Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Have you ever...

cannonball

taken someone like your wife or girl or anyone else for that matter on an offroad excursion where maybe you were in a little over your head and maybe the subie's too, but somehow you managed to pull if off only to find that the other person was so mad at you that they swore never to go again?

I took my wife on a ride a couple of weeks ago on an old logging road to the ridgeline of a nearby mountain. Needless to say it was fairly washed out and rocky and steep in a few places. I'm in a stock 00 OBW manual BTW.

I got to the first steep pitch. Maybe 12-15% grade and 200 yards long and rocky. My wife said that I need to turn around. I sat there and thought about it for a few seconds then something inside of me said "once you go you're committed". So against my wife's will I let out the clutch and without a scrap or major wheel slip I was able to carefully make it up. After another similar section my wife demanded that I turn around. Only problem was the road was on the side of the mountain and very narrow. I had to make it up just to turn around. Well finally we made it to the top and started the trip back down. I was actually very impressed I made it fairly unscathed, except on the way down. Just because I scraped the bottom a couple times on the steep decent she said that I better not do this again on my 170,000 daily driver. I realize that she is right, but somehow I can't see myself not doing something crazy like this again. It's too much fun.:burnout:

I've had people swear never to come out wheeling with me before. I scared the bejezus out of them in a beat run with an old F-250 that you had to use trees as turning points.

I then convinced the guy to try offroading again, except in my subaru, and on a lot easier trails than I had taken the ford down that day. I let him drive, and talked him through maneuvering through the tougher parts and wheel placement, and now the guy likes wheeling.

SO. Take your wife out on some easy trails, something a bit muddy or gravely, but no big rocks or stumps, and let her drive while you talk her through it. Dont yell unless serious body damage is about to happen.

And if the passenger doesn't want to go somewhere, convince them first before going. Don't just go. It's a respect thing.

I have often thought of letting her take the helm just to show her what these cars can do. She has a 2007 2WD Tahoe with traction control, and she says that's enough traction for her. A few weeks ago we got the opurtunity to go for a weekend ski trip to Sugar. Since the Tahoe is our highway vehicle now I had to swallow my pride. Admittedly it is a nice ride, but why did it have to snow 8" while we were there. I think the pain was showing in my face.

My ex went with me once or twice, after that she always had an excuse, especially after I suckered her into going with me and Subaru Junkie lol, after that she never went. Jessica on the other hand, loves going wheeling, she got the legacy muddier than I did in the mud pit @ WCSS8 lol

yep, tipped the car over, crushed the passenger door, shattered the window and crushed the fender in. wasn't over my head. if she would of quit b!tching and arguing. i wouldn't have been playing with the gps, arguing and driving at night... bad combo...

Took my wife through some desert washes. mostly dry river beds w/lots sand and stuff at the bottom.

almost exactly at the middle point, she looks at me and says..."are we done yet?"

I showed her on the map that no matter which direction we went we would have to go the same distance. She was not happy at all.

I figured that if I want to go wheel, I either need to take a friend along of set her up on a spa date or something like that.

BW

marriage?girlfriend....huge difference.:lol:

There is no difference other than a legaly binding piece of paper. Today is my 6th anniversary being married to her after 4 years of being boyfriend/girlfriend. Nothing changed.

If people want to treat it differently, that's too bad.

My girl has always loved to wheel with me. I've never once heard her *************** about anything I've done or attempted. (although it's not uncommon for her to laugh at me as I'm sweating a tilt or a drop off) She's always trusted me 100% to keep her safe. I've always pulled thru with my side of the bargain. The only thing that keeps her out of the "shotgun" seat these days is our boy.

She's also a very good driver. One of a very precious few who I let drive my truck. On and offroad. She listens to instructions better than any of my buddies when it comes to learning the ropes of the Toy.

babywheel.jpg

My girl has always loved to wheel with me. I've never once heard her *************** about anything I've done or attempted. (although it's not uncommon for her to laugh at me as I'm sweating a tilt or a drop off) She's always trusted me 100% to keep her safe. I've always pulled thru with my side of the bargain.

sounds like my girl....except she usually sweats before me at the off-camber stuff :grin:

PICT1403.jpg

that's in my buddies jeep, she still hasn't figured out that third pedal, so she never drove the subaru.