Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can a 3-spd Loyale wagon really do 130mph?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made 190kph on my old 91 Loyale, 5mt, with no muffler and blown out cats.

Was on a long flat section of highway with a crosswind off the ocean. About 17 Degress Celcius I think I was 5th gear 6000rpm ish.

Edit

190 kilometers/hour = 118.06053 miles/hour

17 degrees celcius = 62.6 degrees fahrenheit

If you painted it yellow I'd bet it would do 130!:lol: and put a wing on it too!:grin:

My old camaro had a 160mph speedometer, but it wasn't yellow....and it had a 2 speed powerglide transmission. I think the fastest I ever drove it was only a little over halfway up the speedometer. That old 327 would wind up pretty good though..

-Doug

Tires might only be rated for whatever speed, but it doesn't mean they will blow up when the rate speed is reached.

I had a friend with a Camaro with the 140 MPH speedo, and he buried the needle on it frequently. This was on S rated tires.... He is still alive and kicking, still owns the Camaro, but has graduated to a nice new BMW for his high speed runs.

I had my FWD 3AT loyale up to 100.....I thought I was going to die :eek:

/QUOTE]

102 on the Alligator Alley (a long, flat causeway across the everglades, zero grade, zero wind, ~30 feet above sea level) with a naturally aspirated, 3AT 87 gl-10. Probly had about 5-7 mph more in it, but maybe more like 3-5.. this was two years ago and 102 was my goal, plus I have teh kweer digi dash tachometer so I am never very certain what my RPMs are (6000?? naw, more like 6125!! The tach breaks each 1000 RPMs down into eight bars, so each bar represents 125 RPM.. its about the stupidest thing I have seen come out of Japan... :rolleyes:)

speedo means nothing, its all marketing. USDM Nissan 280ZXs came with 85 MPH speedometers... properly prepared, (and not ALL that far from stock) that car should be more than capable of 140, ESPECIALLY if you ditch the stock FI and either go with aftermarket fuel management (even running stock or near stock injectors, and a bone stock bottom end) or triple carbs. Bone stock 120 is easy.. if you multiply the gearing out, the car should be easily capable of 160, 170 at 6500-6800 RPMs.... (fifth gear @100 MPH is 4K RPM, redline on the gauge is 6500, realistically more like 6800. I revved my 75 to about 7200 accidentally once before the valves started floating.)

Tires might only be rated for whatever speed, but it doesn't mean they will blow up when the rate speed is reached.

I had a friend with a Camaro with the 140 MPH speedo, and he buried the needle on it frequently. This was on S rated tires.... He is still alive and kicking, still owns the Camaro, but has graduated to a nice new BMW for his high speed runs.

Well yes i understand that. BUT, exceeding the speed rating can be dangerous coupled with the speeds mentioned. Tires CAN come apart quickly at those speeds. Realistically the speed ratings can be exceeded without any problems, and usually the speed ratings are underated by 10% or so. I am just saying that it is very possible for the tires to not like speeds exceeding their ratings.

I have had a tire start to shred the outer tread at 150. It was an H rated tire. It had less than 10k miles on it. It may have been a defect and i got a new one for free but i did not tell them when it started to come apart.:burnout:

I was just trying to make sure people understood that it can happen and to be careful.

Well yes i understand that. BUT, exceeding the speed rating can be dangerous coupled with the speeds mentioned. Tires CAN come apart quickly at those speeds. Realistically the speed ratings can be exceeded without any problems, and usually the speed ratings are underated by 10% or so. I am just saying that it is very possible for the tires to not like speeds exceeding their ratings.

I have had a tire start to shred the outer tread at 150. It was an H rated tire. It had less than 10k miles on it. It may have been a defect and i got a new one for free but i did not tell them when it started to come apart.:burnout:

I was just trying to make sure people understood that it can happen and to be careful.

Even high speed tires will come apart at their rated speed if driven there for too long.

nipper

its all mathmatical it takes so much HP to move the car to X speed. u can get on line and type in your weight of your car and theres a calculator that will tell u how much HP you will need, and your gears will have a lot to do with it. it will probably never happen but it would be cool!!

Tony~

its all mathmatical it takes so much HP to move the car to X speed. u can get on line and type in your weight of your car and theres a calculator that will tell u how much HP you will need, and your gears will have a lot to do with it. it will probably never happen but it would be cool!!

Tony~

Make sure you factor in drag coefficient, wind speed and altitude.

I'm going to say no. You'd probably float the valves before it'd get to 120, especailly with the long gears of a 3at...

put the front on jackstands, and a few other suports, and start it and put it in drive and see how far it will go...

Done.

The spedometer peggs, and I mean peggs on the odometer reset post at 7,900rpm's with the 3at spfi. You can hear the valves beginning to float at 8, a flutter here and there. This is on a dead cold engine/tranny. So 130 would be around 7,800 rpm. Doubt that the engine would breathe well enough to keep pulling there.

This is my parts wagon shown here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=79050 by the way, so I've got no worrys about damaging it. Engine seems to be in good shape, my old spfi engine floated closer to 7k.

*edit* Read the bold print! There's you're answer for the free-speed! And it doesn't overheat, it's not really doing any work. Think for a moment before posting about how it will overheat. There's fan's mounted on the radiator that are powered by the car's battery anyway.

not to bad for a 4600lb car.

