Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My first Subaru - 86 XT GL

I'm just getting my feet wet in the Subaru world, as I just purchased an 1986 XT GL. I love this thing, as it's very unique and runs pretty well. It's a bit rough on the inside (definitely needs a new vinyl upper-dash piece - the big one that goes all the way across), but other than that, it's in really nice shape.

I did find a replacement "visor" (the plastic piece that goes around the radio and vents) online at subaruofdallasparts.com for not terribly much. The nice thing is.......it's a NEW OEM piece, so once I figure out how to "deconstruct" my dash enough to get it put on, then it'll be good for now.

The only concern I have is that when I'm going to highway speeds, my 5th gear doesn't seem all that better ratio than 4th (goes up to around 3000rpm at 65mph). Is this normal, or should I have the tranny checked over?

I figure it'll be an ongoing project car, but at least it's got a good start on it. I'll post pics of it soon.

Cheers!

If the speed of the engine changes, then it works fine, it just has close 4th-to-5th gear ratios. In my Celica, shifting from 4th to 5th yielded a 1000 RPM difference at the top of the gear(6200-to-5200), and about 500 RPM on the highway.

If the speed of the engine changes, then it works fine, it just has close 4th-to-5th gear ratios. In my Celica, shifting from 4th to 5th yielded a 1000 RPM difference at the top of the gear(6200-to-5200), and about 500 RPM on the highway.

Did you have a GTS? That seems a lot closer than the wife's old celica

I had '90 ST (base model) with the 1.6 4afe. I didn't like that gear box in any way, apart from it accelerated quite fast. I also had the problem with it where the shifter wouldn't stay in fifth, and my differential started making horrible noises about 5 seconds after I bought it. Not really pertinent, however. :)

Did you have a GTS? That seems a lot closer than the wife's old celica

I'm just getting my feet wet in the Subaru world, as I just purchased an 1986 XT GL. I love this thing, as it's very unique and runs pretty well. It's a bit rough on the inside (definitely needs a new vinyl upper-dash piece - the big one that goes all the way across), but other than that, it's in really nice shape.

I did find a replacement "visor" (the plastic piece that goes around the radio and vents) online at subaruofdallasparts.com for not terribly much. The nice thing is.......it's a NEW OEM piece, so once I figure out how to "deconstruct" my dash enough to get it put on, then it'll be good for now.

The only concern I have is that when I'm going to highway speeds, my 5th gear doesn't seem all that better ratio than 4th (goes up to around 3000rpm at 65mph). Is this normal, or should I have the tranny checked over?

I figure it'll be an ongoing project car, but at least it's got a good start on it. I'll post pics of it soon.

Cheers!

oh man congrats on the purchase!! yeah my 5th gear is the same way.. i drive a 89 xt gl.. it freaked me out too at first especially with my intense exhaust leak it sounded gnarly.. but yeah around 70-75 can be like 3500 haha. so its got the air shocks?? and if so how are they treatin ya? mine were shot in the front when i got mine and had to do a coilover swap i got off a i think it was a 85xt haha. but man welcome to family ya picked the right way to go on this one and the people in this crazy subie world are nothing but a buncha nice pple that are moer than willing to help ya out when ya need some info if they have it!! WELCOME!!!!!!!!!

Hallo tacownXT! :-)

I don't think mine has the air shocks, although admittedly, I haven't done a whole lot of tinkering about on it yet. It rides just fine, so I believe it just has the conventional suspension on it. I do think I'll have the muffler/exhaust checked out to see about leakage since it can get a bit loud when revving up the RPM's. I do plan on taking it in to have a check-up done from stem to stern to have any potential problems noted out, so I can get them taken care of before I take it out on any major road trips (I plan on going down to Denver in September).

Quite frankly, I'm surprised this thing is in as good of shape as it is, dash notwithstanding. I think that's the biggest glaring "fix-it" that's there, as when I picked it up, someone had put some blue fabric over the top, held down with some padded tape. I lifted it up to see, and promptly put it back down until I can get a suitable replacement piece for it (I'll have to show pics on this one). Like I said.......it's a project, but a fun one. :headbang:

get it in good tune before your road trip...engine tune up stuff. and let us know what highway mileage you get on road trips. the 88+ models can get amazing highway gas mileage, not sure about the earlier year XT's. if yours is even close, keep track and you'll be surprised at what you get.

they're not that hard to find. i had 9 or so just a year ago. check out benebob's above, great deal and he knows everything about it.

I'm trying to talk the wifey into it:grin:

My only dislike about that one is its a 2wd model.

I'm trying to talk the wifey into it:grin:

My only dislike about that one is its a 2wd model.

Which in reality is better except on snow days. It kills any other 6 in handling, comfort and fuel mileage. With the auto I could get close to 40mpgs if I tried. You won't do that in a full time 4wd subie!

