Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fender Question on 84 Brat...

I'm new to the Brat world...(but not to Subarus:grin: )

And have found that 81 GL fenders are available aftermarket...will they fit on a 84 Brat?

As they look to be the same....

Also, does anyone make an aftermarket rocker panel for them?

Thanks,

Huck

• Haha 1

I think the biggest difference in the fenders is where the radio antenna mounts. Early ea81, like 80-81 maybe 82 mount on the driver's side, and from there up they are on the passenger's side.

I had somebody on here check availability of the rockers from subaru. Seems like there were still a few in stock in the states. If you want I can look up the part numbers again.

I have it on good info that SOA dumped a metric buttload of parts for older subies a year or so back to clear space in their warehouses...:eek: I know at least 1 dealer threw a set of perfectly good Brat front struts out cos they were taking up space about 3 months ago

last time i checked the dealer for any replacment metal for my brat, they laughed at me. said that there hasnt been anything in stock state side for years. then again my local dealer sucks out loud.

Sounds like yours is about as good as mine. They don't even have the brat/hatch parts book. But I do, lol.

I'm new to the Brat world...(but not to Subarus:grin: )

And have found that 81 GL fenders are available aftermarket...will they fit on a 84 Brat?

As they look to be the same....

Also, does anyone make an aftermarket rocker panel for them?

Thanks,

Huck

Huck,

78-81 are Gen1 brats, 82-87 are Gen2 brats. and '81 fender will not fit a gen2 brat...

here's some nice reading for you :)

check out the brat Encyclopedia on the Brats Page

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/brats/brats.html (link at top of forums as well)

That is a very good point. Remind me not to make important posts while I'm waking up... An non brat 81 gl fender will work however.

I'm referring to a non Brat GL fender...such as this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=330144873855&rd=1

To put in place of this bent one...

Post-Wax011.jpg

That is a very good point. Remind me not to make important posts while I'm waking up... An non brat 81 gl fender will work however.

I'm referring to a non Brat GL fender...such as this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=330144873855&rd=1

To put in place of this bent one...

Post-Wax011.jpg

You're good to go then.

BTW your turn signal is on its way.

Thanks!! I'll be looking for it:grin:

Wasnt there a small difference in the front edge of the fenders where the marker light and trim go between the 2 headlight front and the 4 headlight front ends and such?

Someone else mentioned this to me, which is why I posted on here....anybody know for sure?....and if they are different, is it something that will still work?

Thanks!! I'll be looking for it:grin:

Someone else mentioned this to me, which is why I posted on here....anybody know for sure?....and if they are different, is it something that will still work?

yes, the front edge (behind the turn signal bezel, is larger on the 80-81 fenders. it stops you from mounting the later quad bezels, but you can trim it off and it will fit fine for 82-84 bodie styles (and brat and hatch of course)

yes, the front edge (behind the turn signal bezel, is larger on the 80-81 fenders. it stops you from mounting the later quad bezels, but you can trim it off and it will fit fine for 82-84 bodie styles (and brat and hatch of course)

Cool.....and thanks!:)