Drops half the way down... :mad: ...it Works but Lower than it is intended to be, so in High Pressure, the Gauge almost reaches the "zero"... :banghead:

I don´t Know how to fix it on the Dashboard... :horse:

Well, in my White Wagon, the Wire did go Out itself, Touched the Ground and make the Gauge go up for around Five Minutes, I was Drivin´ when I Noticed that and Stopped the Car to fix it up...

But now, when engine´s Off, the Gauge Drops half the way down... :mad: ...it Works but Lower than it is intended to be, so in High Pressure, the Gauge almost reaches the "zero"... :banghead:

I don´t Know how to fix it on the Dashboard... :horse:

Yeah I'm thinking maybe its time for an aftermarket gauge.