Hallo tacownXT! :-)

Quite frankly, I'm surprised this thing is in as good of shape as it is, dash notwithstanding. I think that's the biggest glaring "fix-it" that's there, as when I picked it up, someone had put some blue fabric over the top, held down with some padded tape. I lifted it up to see, and promptly put it back down until I can get a suitable replacement piece for it (I'll have to show pics on this one). Like I said.......it's a project, but a fun one. :headbang:

:grin:

My '85 Brat came with the "Pimp-out-my-ride" fluffy carpet over dash option. I ventured under there once to the growl of the dash crevice monster. Yanked my fingers away pretty sharpish and dropped the cover back down.

I'm sure one of the angry mouths had teeth.

Steve

:grin:

My '85 Brat came with the "Pimp-out-my-ride" fluffy carpet over dash option. I ventured under there once to the growl of the dash crevice monster. Yanked my fingers away pretty sharpish and dropped the cover back down.

I'm sure one of the angry mouths had teeth.

Steve

I figure as long as I feed it kibble once in a while, it'll behave itself. Honestly though, I don't know if it's just a really bad split, or a horrible repair job. Either way, it'll get replaced eventually. Just one of those weird quirks when you get a "new" used car. First things first though - a nice, thorough TUNE-UP to get the kinks worked out...........and probably a new thermostat. Seems the thing runs pretty warm (although it doesn't go all the way hot).

If you plan on having a shop do the work, beware. Most of them dont know sqaut about Subaru's, especially the older ones. The disty rotor is held on by a screw, most mechs would get pissed off and try and yank it off, damaging the shaft/disty. The front brake caliper pistons need to be turned in, not pushed when replacing pads. The XT's are unique body wise, and the 88's and up had the spider intake. The tranny rpm's are normal for 4th and 5th. Depending upon the mileage, the timing belts might need to be changed (every 60K). If the mech has any strange questions or wants to charge a unusually high price to do something, get your car our of there fast. Or come here and ask first.

Btw, I rolled thru Billings yesterday morning in my red 89 XT. On my way home from TN. Just over 6000mi, it ran almost flawlessly.

Well, about the only things I've noticed is that it does sputter a tiny bit, but thinking perhaps new plugs/wires might help that?

Also, the temp does run a bit on the high side for my taste, so if it's not hard to replace the thermo, I might be tempted to take that on too. The engine has a weird sound when I bring up the RPM's in 3rd/4th, almost like a small clatter, but it doesn't happen all the time.

Thanks guys, but being hugely helpful. I'm glad I discovered this place!

Hey bro, Welcome to USMB!! I was a Newbie to the Subaru world in July 2006 and now i'm pretty good! Don't ever be afried to ask! Ok there's alway's someone on here who can help ya! Yeah the XT is a cool car! I hope you get her running good and take great care of it!

Oh and Turbone!! You said this "The front brake caliper pistons need to be turned in, not pushed when replacing pads." Does this count on the Loyale too!?? I hope not because when my dad and i did the brakes last fall he just pushed them in!:slobber::eek: And your right about the rotor! There is a one little screw!! When we did that we dident know either! But we found out with out any problem!

But Plaese tell me about the caliper pistons for the Loyale!!

Oh and Turbone!! You said this "The front brake caliper pistons need to be turned in, not pushed when replacing pads." Does this count on the Loyale too!?? I hope not because when my dad and i did the brakes last fall he just pushed them in!:slobber::eek: And your right about the rotor! There is a one little screw!! When we did that we dident know either! But we found out with out any problem!

But Plaese tell me about the caliper pistons for the Loyale!!

Loyale too, push and turn them in. It's because the parking brake uses the front brakes.

Does this count on the Loyale too
yes. all older generation subaru's (EA/ER) have the e-brake on the front. this means the piston rides on a threaded spindle inside the caliper bore. the only way possible for the piston to go back in is to be turned in. pressing will not do it, without breaking at some point anyway. and even if you wanted to break them, you would have to press them extremely hard to damage them. i doubt he did that to both sides, he'd realize something was wrong before continuing. you would have to have non-stock calipers if they pressed in. maybe he turned them and you didn't know?

you would have to have non-stock calipers if they pressed in. maybe he turned them and you didn't know?

I've had them just easily compress before. If the E brake isn't used that often, and the adjuster hasn't turned itself very far out, sometimes you can get enough room just by compressing it with a clamp. I did it once before I knew better and it was fine.

But know I own the proper little cube tool and always rotate them in. If you were able to compress it and now the ebrake and everything else works fine still I wouldn't worry much.

But a note to the original poster: DO NOT let non subaru experienced mechanics work on you're XT. They will undoubtedly tell you things are wrong that aren't(like lifters and valves) or they will screw something up, or they will charge you for insane labor that isn't needed. Or any combination of the three.

Take the ridiculous sums that youd spend at a shop, and buy tools. Read up on things here and Go on ebay and get yourself a Factory Service Manual. There is an EBAY seller "Roth's books " That has full sets of every year XT service manuals. $100 bucks, which is high but worth it. It will pay for itself quickly when you compare to what *shops* will charge. Or you can buy one of us a plane ticket to come fix it:clap: , you'll still spend less and get it fixed right, as opposed to a shop.