Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Has anyone tried those eBay shop manuals on CD?

I'm looking for a factory service manual on ebay, and it seems like all I can find are these ones people are selling on CD. Has anyone tried them, and are they thorough and complete? I'm getting a '87 turbo wagon that has been fitted with a D/R 5spd, so I want to make sure I have plenty of information available to me. I'd rather have a hard copy to keep with me, but if a CD is all I can get, and it is good enough...

I'm looking for a factory service manual on ebay, and it seems like all I can find are these ones people are selling on CD. Has anyone tried them, and are they thorough and complete? I'm getting a '87 turbo wagon that has been fitted with a D/R 5spd, so I want to make sure I have plenty of information available to me. I'd rather have a hard copy to keep with me, but if a CD is all I can get, and it is good enough...

Why bother?

You can download the real deal 87 manual here:http://www.finleyweb.net/JonsStuff/SubaruDocumentation/tabid/54/Default.aspx

Why bother?

You can download the real deal 87 manual here:http://www.finleyweb.net/JonsStuff/SubaruDocumentation/tabid/54/Default.aspx

I always hate when people post these things after ive bought something.

Thanks for the link though,always helps to have more manuals.

This might be just me, but I kinda LIKE a manual ... something to hold, to take to the garage with you, something to get dirty ... I mean, I dunno - just printing up an individual page doesn't somehow feel like the same thing. TOTALLY a personal preference. Or maybe it's because I have the entire like 6-volume set - who knows? I have my Vmax manual on DVD ... but I honestly don't think I go to it like I would if it were a nice thick bent-cornered service manual.

I dunno ...

I agree. I found the FSM for my motorcycle online, and first thing I printed the whole thing out and stuck it in a binder. Not as good as a "real" book, but more to my liking, for sure.

When I get to work I'll check out that online one and see if it fits my needs. And print it out with company paper if it does!!

bought the mitchell one from ebay.

Invaluable for tool. I would pay two to three times the amount w/o hesitation.

It has helped a ton with the ej swap that I did.

I original bought it for info on my wife's SVX and I have used it for every car I own.

:banana:

BW

Sorry if this is a Noob question but I have to ask:

The EA82 service manual I downloaded from the link provided is listed as 1989 in the manual. Is this the same as a 1987 FSM? or should i look elsewhere for the manual for my '87 RX?

Thanks

Also (not meaning to look a gift horse in the mouth) it appears that chapter 3 is missing?

This might be just me, but I kinda LIKE a manual ... something to hold, to take to the garage with you, something to get dirty ... I mean, I dunno - just printing up an individual page doesn't somehow feel like the same thing. TOTALLY a personal preference. Or maybe it's because I have the entire like 6-volume set - who knows? I have my Vmax manual on DVD ... but I honestly don't think I go to it like I would if it were a nice thick bent-cornered service manual.

I dunno ...

I just keep a computer in the garage. It takes up less room than the ungodly number of manuals it stores, plus all the digitized manuals are searchable.

That said, I still have a complete 88 FSM set and a whole shelf full of saab, volvo, GMC and acura manuals.

Having both types is never a bad thing.

I dunno ...

I agree, but the manual for my outboard was on a CD and it worked OK. Couldn't find it anywhere else! Come to think of it, my '61 F250 manual was on CD also. They work OK...

You could print it all up and put it together and take it with ya I suppose!

I dunno ...

I agree....something about the actual manual I like...