Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The tragic and untimley death of Vicki

-OR-

How the heck did I get out alive?

We just finished our move from Bremerton to Yakima, where my wife is currently staying until we can find a nice house to live in here in Kennewick. Yesterday was her birthday, and like a good husband (and despite needing to be at work later that evening) I decided to go see her and deliver what presents I had for her personally. It's only about 90 or so miles, nothing Vicki or myself couldn't handle.

After filling the gas tank, Vicki and I left, and being the wonderful car that she was, didn't protest or anything. It was hotter than when I usually drive her, and that may have been a contributing factor about thirty minutes later.

There was an odd "THUMP-THUMP-THUMP" (yes, only three times) followed promptly by a loud "BANG!" and then the screach of a wheel locking up. I had about 10% control of her at that point, which I used to try to keep her on the road and slow down, which was kind of hard going 70. Poor girl, gave everything she had, but to no avail. The road sign tried to help slowing us down, and luckily fell instead of trying to impale me through the windshield. But that factor caused the car to spin (Pass side front bumber took the blow, almost cleared the sign), and just after we were through the gravely part between freeway and onramp, the driver's side tires cought pavement, and with the unwelcomed help of gravity and momentum, Vicki pitched hard on her side, and continued her spin. Somewhere in all of this, gravity took a stronger hold and finished the flip, landing poor Vicki on her roof, crushing the driver's side A-pillar, windhield and roof. Not wanting to be inside should anything else collapse, I quickly unbelted and exited through the now nonexistant passenger side window.

I had the sunroof and driver's window open, and somehow did not find my head on pavement. In fact, aside from sore neck muscles some three hours later, all I got were some small cuts on my hands from crawling on broken glass. I gave a moment to do something similar to :headbang: , while those that stopped and watched all gave me the :eek: , how the heck are you alive, look.

A closer look at the underside of the car (now that it was the top side) revealed that part of the tire wrapped itself around the axle, the tire didn't spin freely by hand. All but the passenger's rear most window, liftgate window, and (I don't know how) the sunroof window were smashed.

If anyone travels along I-82 west in Eastern Washington, please honk once for Vicki at the onramp near milepost 82. As much as I hated having to deal with her issues, I will forever miss her. She was only 157k miles old.

On a side note, I got a deal on an '88 GL sedan today. Only major issues (so far) is its a 3at, and the speedo sticks at 60+. But I'll get to see her turn 200k! (198K right now!)

On another side note, I can say I 'rolled' through Prosser, Wa...

Yet one more sidebar, I'll have pictures tomorrow, provided I remember to take them; might be tomorrow, might be Monday if the tow yard isn't open on the weekend.

Czar "HOLY CRAP I'M ALIVE!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang::banana: :banana: :banana: " Mohab

go to your Dr and get checked out

Went to the ER, spent 3 hours waiting... What do I get? A friggen perscription of Vitamin-M, the US Navy's cure for everything. I spent 7+ years in the service, dealing with that kind of treatment (including, but not limited to, when I FUBAR'd my knee) and here I am, just had a life threatening accident, and the civilian doc says, go home and take 4 (OTC strength) motrin, and call me if you have any more issues... I had to take 6 because I've built up a tolerance to them (cleared it with the doc, he said to do that once or twice only, and spread out over an hour or two).

Makes me wonder if it really is all that great. Never really noticed.

Went to the ER, spent 3 hours waiting... What do I get? A friggen perscription of Vitamin-M, the US Navy's cure for everything. I spent 7+ years in the service, dealing with that kind of treatment (including, but not limited to, when I FUBAR'd my knee) and here I am, just had a life threatening accident, and the civilian doc says, go home and take 4 (OTC strength) motrin, and call me if you have any more issues... I had to take 6 because I've built up a tolerance to them (cleared it with the doc, he said to do that once or twice only, and spread out over an hour or two).

after my accident, next day i went to the er. Killed 9 hrs there. Swollen knee, extreemly twisted ankle and back and neck pain. They couldnt even wrap the knee correctly. they sent me home with a missmatched cane and moltrin.

The ignored the back pain. A week later i went to my Dr (thats when i felt mobile enough to go). He said to me "wow, what can i give you to make you feel better" (massive pain killers). My Dr had been in a near fatal car accident himself, so he knew what i was going through. Took 6 weeks to discover i had a major spine injury.