Tony~

THAT is my biggest problem with 99% of automobiles.

*shudder*

Now that one thing i dident think of was, If you put it on jack stands and start doing 45-100mph. What's cooling the car? There's no air moving at the car! So it will over heat! Like when you take your car to Emissions. They stick a big fan in front of your car..

I am not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure that the only REAL benefit from putting a huge fan in front of your car comes if its turbo'd/intercooled, and getting dyno tested... I have a hunch that the clutch fan and electric fan should be enough to cool your engine, at least for a brief test run... Its been seven years since emissions testing was eliminated here, but I cannot recall ever seeing that (at least not as a rule, they probably had fans for that purpose? but I don't remember seeing one) in Florida; this leads me to think that my hunch may be right. I can certainly see why they would put them there to eliminate people asking the question, or posing a complaint that their vehicle didnt pass emissions because it wasnt moving, but I somehow doubt its really necessary, at least not for the speed test.

Another thing to mention, for the speed test there will be VERY little load on the engine, so heat produced, AND "speed achieved" will differ from what the vehicle would actually do on the road carrying its own weight. The heat will DEFINITELY be less; but you may achieve speeds far in excess of what the vehicle would actually pull itself up to.

I mean that they only put the fan in front of your car at emissions testing to keep people from saying "you should have put a fan in front of my car, it would have passed!!! It wasn't cool enough!"

That is my bet anyhow. Your radiator fans do a perfectly good job keeping the engine cool when you arent moving, even if you are running the AC.

The only other time I can think of where a fan would be placed in front of a non moving, high-revving vehicle, is on a dyno... and the only cars they put fans in front of at dyno sessions, are turbocharged and intercooled. If the fan werent moving, it would not yield maximum intercooling, therefore it would not yield maximum power.

Once again, in any case: With your car on jackstands, your engine is NOT moving ANY WEIGHT other than the wheels; it isn't doing any work, so it will gladly rev high enough in top gear to spin the wheels to (apparently) 130 mph. You could put in a transmission that could make the wheels break the SOUND barrier, if the car was on jackstands; but that is because the engine is hardly doing any work.

Horsepower is a measure of work potential. Its elementary physics.

The fans in the car are only truly effective at low speed. Designers (myself included) know that one you get over 25mph there is enough air coming through the radiator that the fans are not needed. The higher in speed you get, the more air flow, and that little fan on the radiator is not designed to move that much air. The only time when you need that much air going through the radiator is when the car is moving at a high speed. Moving being the key word.

nipper

Most speedos are "optimistic" EA series Subies are definately in that category. If you have the digidash it's capable of displaying 199mph, the XT digidash is capable of displaying 299mph. Talk about optimistic! I doubt any EA series car has ever seen 200mph, much less 300mph. Well outside of a dedicated race car anyway.

I disagree, speed rated tires are rated for SUSTAINED speeds at thier rating. If they come apart at or below thier rating & have never exceeded it, it's a manufaturer's defect. That said, I'd buy tires that are speed rated well beyond my car's abilities.

"Speed ratings are determined by indoor laboratory testing methods which measure high speed tire durability under controlled test conditions. These test procedures do not take into account underinflation, tire damage, vehicle characteristics, or road conditions which can lead to sudden tire failure or loss of vehicle control at much lower speeds than indicated by the tire’s speed rating. The validity of using speed rated tires in the U.S. is based on the idea that the tire’s top speed capability must at least equal the vehicle’s top speed capability, since it cannot be assumed that the driver will always observe the speed limit. Recently the speed rating is being referred to as the “performance rating” of the tire, since the higher speed rated tires generally offer improved handling and maneuverability compared to lower speed rated tires."

http://mydoblo.wordpress.com/2007/07/01/understanding-my-tires/

As much as i hate to quote Tv shows (TopGear) but more then once when driving a supercar they give the time fuel consumption in gallons per minute, then usually say if you could maintain the speed, the tires would blow at a sustained speed, but it usually doesnt matter as you would run out of gas first.

What a cool way to run out of gas :clap:

nipper

Most speedos are "optimistic" EA series Subies are definately in that category. If you have the digidash it's capable of displaying 199mph, the XT digidash is capable of displaying 299mph. Talk about optimistic! I doubt any EA series car has ever seen 200mph, much less 300mph. Well outside of a dedicated race car anyway.

I disagree, speed rated tires are rated for SUSTAINED speeds at thier rating. If they come apart at or below thier rating & have never exceeded it, it's a manufaturer's defect. That said, I'd buy tires that are speed rated well beyond my car's abilities.

funny cuz the other day while trying to start my GL-10 while jump starting it when the starter bucked and the engine jumped the digi dash went crazy and the speedometer went up to 299 while it was going crazy.

as for the hp issue i think that you dont need massive amounts of hp to go fast you just need a good strong engine to do that. take my 85' GL wagon 82hp N/A engine and that car can really move. yes it takes a few seconds more to get up to speed but it moves. the GL is manual but i'm pretty sure that the auto tranny ones can do very well too. that they will make it to 130? i dont think so but that they will reach over 100? most likely.