Ultimate Subaru Message Board

which is better

well maybe i shold change it. i mean there all slightly capable off road vehicles with the 4wd and whatnot. so i guess i should ask is what is everyones favorate. looks, driveability, storage whatever i only have had a wagon so i dont have a comparison. to me though the brat looks like it would be fun to drive.

Ben

Which vehicle is better, wheather it be a ea82 wagon or a Brat or hatch or even a jeep is all a matter of personal preference. Myself, I like wagons, mainly because of the room inside for gear needed for a longer trip, and I can sleep comfortably in the back if needed. My loyale is limited in where it can go due to lack of gearing, and clearence, but I have supprised my self and others in what it can do and where it can go. Also, remember that 4-wheeling is 80% driver!! You can have the biggest, most build rig but it ain't worth squat if you don't know the baaics off 4-wheeling. That said, I have taken a Honda places that other folks had a hard time getting into with thier vehicles with more clearence. I have also been around and driving 4wd"s well before I ever had a Drivers licence(the honda was the first and only 2wd i ever owned) Sorry to ramble, pain meds are kickin in a little, but bottom line is its all personal preference

Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents

Driving is part of it, but being prepared, and having the appropriate knowledge and equipment is just as important.

As stock Subaru's go, they are all about equal. I can make a single mod to an EA series Subaru an go just about anywhere most mildly lifted Subaru's can go. All you need is appropriate tire pressure, a welded rear diff, and the skill to drive it. The only thing a "lift" gets you is ground clearance, and more agressive tires - both of which help for some types of terrain, but ultimately 90% of what a lifted rig can do you could also do in a stock vehicle with careful driving.

Don't offroad your 3AT - you'll blow that tranny. Your's is a street vehicle, or at most a snow vehicle with that transmission. Any severe angles and you'll screw it up.

GD

it doesnt matter is you have a tank. you'll get stuck.

Getting stuck is part of wheeling. Its happened to everyone who is at least half serious about 4 wheeling. its part of the fun, as long as you are prepared and know how tto properly use your equipment. This is also why it is good to use the buddy system, talking moore than one 4x4, but being prepared can make the difference between having a fun trip or a absolute nightmare. sorry, back to the subject at hand, which do y'all prefer to wheel?

Well yeah i know severe angles are a no no in an AT but you can still have some fun with it.. Just look at what your climbing and take it slow, Nothing too steep.. I'll just have to get a stick soob too..
My loyale is a 5 speed, but is limited in what it can do. Low end is pretty good, but single range leaves me runing out of gears on steep climbs, but it will lug all day at idleon the trail.

I don't know what i was thinking when i said that?? I know getting stuck and overcomeing obstucals and such is what 4wheeling is about.. I think i was not really paying attion to what i was saying.. Sorry for the mess up.

But it is better to go out with other people so if there is a problem someone is there...

Driving is part of it, but being prepared, and having the appropriate knowledge and equipment is just as important.

GD

Can't agree more. Can't tell you how many times I have come across someone who is stuck and they don't have anything as far as recovery equipment, or even a spare tire or jack in the vehicle:rolleyes:

My loyale is a 5 speed, but is limited in what it can do. Low end is pretty good, but single range leaves me runing out of gears on steep climbs, but it will lug all day at idleon the trail.

Heres what i think Subaru should have done with the loyale wagon's.

AT or MT D/R tranny with Diff locker with on off switch.

1"-2" inch's more ground clerance.

14" wheels.

And a tranny cooler incase of..

then it would have been great!

I wonder why they dident think of that? Maybe it would have cost too much? The base price for a MT Loyale wagon with AM/FM went for about $9,499 so with all those extra's i was think about that would probely jack the price to $16,000 or so.

It still would have been great!!:headbang:

• 1 month later...

If its d/r 4wd it should already have a 50/50 torque split so there isnt a need for the diff lock. the diff lock was only needed for the AWD cars.

and i dont think that subaru was gonna invest that much in the loyale series as they were just ment to be cheap alternatives to the legacys. they dont even have cup holders much less the things you mentioned.

I wonder why they dident think of that? Maybe it would have cost too much? The base price for a MT Loyale wagon with AM/FM went for about $9,499 so with all those extra's i was think about that would probely jack the price to $16,000 or so.

It still would have been great!!:headbang:

The Legacy was their flagship model - the Loyale was the budget model. All the things you asked for WERE availible on the Outbacks starting in 96 (except the D/R - at least not in the states). The objective with the Loyale was to NOT reduce sales of the Legacy's - so why would they do any of that? If you want all that stuff then get a late 80's wagon.

GD

I'm gonna say... EA82 wagon for the room. I hate to see a hatch lifted actually... there seems to be so few I just see that as "hacking" it up. Once it's lifted it's condition will only go downhill from there IMHO. Seeing an EA82 wagon get bashed doesn't bother me though.

I remember my 5spd D/R... You can climb some pretty steep angles with D/R, especially with good quality stock size tires. I could hang with the Jeep guys just fine... for the most part. Deep water... any soob's gonna float a little, or should I say swim. The most obvious advantage over Jeeps and other lifted rigs is their stability. I barely ever see them rolled over.

The 80's Subaru aren't classics. And probably pretty much won't ever be classics. I say give it what it deserves. More ground clearence, more power and most of all more mud!

Go out and have fun. Then get a newer one when there isn't anymore oldies left. Then repeat that step.

As for "which is better." Of cause it totally depends on what you need and what your going to dso with it. Some people need 4 seats, other only need 2. So there is no such thing as a "better" one, unless your talking offroad capabilities of cause.