So watch yourself for the next 6-8 weeks.

nipper

holy crap dude!!!

im sooooo glad your ok!

that subaru put you in danger and then saved your life.:Flame:

omg im just glad your ok...its pretty crazy to flip a car huh? at least yours was a gl and not a wrx:-\

but that aside, im glad your ok and may your next subaru try not to kill you.:cool:

the subaru kid

-Dalton

that subaru put you in danger and then saved your life.:Flame:

I don't blame Vicki and I never will. There wasn't anything either of us could do about it. I think that the tire blistered from the heat, and the thumps were from rolling over the bubble.

They were Sears brand tires, so do you think that I could get my money back? I mean, you find a busted up Craftsman anything on the road, take it in and they'll replace it no questions... so you think maybe they'll buy me at least 1 new tire?

Czar "I miss Vicki" Mohab

I'm glad to see you made it out ok. It could have been far worse. This reminds me of a thread a while bcak about a guy wanting to sell his ea82 something or other because it was "unsafe". You are a walking talking example of quite the opposite.

I'm sorry about the car. A car can have a replacement. You cannot, definately get a good complete checkup when time allows just to be on the safe side.

I don't blame Vicki and I never will. There wasn't anything either of us could do about it. I think that the tire blistered from the heat, and the thumps were from rolling over the bubble.

I thought it sounded more like you had a rear wheel bearing lock up. I've seen it before. The tire could have shredded as a result of the lock, dragging it along on one spot would shred it pretty quick

Glad you are OK and thats the important part..and once again...A Subaru gave itself to protect its best friend and owner. Vicki did what she had to ..to protect you. Whatever caused it..a bubbled tire or a seized wheel bearing or whatever...the car did wonderful. It could have been worse.

No it ain't!!!!!

My wife would be totally over joyed if I never owned a Subaru in the 1st place. Since I bought the 1st one, "(and started to collect,, ""others"")", she's turned somewhat sour on them. Although, she has "authorized" the purchase of the one I found for sale here in Mi., originally from Ne.

Glad to hear that the OP of this thread got out with nothing more than some scratches, coulda been much worse......

Very glad you made out ok! Sorry to see your subie had to die saving you, but I agree that looks like a serious tire failure to me too. I was in the AF, so I know what you mean about vitamin "M" lol. Uncle Sam still doesn't know why I ever had back problems enough to need an IV of both Morphine & Valium to shut me up :lol:

Definatly make sure they let you see a civilian doc too if you can, I made the mistake of thinking I had to goto a miliary hospital when they came and got me with the ambulance.:rolleyes:

also verry glad you are ok always hate so see a wrecked soob :( but its great taht thay have such strong passenger comartments.

i know its not the best time to ask but was her motor salvagable or is the insurance comp taking it in? not to be a bother.

once again really glad ur ok and i will honk if i drive by there.

Rob

how the heck did you make it out of there alive???? that A piller is destroyed... Where did your head go when It Crushed like that +abilliontrillioninfinatyzillion to our roos and How they somehow can protect us, yet still look like that!

Well time to build a cage for my car :lol:

i know its not the best time to ask but was her motor salvagable or is the insurance comp taking it in? not to be a bother.

No bother at all.

I didn't look, and even though I really wanted to start her up just to see, I didn't feel comfortable with the tow yard guy standing right over me the whole time. My guess would be that most of the damage is body/frame. I'm thinking she'd be a good donor car to someone, so might end up selling her guts (but I'm lazy, so prolly all at once).

New water pump, new fan belts, new front brakes, new alt... If the sedan I bought didn't already have all that new, I would keep all that for myself...

Insurance Co is kinda slow, so I don't know what if anything they will do. I don't think my policy covered towing (stupid me) so any sale price would probably be geared to recoup some of those expenses, if anyone is wondering. We'll see.

She gave me alot, and now has alot to give to another 'ru. I was hoping that I could get it out of the tow yard and do some swaps with the sedan, but the wife kinda hinted at letting me just get a new Vicki in time... That, and I don't have a garage at the moment where her corpse could rest for a while.

Czar..if something like what happened to Vicki ..happened to Buck..I dont think I would be taking it as well as you are..I probably wouldnt be able to talk to anyone for weeks...I know how bad I was when I thought he was finished because of his wheel wells.

If anything..keep at least one part of her to put into the sedan...something familiar ( if I get another EA82 wagon..I was thinking the steering wheel). She DID give you her all and we are greatful that you are here today being able to type this.

OH on your other thread..I actually think you can do what you think..just swapping the tranny that way its all ready for when you add the rest of it...I think someone mentioned that to me awhile back but dont mark my words on it