Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Greetings everyone. I am in the market for an OBDII scanner, and the AutoTap ATU looks to be a really nice unit. Is anyone here using this unit and able to reply with some quick comments on how it has worked out for you? Are there other units in the same price range which might be better?

I'm currenty driving a '98 legacy outback.

I use an Actron Super scantool. It works well, it's simple, and it lets you watch the sensor outputs, which is handy. It also has adapters to let you do OBD1 cars.

The other scantool I have is a ProScan adapter that hooks between a PC and the car. It does all the regular functions, but it can also graph the sensors outputs, give you estimated 1/4mile times, and dyno charts based on the weight of the vehicle and the speed sensor. It was cheaper than the Actron, but it doesn't play nice with some cars, like a 2006 Nissan Titan.

I decided to go the simple/dedicated/easily-portable approach, with an Innova Equus 3130. The AutoTap ATU looks nice, and under certain circumstances I could see that some of its features (beyond those of a dedicated scan tool) could be useful. I assume you already have the computer you'd have to interface to.

I have a Snap-ON Solus, and love it. It is a windows based scanner that has a built in troubleshooter, as well as TSBs, recalls, and operating specs for every thing from OBD-0 and up. It does trannys, abs, engines, air bags, and chassis. I couldnt ask fo a better scanner, but it was pricey.

It also can connect to a PC. It has built in memory to store data as bitmaps, an infra red printer remote, and movie mode capabilities (huge snap shots basically)

I just ordered one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PRO-TROUBLE-OBD2-ENGINE-CODE-READER-SCANNER-OBD-II_W0QQitemZ190126335688QQihZ009QQcategoryZ43989QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$50 delivered, and sounds like it will do everything I want...I'll let you know once I get it.

Fat Tony

Incredable!:headbang:

Unit was delivered in 2 days. It is a BREEZE! And it reads the code, and TELLS you what it means. No need to plug into a laptop, or look up the codes.

I'm triggering a Knock Sensor, as expected. I've cleared the code, driven to Murrays Discount Auto, and they have the part listed for $39.95:banana:

I pick it up tonight, and should be "All Better" this time tomorrow. I'm suspicious of the CHEAP price of the part, but Murray's has come through with XLNT prices, and decent quality in the past. (Except their K&N Filter!:mad: )

I'll keep you posted

Fat Tony

• 6 months later...
i'm going to be picking one of these up this week. i want one that shows the code and interprets it for you, looks like they can be had in the $50-$100 range.

any feedback??

that ebay link is dead, if you have any info on the kind/brand/vendor, let me know.

I have a MAC Tools one that just reads the codes and will reset the CEL and it was $50, I will get the model number and post it here later.:burnout:

I have a MAC Tools one that just reads the codes
just shows the numbers? i want one that will tell what the code means as well. if it was just for my subarus' i could do without, but i work on family/friends vehicles so that will be a big help to just show me what the code is.

grossgary,

If you have a laptop, give this a look:

http://www.obddiagnostics.com/index.html

this unit will give you real time data as well as a look up function for the trouble code. Also, depending on your skill level with a soldering gun, you can get a kit for $43.10 or if you have fat fingers (like me), you can order the complete unit for $87.10. Again you will need a laptop, but this gives you he ability to watch the data as your moving down the road. I have attached a screen shot of the main window to give you an idea of the level of detail. You can also download the software and give it a test drive. Oh, and you can download the actual Schematic Diagram and build one from scratch.

just shows the numbers? i want one that will tell what the code means as well. if it was just for my subarus' i could do without, but i work on family/friends vehicles so that will be a big help to just show me what the code is.

MAC ET50 is the model number. It has the definitions on the display, in the book, and on the CD that is included. According to their web site it's $69.99, but I know mine was $50. I bought it to scan my wife's Buick (the dealer wanted $50 to scan it!). Flag down a Mac Tool truck and ask them about it, they have been selling like crazy!:Flame:

Gary, before you buy any particular OBD tool, you might consider what is expected of it.

The least expensive ones often only read/display stored codes, and allow them to be erased.

The best scanners will do that (including the definitions you're asking for), as well as cover OBD-I in addition to OBD-II, display I/M readiness, show pending codes (ones that haven't tripped the CEL yet), grab freeze-frame data (what was happening at the time the code was stored), and allow you to see real-time ("live") sensor data, among other things. They will also cover all the protocols you're likely to see, and be upgradable to future protocols.

Medium-priced scan tools will typically include some of those features.

Gary, before you buy any particular OBD tool, you might consider what is expected of it.
i'm not against spending more if it's something i can use. i just really don't know how/what i'll use it all for so it's hard to make a decision...freeze frame and seeing other data is stuff i don't even know how to do or use right now. i'll look around and see what's out there. thanks!

grossgary,

If you have a laptop, give this a look:

http://www.obddiagnostics.com/index.html

this unit will give you real time data as well as a look up function for the trouble code. Also, depending on your skill level with a soldering gun, you can get a kit for $43.10 or if you have fat fingers (like me), you can order the complete unit for $87.10. Again you will need a laptop, but this gives you he ability to watch the data as your moving down the road. I have attached a screen shot of the main window to give you an idea of the level of detail. You can also download the software and give it a test drive. Oh, and you can download the actual Schematic Diagram and build one from scratch.

This is what I have had since the BR-1 in 1999. I love it and whole heartedly recommend it for a serious mechanic. Especially for tracking down tough to diagnose problems. Mapping the sensors is awsome, and you can save the output as a file on your PC to look at later.

BUT Today I got a link to this in my In-Box, Basic code reading & Free Shipping. And at $39.99 it's cheaper than 1 trip to a dealer . Don't know how long this deal will last ......

http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9125-PocketScan-Diagnostic-Post-1996/dp/B0007LEG2K/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1199984272&sr=8-2