Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No subaru's back east?

We were coming back from the movies today and I counted 1 Brat, 3 EA82 wagons (one DL, one gl, and 1 loyale), 2 EA82 GL sedans, an '06 WRX, an '06 or so Outback, and a Forester, and a brand new Legacy sedan. and I was driving my '89 gl sedan. that's the most Subarus I have EVER seen in this town. all sitting within a quarter mile of eachother in traffic. If only I had a camera.

Since I junked my old 86, my 89 Gl turbo is one of about 6 older Subaru's in this town(3 EA82s and 3 first gen Legacies). And it's the only Turbo one. And it's a pretty big town (85,000)

But not only do they buy cars like Buicks and Chrysler here, they build 'em(6 blocks form my house)

Some guy in an absolutely nicer than new(I can't stress how nice this car was), mint 69 Nash Rambler (Chyrsler factory here was originally home of Nash motors) was staring at my 89 GL when I came back to it today and told me he was admiring it!!:eek: HHWWAAAAAHH????:confused: My GL is totally rust and dent free, shiny red from Oregon. Not the way 80's cars ussually look around here.

I think he was buttering me up to ask me for a jump start. We tried but the problem was his Cable had melted where it attaches to the starter. We held the wire against the terminal while someone cranked it over. Worked

I just did a 1500 mile round trip to the Corning, NY area... I saw 3 Bajas and countless Foresters, Outbacks, Legacies and WRX/STIs.

What really got me was that I saw an old red Justy 3 times while I was in Addison.

I also saw many, many, many older Loyales and Legacy wagons in the Lawrenceville, PA area.

BTW, why don't cars stop for pedestrians in PA? When I did stop for them, they kept looking back at me like I was going to pick them off in the street!

But not only do they buy cars like Buicks and Chrysler here, they build 'em(6 blocks form my house)

mint 69 Nash Rambler (Chyrsler factory here was originally home of Nash motors)

Would that be Kenosha?

Had a friend from college from there, and we'd talk for hours about the cool stuff that came out of that factory. A lot of WWII equipment made there too. Generations of families paid the bills by clocking in and out of that plant. In this day and age, it's a miracle it's still in operation.

Suprised there be any Subarus at all in a town like that. I'm sure you still get some "looks" from the old timers.

John

Would that be Kenosha?

Had a friend from college from there, and we'd talk for hours about the cool stuff that came out of that factory. A lot of WWII equipment made there too. Generations of families paid the bills by clocking in and out of that plant. In this day and age, it's a miracle it's still in operation.

Suprised there be any Subarus at all in a town like that. I'm sure you still get some "looks" from the old timers.

John

Precisely. Kenosha indeed. The plant just makes motors now(3.5L), not whole cars. Last whole cars to be made here where the first generation Jeep Cherokees and the 80's K cars(Reliant, Aires, Lebaron, NewYorker).

One of those old timers is my Father inlaw.(he worked there in the 70's through 90's, not so old)

Since I junked my old 86, my 89 Gl turbo is one of about 6 older Subaru's in this town(3 EA82s and 3 first gen Legacies). And it's the only Turbo one. And it's a pretty big town (85,000)

In my town of ~200, I counted 1 EA81 brat, 7 EA81 wagons (two mine), 2 EA81 hatches, 1 EA82 coupe, 1EA82 sedan, 9 EA82 wagons (1 mine), two RX's, 5 2nd gen legacies/outbacks, 1 justy, 3 1st gen legacy sedans, 7 1st gen legacy wagons, an early impreza sedan, two early foresters, and one impreza outback. And that's just on the main two or three streets. Probably double that if we start counting the outlying houses off in the woods. About 80% of those in running condition -- which is a high percentage for my town. Probably less than 40% of all the cars in town run. Nothing newer than about 1999 or 2000 that I remember (no 3rd or 4th gen legacies spotted in my quick search). Probably about 25% of all the vehicles in town are subarus, and well over half of the non-pickup trucks....

Boulder has fewer of the EA81's and EA82's any more, but tons of all gens of legacies and imprezas, outbacks, foresters. And a few WRX and such.

So, you can see why I was so suprised....

On the other hand, I've never even seen a Nash Rambler....

I know of another little mountain town in Colorado where the ownership of of 60's and 70's volvos is probably about 1 for every two people. Funny how these pockets of particular vehicals form (probably because a few people in town know how to make certain old cars keep running, and collect parts for them, so after a while, that's what people buy for a cheap car, because there's someone local to keep it running)

Z

Precisely. Kenosha indeed. The plant just makes motors now(3.5L), not whole cars. Last whole cars to be made here where the first generation Jeep Cherokees and the 80's K cars(Reliant, Aires, Lebaron, NewYorker).

One of those old timers is my Father inlaw.(he worked there in the 70's through 90's, not so old)

Kenosha is the home of the K-car? is that what the K stands for????

It is something of a pipe dream of mine to get a K car and use it as a sleeper body for a mild SRT-4 driveline... skinny tires on the back, big old fat ones on the front, hubcaps.. one small dummy exhaust out the back and a quiet muffler system.. tint the windows and make it look like some sort of "who made that" mobile... THEN blow everyones doors off.

That would be my candidate for "ultimate sleeper"

is that what the K stands for????

No, I'm trying to be polite, so I won't say what it stands for.

get a K car and use it as a sleeper body for a mild SRT-4 driveline

Wouldn't a "better" fit be a 3 liter Mitsubishi DOHC turbo? (cross member/transmission/block from a Caravan, fun stuff from Mitsubishi)

I have in a 5 block radius about a dozen that I know of anything from the 2 baja's to an H6 OB and my 83 GL and anything inbetween (no svx or xt though). I went for a walk the other night and there was one pulling out of the corner store (OB) and then a legacy sedan going down the street and a forester approaching from the other direction all in about 15 seconds. The street I was on is not a busy street either....

They are around...you just have to look alittle. :banana:

you can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting a jetta or a subaru (lots of TDi here too)

07-06-07_1501.jpg

i did find this bad boy in the junkyard that is about the only time i see these cars anymore ol gens that is. i will say this if you need some trim parts off this car or you know someone who does if i can help i would be happy to....:cool: the engine bay is well done. fire killed this one. there are two more pics under my name in the photos section.

This was my driveway last weekend LOL..note the XT6..the Loyale ..the sweet sweet tan EA81 sedan,,,and about every third car that drove by was a Subaru..but mainly New gen..couple gen 1 legos around and about 5 EA82s..no EA81 ..and my 1 and only XT6 in this area:

Cookout2007032.jpg

I recently took a 2700 mile trip up north (SC->IN->NY->SC) and was surprised by how few older gen subarus I saw (on the road, anyway).

I saw a maroon EA81 wagon in the ditch in northern OH. Sorry I didn't stop to help, but had time costraints.

I saw a green EA82 wagon going the other way on the interstate, also in northern OH. As it passed I turned to get a longer look and saw that the driver was also turning to look at my white EA82 wagon. :clap:

Those were the ONLY pre-legacy Subarus I saw driving the entire trip.