Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's wrong with Fram oil filters??

gary - way to dig out a thread thats been discussed hundreds of times. lol I through we buried this along time ago :P

:grin:

shame on me to ruin this thread with an actual picture, what a waste! :lol: guess i missed it, but i didn't see a picture in the thread nor a need to start another one.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahaha! I remember this thread. Man was I young then, I sounded like a ignorant dork. I'm so happy all you guys have change me since then :)

Gary, awesome! Finaly a picture of the insides. Need to show this to my dad, maybe he'll stop using Fram. WIX or Genuine for me :)

-Tom

i've had a problem with wix filters out of any thing amazingly.

wix filters seem to suck down and try to become a rock hard permanent part of my oil pump that wont come off

having worked at a lube shop i can honestly say, it depends on the filter number when it comes to frams, some are carboard ended and others are metal ended. it could be a lot number thing too because i have seen em with higher quality parts in them

wix filters seem to suck down and try to become a rock hard permanent part of my oil pump that wont come off

You are installing them too tight. Remove the seal from the filter, coat it completely in oil (or better yet - Dow Corning valve sealant), and install hand tight but don't monkey fist it. You don't need a lot of crush on the gasket to seal properly - it's soft rubber and will be replaced long before it begins to shrink. Some of the guys I worked with wouldn't listen and we would need a chain wrench and a 4 foot cheater to get them off. The reality is they are being put on too tight.

GD

I install them and remove them by hand. always check to make sure the o-ring is on the old filter after removal (dont want it stuck on the pump when installing the new filter), and always smear a finger of oil on the new oring all around it. Keeps it from sticking to the oil pump surface for next oil change..

the pictures on the prev page show why FRAM is GARBAGE. Pictures tell the truth, anyone can argue otherwise, but i see it in the pictures.

I have cut apart a few fram filters, and I won't put them on anything. I usually run purolater filters, much better quality, and cheaper than the frams. Microgaurd, whick is O'rielys house brand, is actually purolater filters, just painted black instead of white.

You are installing them too tight. Remove the seal from the filter, coat it completely in oil (or better yet - Dow Corning valve sealant), and install hand tight but don't monkey fist it. You don't need a lot of crush on the gasket to seal properly - it's soft rubber and will be replaced long before it begins to shrink. Some of the guys I worked with wouldn't listen and we would need a chain wrench and a 4 foot cheater to get them off. The reality is they are being put on too tight.

GD

hand tight? too tight, lubed gasket before installing.

its basicly spun on till it meets up and tightened up by hand by about an 8th of a turn.

wix are the only ones that do this, the ************ rump roast wally world filter that i got as a spare with a car didnt