Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can I Cry Now?? Is It Time 2 Give Up??

I dont know what to say..but I am not ready to give up on my wagon...I dont think anyone can understand the sentimental attachment I have to it..and I am not completely ready to explain it all. I will try to find some way of fixing it...even if it means taking it to a body shop and having them do it.

And I highly doubt I got that better job...so I cannot afford ...Yes I have a 93 Impreza coming but I think (if she wants it) I am going to give that to LeakingOils daughter for a first car.

If I have to sell my XT6 to get Bucky fixed I will do it..plain and simple

that rust looks pretty intimidating but you could definately fix it. i didn't give up on my loyale when a rock came up thru the floorboards, all the secret compartments in the back filled with water, the newly done bodywork started falling apart, the exhaust fell off in three peices, a rear brake locked up and then blew a line, mold started growing (tilex with bleach works), and now there's exhaust in the radiator. i understand and feel your pain.

don't worry, it is but a scratch.

backwoodboy is bringing a welder over on sat to see what he can do :banana: ...I need to grab a new grinding wheel cause I finished mine off yesterday..judt been peeling back and cutting with tin snips the bad..coated the one sid ewith cheap rust converter for now..check this morning and it was all turned to black.

backwoodboy is bringing a welder over on sat to see what he can do :banana: ...I need to grab a new grinding wheel cause I finished mine off yesterday..judt been peeling back and cutting with tin snips the bad..coated the one sid ewith cheap rust converter for now..check this morning and it was all turned to black.

Atta boy Backwoods!!!!!!!

Get that thing zapped up.

I think I may start chopping up subaru's here in the local PAP and getting the wheel wells for you guys out in the rust coast. Gotta figure out how much it would cost and if shipping is worth it.

BW

at least you found it, thats nothing that isn't fixable, car collectors will take a car that was in a garage fire and put it back together so well you would think it was new. when you look aty the before and after photos on some of those, that small amount of rust looks like nothing,

you will be amaised what a good welder can do to a spot like that.

give him a day it will look much better tommorow

Wow, that looks like my 90 Loyale. I was sad when my 76 wagon started to break in half. 250,000 miles, never stranded me anywhere. 1st car I bought, it was with me until it was 13 years old. Parts of that car lived on in my 78 until I got the 90.

My 90 has rust like that. Found it about a year ago. I have a rust free 87 I am getting ready to put on the road. I have done some body repairs to try to save them, but now I'd rather put the time into mechanical work on a rust free car that will be with me longer.

Much better to cut out all the rust and weld in new pieces. You have to remove paint until you stop seeing rust under the paint. MIG or TIG is the only way. I'm not a pro welder, and I find welding the thin sheet metal very challenging.

The easiest way to get new metal in the complicated shapes needed is to cut up a rust free car (hopefully the other side was wrecked or something...) Some of my 86 (wrecked) ended up welded into my 88.

While on this track. I'd be looking other places for rust too. I doubt its confined to just there. Over here The A pillar and below the windscreen rust out before anything else.

there has been some rot there for awhile... was poking at that last night too. I have a 93 Impreza coming this weekend that i plan on turning into the daily driver..then i will deside if its time to retire old Buck ( he does have other issues) or what.

Connie - been away for a few days and come back to see this! :eek:

Sorry to see the nasties - but yes, it can be fixed. Brumhilda is living proof of that. Sounds like you are getting some help from Backwoodsboy - and good for him for stepping up!

Fiberglass can be used in this area as long as the structural parts are ok - I have done it - and it has held up just fine (even after my unplanned trip offroad & about 8 ft down!).

if backwoodsboy is helping you get some metal patches put in there, that is great! but to seal everything up after the patching is done, throw a layer of 'glass in there - it really is easy to do, just messy.

Good Luck, and dont give up on Bucky just yet!!