Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all. I am wondering if all the new belts are 105k. My 98L 2.2l has a 60K interval but if a new subaru belt was installed would that be a 105K belt? I had the belt canged at 103K (2nd time after original was done at 83K and then the cam seals started leaking at 103K) in 2004 when the new belts were 105K...now at 165K I am wondering if Im due or if I have 40K more on this belt. I plan to call the mechanic who replcaed it but thought I'd check with yall first. thanks.

Hello all. I am wondering if all the new belts are 105k. My 98L 2.2l has a 60K interval but if a new subaru belt was installed would that be a 105K belt? I had the belt canged at 103K (2nd time after original was done at 83K and then the cam seals started leaking at 103K) in 2004 when the new belts were 105K...now at 165K I am wondering if Im due or if I have 40K more on this belt. I plan to call the mechanic who replcaed it but thought I'd check with yall first. thanks.

Why are we here....

What is the meaning to life .....

Who came first the chicken or the egg ....

Whats the difference intiming belts ....

All age old questions with no real answers. You really need to go with the factory recomendations. There is more to a belt then just design. The load the belt is under also has an efect on age. Also if your engine is an interference engine, you dont want to risk it.

nipper

It appears the for the '98 2.2L, Subaru says 60k timing belt replacement interval for federal spec and 105k miles for calif. spec. Not sure if the belts are the same now or not, I think they still have different part #'s but the prices are so close maybe they really are the same belt....or maybe if you get the calif spec belt that would go 105k....?

thanks for the info. hrmm. No money. Root canal(s) mounting. And an interference engine. Ran the original to 83K so I guess I'll gamble. I could sell it. This is the most overpriced suby market I've ever seen...Anybody in SLC feel like doing a timing belt? Thanks again. Interesting about the CA spec...anybody know why that is?

thanks for the info. hrmm. No money. Root canal(s) mounting. And an interference engine. Ran the original to 83K so I guess I'll gamble. I could sell it. This is the most overpriced suby market I've ever seen...Anybody in SLC feel like doing a timing belt? Thanks again. Interesting about the CA spec...anybody know why that is?

Do you know Kevin Jakob? SLC

Call Michael 673-0773

Interesting about the CA spec...anybody know why that is?
Well Calif. was the first to say vehicles couldn't require any emission related maintenance or something for 100k miles. The Calif. timing belts probably had kevlar aramid fibers or something that made them stronger/more durable.

13028AA102 TIMING BELT FOR 1995-1998 LEGACY 2.2 NON-CALIF SPECS MSRP/List $60

13028AA150 TIMING BELT FOR 1995-1998 LEGACY 2.2 WITH CALIF SPECS MSRP/List $60

it's only 3 years old, if no oil or anything is leaking on it, the car hasn't been overheated, you used a SUbaru belt and the pulleys/tensioners are all in good shape, the belt is likely capable of going much longer. i don't recommend it though, particularly based on the age of the pulleys/tensioners. those should be addressed at your next timing belt change as well since they're 10 years old. in my experience, by your age and mileage you'll need probably one pulley - usually the sprocketed joker on the lower right, $60-$70. replace that (or whichever pulleys are noisey) and the water pump and oil pump/cam seals and say hello to another 100,000+ miles.

if money is an issue, selling this car isn't a good idea because it could easily go another 100,000 miles without much maintenance. maybe you can find someone to do the timing belt for cheap? make sure they use a Subaru belt.

Yeah the tensioner was replaced at 83k. H2O pump and oil pump and all front seals at 103K. Pulleys are all original so that could be bad. Do you need to do the seals again once they've been replaced with the brown ones? I realize they're cheap and yeah might as well right. I agree this belt will last another year at least. I do about 20k/year...prolly less now. Can the pulleys be heard through the cover? I have a slight squeak but I think its in the alternator. I guess I can wait for the clutch to fail and then pull the engine and do it all.:banana: knocking on wood as we speak.

So according to porcupines info it is the belt and not the engine that extended it 105k...A CA spec engine is the same as mine no? So if all the new belts are 105 I should have that belt on my car no? still those pesky pulleys though? Is there a simple way to diagnose their condition? TIA.

The 60k federal belt and the 105k belt have different part numbers though...

13028AA102 TIMING BELT FOR 1995-1998 LEGACY 2.2 NON-CALIF SPECS

13028AA150 TIMING BELT FOR 1995-1998 LEGACY 2.2 WITH CALIF SPECS

Digits 1-3 are the 'part description code' - identifies part name and function

Digits 7-9 'identify specific characteristics of parts with the same part description code' The specific code is assigned by the Fuji Engineering Division for internal use only.

Digit 10 is the 'modification code'; identifies an engineering change to the part.

Though they both have an MSRP of $60 which lends one to think they may be the same belt now; like you'd think the 105k belt might be more expensive. But Subaru did not change the recommended replacement interval for the federal spec for these MY's though, so not sure.

no way to diagnose pulleys thoroughly without removing the belt. you can look at them by removing the side timing belt covers, they only require 3 10mm screws to remove, that's very easy. look at them, if the front seals are jacked up with bearings come out, that is very, very bad and your belt won't last much longer. then turn the engine over by hand and make sure all of the pulleys are also turning properly. a seized pulled with cuase the belt to slide over it's surface rather than turn with the belt. that's what you're looking for. the engine will run quite a while like that but eventually that heat will glaze and destroy the belt...and your engine.

other than that there's really no easy way because you can't hear them or spin them by hand without pulling the belts and well, spinning them. and that's really what needs to be done. they don't necessarily fail that often, but it's not a risk worth taking either because they do loose grease over time.

The 60k federal belt and the 105k belt have different part numbers though...

13028AA102 TIMING BELT FOR 1995-1998 LEGACY 2.2 NON-CALIF SPECS

13028AA150 TIMING BELT FOR 1995-1998 LEGACY 2.2 WITH CALIF SPECS

Digits 1-3 are the 'part description code' - identifies part name and function

Digits 7-9 'identify specific characteristics of parts with the same part description code' The specific code is assigned by the Fuji Engineering Division for internal use only.

Digit 10 is the 'modification code'; identifies an engineering change to the part.

Though they both have an MSRP of $60 which lends one to think they may be the same belt now; like you'd think the 105k belt might be more expensive. But Subaru did not change the recommended replacement interval for the federal spec for these MY's though, so not sure.

Subaru of america (web site) is sometimes pretty helpful with these engineering questions. i know that have been really helpful with AWD tech questions. Maybe someone can aske them?

nipper

In old Volvo 240s, the belt and sprockets changed when they went to 100K mile belts. The teeth on the belt had a different shape - one trapezoidal, and one half-round (I think the round ones are the new ones). The sprockets changed to match, although nothing else changed. Mismatching the belt and sprocket teeth would surely tear up the belt, if you could get it to fit at all.

Just something to watch out for - don't assume that nothing but the belt changed. Maybe check the part numbers for cam and crank sockets also, or see if you can get a look at the two belts at a dealer parts dept.

Hm...good point about the sprockets. Just a few parts with notes I found for Calif. specs:

13021AA141 1999 SPROCKET FOR CRANK PULLEY FOR 1999 LEGACY WITH 2.2 with CALIF EMISSIONS ONLY goes behind Harmonic Balancer

13021AA091 1997-1999 SPROCKET FOR CRANK PULLEY 1997-1999 LEGACYS 2.2 ALL (EXCEPT 1999 2.2 WITH CALIF EMISSIONS) goes behind Harmonic Balancer

Not sure about the cam sprockets though...