Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Locking diff

i have a 87 gl with ea82t with a rear diff of 3.7, i was wondering if you can weld those rear ends up so both tires can spin. I want to be untopable in the snow. i have been trying to look around here for info but am having a hard time.

Thanks Jason

Sure you can. Weld the spider gears to each other and to the case. Shove some bolts in the gear teeth and weld it all together. Done it several times myself - haven't had one break yet.

If you are really good, you can weld the spider gears in such a way that they have a limted rotation so there is just a few teeth of rotation in either direction. This allows some differentiating which can make turning tightly easier.

GD

I havenever driven a subaru with a locked rear in the snow, but plenty of other 4x4s with a locked rear in the snow, and they absolutly sucked! The slightest side hill, the rear was going every way but where I wanted to go, and on packed snow and ice, the rear wanted to come around all the time. I'll take a open diff and chains in the snow before a locker, but thats just my opinion.

I didn't know the part-time cars didn't have the LSD- good to know. Thanks,

Andy

Yep - part time cars were 3.9 diff ratio, and FT4WD's were 3.7. That's why you need to convert the LSD's to 3.9 for use on a part-time car. Or if you found one of the extremely rare XT6 FT4WD's with a rear LSD.... but I've never even *heard* of someone finding one of those.

Some Legacy's also had 3.9 diffs that weren't "open" - they were VLSD's, and really only good for street as they only lockup at higher speeds.

In any case, welded diffs are FAR superior off-road to the little Subaru LSD's. That's not to say you won't get some benefit from them, but it's not as much traction as welding will give you.

In snow.... they can be squirly at times. But if you have tires that can dig it's not a problem. If you have crappy tires then a welded diff will just make you lose control that much faster.

GD

Yep - part time cars were 3.9 diff ratio, and FT4WD's were 3.7. That's why you need to convert the LSD's to 3.9 for use on a part-time car. Or if you found one of the extremely rare XT6 FT4WD's with a rear LSD.... but I've never even *heard* of someone finding one of those.

Some Legacy's also had 3.9 diffs that weren't "open" - they were VLSD's, and really only good for street as they only lockup at higher speeds.

In any case, welded diffs are FAR superior off-road to the little Subaru LSD's. That's not to say you won't get some benefit from them, but it's not as much traction as welding will give you.

In snow.... they can be squirly at times. But if you have tires that can dig it's not a problem. If you have crappy tires then a welded diff will just make you lose control that much faster.

GD

Umm part time turbo cars were still a 3.7 though.....