Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got the pugs on my wagon today (pics now)

Finally got tires on them, and put them on the '89 GL today. Ipike 195/75 R14 snowtires. Boy are they bigger than the old bald 175/70 R13's.... A few rubbing spots on the edges of the fenders while turning or going over bumps (stock suspension, no lift). I took it on a brief spin with some highway and offroad... handles really well rallying dirt roads, but gets squirrelly around 65 or 70mph. Offroad is nice and alot smoother than the 13's, except for constant rubbing as I go over bumps -- little bit of "adjustments" tomorrow. Overall, I'm happy with them, though I still want to get the lift and EJ22 on the '82 wagon and put them on that eventually.

Pugwheels.JPG

Z

Yup, those are turn signals on the hood. And the roof is sort of modified... it's a touring wagon, and I added a solar panel laminated on in front of the raised section.

And.... I'm an incredible moron. Apparently I didn't torque down the lug nuts on the left rear tire last night, and it came off on the road today going about 30mph... some wierd vibration and just about when I was thinking I should pull over and see what was wrong, the wheel came completely off and bounced down the road next to me. Chewed up the alloy rim a little around the studs, and of course I lost the four special lug nuts for it. :banghead::banghead::banghead::mad:

So, I'm back to the 13" spare.... Can't believe I was such a Dumb--s.

If you buy ball to cone adapter washers you can use Subaru lugs. If yu have a VW performance shop near you they may have them in stock. I ordered mine from a place called vee dub parts unlimited. They were $19.00 delivered for 16 and they arrived 3 business days after I ordered.

If you buy ball to cone adapter washers you can use Subaru lugs. If yu have a VW performance shop near you they may have them in stock. I ordered mine from a place called vee dub parts unlimited. They were $19.00 delivered for 16 and they arrived 3 business days after I ordered.

Thanks, I'll order some. They do look suspiciously like the lug nuts for the alloys on my VW now that you mention it. I could just steal them from there for a few days I guess..... and remember not to drive it till I return them :lol:

been there, done that. Crazy feeling when your wheel bounds off in front of you, aint it?

My problem was improper lugnuts, being used on the advice of my elders. From that day forward, I stopped believing my dad, uncle, and big brothers all "knew everything."

Ah yes. I've had the "Believe Your Family When They Say They Know What They Are Talking About " syndrome too.:lol: All I can say is, don't believe someone who says that they know what they are talking about, because they probably don't. Kinda like when someone says "trust me". You can't believe that!

Yup, those are turn signals on the hood. And the roof is sort of modified... it's a touring wagon, and I added a solar panel laminated on in front of the raised section.

I'd love to see more pics & such of this! Details ... details!

Sucks about the studs ...

been there, done that. Crazy feeling when your wheel bounds off in front of you, aint it?

I've done it once before a few years ago in a 24 foot rental box truck. Right front axle bearing went out and heated up red hot and melted the end of the axle off, and the whole wheel/rotor/everything went bouncing off into the field glowing red in the dark. Again, only going about 25 mph or so luckily.

Craziest Bullstuf I have ever seen.

After posting in this thread last night, I went in to work today.. I just started delivering pizzas again, and on my second run tonight I passed another guy from our store... sitting in the middle of the road, cop behind him, Jeep Cherokee on the side of the road... and my co-worker's rim was sitting right in from of the Jeep!!!

On my way back by I stopped to see if I could help (jack, lugnuts, etc) and apparently, it was a futile effort... FOUR of the five lug studs on his car (late model Sentra) SHEARED OFF!!!!!! I have NEVER seen anything like that. Poor bugger, I felt REALLY bad for him because obviously his rim hit another car... there goes his insurance!

Craziest Bullstuf I have ever seen.

After posting in this thread last night, I went in to work today.. I just started delivering pizzas again, and on my second run tonight I passed another guy from our store... sitting in the middle of the road, cop behind him, Jeep Cherokee on the side of the road... and my co-worker's rim was sitting right in from of the Jeep!!!

On my way back by I stopped to see if I could help (jack, lugnuts, etc) and apparently, it was a futile effort... FOUR of the five lug studs on his car (late model Sentra) SHEARED OFF!!!!!! I have NEVER seen anything like that. Poor bugger, I felt REALLY bad for him because obviously his rim hit another car... there goes his insurance!

98% of the time, the shearing of lug bolts is caused by someone being overly zealous with tightening the lug nuts. There is a torque spec for those, but a lot of people, including tire shops, just tighten the nuts down as much as they can. WRONG!!!! Not only does that cause stressed lug bolts, but it can warp the rotor or drum also, not to mention rim damage at the mounting area.

My Brother was a good one for that. 6 foot cheater pipe on the breaker bar to tighten lugs on his 1-1/2 ton truck. He was always breaking lugs bolts, until I convinced him to "torque" the nuts.

I have twisted 4-ways, bent/broke 3/4" breaker bars or the sockets trying to break loose lug nut in the past. Really irritates the crap outta me.....

If your friend recently had tires mounted, or work done that involved tires being removed/replaced, I would suggest he go after that place of business for shoddy work ethics. He may be able to recoup damages caused by the incident.