Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CV Boot replacement

Where do you guys get your parts for axle or boot replacement? I'm finding it very hard to locate the proper parts, even the local Subaru dealership said they would have to order a boot for my 88 GL. The local NAPA store says they have one for a 1988 1800, would that work?

Also, can someone give me the dimensions for the special tool (washer?) that is needed to reinstall the axle in the steering knuckle? I'd rather make one than have to purchase one if possible.

Thanks

is yours EA81 or EA82? is your GL a hatch or a wagon? i think the hatch will be EA81 and wagon EA82.

can't help you on the boots, i order new axles from MWE (their information is on here, in the vendors forum probably). i hate working on axles, not worth my time. and i won't install any parts store axles, they suck.

It's a GL coupe, 1.8 EFI.

is yours EA81 or EA82? is your GL a hatch or a wagon? i think the hatch will be EA81 and wagon EA82.

can't help you on the boots, i order new axles from MWE (their information is on here, in the vendors forum probably). i hate working on axles, not worth my time. and i won't install any parts store axles, they suck.

Yes, I believe it is an EA82. If I understand right, the EA81 engine doesn't have timing belts and mine does (just replaced them a couple of months ago).

the EA81 and EA82 are both 1.8 liters. i'm guessing it's an EA82, but others more knowledgeable and will know.

if you go with new axles you'll just need to make sure it's a non turbo EA82 axle, you do not want turbo axles. the trick is to order parts based on a vehicle that DID NOT have an EA81 as an option, so you're gauranteed to get EA82 parts. for instance the GL had a variety of configurations, some with EA81 and some with EA82 so it's confusing trying to get the right parts somet times. if you ordered Subaru XT axle boots, those would all be EA82 and the same axles/boots that you need, so try looking up axle boots for an 88 Subaru XT.

Where do you guys get your parts for axle or boot replacement?

Thanks

Hi Alabass,

I bought two front axles from NAPA once, and had no problems with them over thousands of miles. It seems, YMMV with buying rebuilt at various locations. It was the first EA-82 I owned and the outer boots were blown.

I get complete axles from parts cars. A local salvage yard might be a good bet for you to grab the whole thing with good boots.

It can be tricky buying just the boot kits. Boot, clamps, replacement grease. You can spend a chunk of $$ and the quality varies. The difference in material and construction of the clamps alone can be considerable. You'll spend more time re-booting your axle than it would take to remove and replace with another one too. HTH

These days, I stack the old ones like cord wood. The real keepers are the ones that have never been rebuilt/molested, or click. I have on hand several new boot kits and 5 new stub axles should I ever need to rebuild some. I bought them on line for very low prices over time. I'm not looking foreward to that job tho.

Its alot easier to replace the axle than just the boot.

I disagree (and they don't call me "axlemaster" around town for nothing ;))

The inner joint can be dissasembled on the car, and if you have a lift doing the boots is much easier than doing the whole axle. A couple bolts, a roll pin, new grease and boots, and reassmble. Don't even need to remove the tire.

GD

Where do you guys get your parts for axle or boot replacement? I'm finding it very hard to locate the proper parts, even the local Subaru dealership said they would have to order a boot for my 88 GL.

Thanks

Boots:

http://www.car-stuff.com/store/index.php?N=1719+4294967012+11738&Ntk=Main&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&Ntt=boot&D=boot&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Npp=30

Subarule

i replaced both my front axles recently--the boots were tore up. called napa, checkers...they had a hard time even figuring out the part number i needed. didn't have any options in their computer for my 1980 1600 dl-5 hardtop, 2-door. they had coupe and sedan and hatchback and gl, but nothing dl. I think the axles i got were listed as gl coupe. anyway, they were the right part. i bought them from Discount Import Parts (503.659.7444), which is located here in portland. these guys are awesome--always have everything in stock and the cheapest prices. give 'em a call if you ever have any questions about parts, etc. staff really knows their stuff. was about $54 rebuilt, and $70 new. i think it was easier to replace the whole axle rather than just the boots.

good luck!

