Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have EBC Red Stuff brake pads in the Legacy GT 2004. They feel good, but they dont wear good. Has anyone else had experience with other EBC, Hawk, or anything else? Looking for performance, quiet, reasonable life.

thanks

i just run Napa premium pads on my car, nothing too special but i like them.

my VW I run Mintex pads not sure if they make them for Subarus but if they do im all over them:eek:

Mintex do make pads for Subarus. I use them, and I'm a big fan :banana:

Either standard pads, or add an "X" to the end of the part number to get the Xtreme pads which stand up to trackday abuse, but remain useful and quiet on the road.

Hawk also makes very good performance pads - and are probably easier to get on your side of the Atlantic.

I'd put the EBC Yellows on your list.

At present, I plan to use them when I swap out the OEMs on my WRX. BTW - the OEM pads have survived MUCH better than expected, even after 3 track events.

Also, Valovoline SynPower fluid might be worth a look, if your fluid's getting old, - good value for occasional high-performance demand.

to save a little money on OEM try here;

http://www.subarugenuineparts.com

you could also look here for info;

http://www.subarureview.com/

Carl

I have EBC Red Stuff brake pads in the Legacy GT 2004. They feel good, but they dont wear good. Has anyone else had experience with other EBC, Hawk, or anything else? Looking for performance, quiet, reasonable life.

Big question... do you track your car?

If not just use the OEM brake pads. They give you the best of all those worlds. Seriously.

If you track the car occasionally at a road course (the OEMS are still fine) but a slightly higher operating temp pad like the Hawk HP work good, too if you have stickier tires. If you say you drive your car hard enough on the street to need a better pad, I'll just throw some rolly eyes and walk away from this thread. If your pads are aggressive and you drive them on the street, you will never heat them up to their proper working temperature and you will eat your pads & rotors alive.

Take a browse through here to get some really good info: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/tech_white_papers.shtml

We've tried EBC pads on our rally car and didn't like them. We currently rally with the same pads I drive on the street and they perform awesome. Axxis/PBR Metal Master pads. Great initial feel and very fade resistant. I just ran a fresh set of these at Black River Stages and had smoke coming off the pads, but very little brake fade.

6 months ago I installed Akabono ProAct on the rear and their High Performance version on the fronts..good initial cold breaking in the morning.. no grinding sound..very smooth...no noise ever..quick brakeing response on the highway...at rockauto.com ..and don't forget to shave (file) down 1mm (slightly angled) from each pad length so they float more freely between the anti-rattle clips (subaru recommended procedure) ...and use synthetic silicone grease between the parts (backing plates, sliders etc)

never heard of that, where did you hear/see this? and what vehicles is that for, OEM pads too?
Thanks for pointing that out...I must have been sniffing my own "brain farts"..anyway, the info I gave was for my '01 Outback (2001 and up/all subaru models/Insiders report)..I did not first notice from the original question that it was for a Legacy GT (although that may be included there)

I love my Mintex pads on my VW. On a VW the original rears lasted 60k, the fronts 100k. At that time I changed them all to Mintex pads and new Brembo rotors.

How many cars get 100k out of original front brakes on an auto? Gotta be that german engineering. It looks like the Mintex are wearing even better and perform better.

I've installed the Wagners on VW's and one Subaru - they seemed pretty decent. I sold both of those cars so I don't know about the wear.

Anyone still use Bendix? I think Advance stocks Bendix rotors so I imagine they have Bendix pads. I stopped running them when they wanted to only replace them one time.

Dave

Mintex do make pads for Subarus. I use them, and I'm a big fan :banana:

You will not be able to find a "Mintex" around here; in the US, they are branded Axxis/PBR.

That said I'm very happy with my Axxis Ultimates. They're excellent performance street pads, but are very, very, very dusty. The BHP XPS, Hawk HP+ and Ferodo DS2500 are all pretty similar.