I had to replace all 4 boots on the front of my GL.

Was able to find the right ones through Shucks. (came with the clamps, grease, all of it) If I remember right they varied between outer and inner but they were like around $15 and $20 something.

I was able to tear my axles down completely without removing them from the knuckles.

Unfortunately even after buying the right tools it's hard to get the clamps to stay on good on the outer boot. Switched to stainless hoseclamps.

And one of my axles just started with the clicking. In a bad way.

I'm thinking if the boots have started to rot off your axles. The axles are proly near the end of thier life anyway. But it was alot cheaper at the time to clean, regrease, and reboot mine. And got me a few months. But now it's time to order some new axles.

Oh yeah, and replacing boots is a messy, sucky job (CV grease is great stuff!....). If you can find a deal on good axles I'd go that route.

The inner joint can be dissasembled on the car, and if you have a lift doing the boots is much easier than doing the whole axle. A couple bolts, a roll pin, new grease and boots, and reassmble. Don't even need to remove the tire.

GD

So go on then GD, you've peaked my interest...

How do you get the axle out of the DOJ? Do you take the boot off, remove the snap rings and pull out the inner/outer races and cage?

Is there enough leverage to swing the hub/wheel assembly outwards to get the cage out of the DOJ housing?

Steve

GD

Now, I've done this on a Justy. It involved streaching the boots but no problem there. Don't see why it wouldn't work on a EA-82.

i didnt read all the hubbub but i did this two days ago took me les than an houre. i just orderd a split boot it isa boot that has a split in it(go figure) and it is held to gether with the clamps on the axle and small nuts a nf boltt only costs 11 dollers at auto zone and i dint have to do anyhting but open the hood :) just my 2 cents. Rob,

How do you get the axle out of the DOJ? Do you take the boot off, remove the snap rings and pull out the inner/outer races and cage?

Um - no you pull the axle off the transmission, THEN you dissasemble the DOJ. But yes, you have the basic idea of how the boots go on....

Is there enough leverage to swing the hub/wheel assembly outwards to get the cage out of the DOJ housing?

See above.... and yes. You remove the inner lower control arm bolt, and the sway bar link. Two bolts, one roll pin - then whole assembly then can swing away with plenty of room to drop the axle down and service it.

Whole axles ARE cheaper than just boots (GCK's are $50 and free shipping on Amazon), but someone paying for LABOR will pay more for axles because there IS more labor involved in swapping the whole thing out. Removal from the hub is not required for boot jobs.

GD

The inner joint can be dissasembled on the car, and if you have a lift doing the boots is much easier than doing the whole axle. A couple bolts, a roll pin, new grease and boots, and reassmble.

Wow. I never thought of that... I do keep boots, spare axles, Etc. I like to have one ready to swap out.

:Flame:cv boots are the most problem i have!

Where do you guys get your parts for axle or boot replacement? I'm finding it very hard to locate the proper parts, even the local Subaru dealership said they would have to order a boot for my 88 GL. The local NAPA store says they have one for a 1988 1800, would that work?

Also, can someone give me the dimensions for the special tool (washer?) that is needed to reinstall the axle in the steering knuckle? I'd rather make one than have to purchase one if possible.

Thanks

Um - no you pull the axle off the transmission, THEN you dissasemble the DOJ. But yes, you have the basic idea of how the boots go on....

See above.... and yes. You remove the inner lower control arm bolt, and the sway bar link. Two bolts, one roll pin - then whole assembly then can swing away with plenty of room to drop the axle down and service it.

Whole axles ARE cheaper than just boots (GCK's are $50 and free shipping on Amazon), but someone paying for LABOR will pay more for axles because there IS more labor involved in swapping the whole thing out. Removal from the hub is not required for boot jobs.

GD

Ok, it was the roll pin that threw me. I had it down as a spring pin. Punch that out then slide the DOJ off the axle stub...

Gotchya.