Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What would it take?

I might be entering the silverstate classic next year.Im just wondering what it would take to get an EA82 wagon to average 95 mph for 90 miles in 70-100* heat?most likly it would be with my saab because the general consensus was just get in and drive.Im curious exactly what it would take to make a EA82 wagon do that(Im asking EA82 because they look better lowered than EA81's,EA81's look tougher lifted but just look strange lowered,EA82's can go both ways...)

As long as the cooling system is in good shape, all you would need is more power. You could:

A) Run a 2wd 5spd (much lighter than 4wd).

B) Find a 4EAT.

C) Wear a lead shoe.

You're definitely going to need a cup holder.

And a tailwind.

nipper

take off the front bumper or at least cut out the middle section - the bumper blocks so much airflow it's ridiculous. This won't help you with the average speed but it will, along with optimizing the existing cooling system, help you keep the car in a healthy temperature range.

Add a front air dam if you can, as well. It will divert air away from the underside of the car and into the radiator. (removing the A/C condensor will help a little, but if the system is charged, make sure the condenser is clean and just don't use it.. you should be OK).

Brian's right about the 4.11 - I would just run the 3.7 or 3.9 transmission that the car will have.. yank the front axles and put in stubs, and put in a 4.11 rear differential. The gear ratio would save a lot of RPMs.

I think that the only thing you'll need to keep it running cool is a big good quality rad, and even that might not be neccessary.

I've driven my XT turbo for extended periods (30mins atleast) at 125mph and the temp gauge never moved over 50% that was with a new single core rad and new OEM thermostat.

We all know turbos get very hot and thus so will the coolant. Since yours is NA you would be fine with a stock two core, BUT since it has to be reliable in very high temperatures, I would play it safe and put a bigger one in, just to be sure.

Brian's right about the 4.11 - I would just run the 3.7 or 3.9 transmission that the car will have.. yank the front axles and put in stubs, and put in a 4.11 rear differential. The gear ratio would save a lot of RPMs.

4.11 is a lower gear reduction. He would end up at higher RPMs. He'd need to go the other way. Best for that setup would be a 3.54 rear end from a SVX, or at least 3.7 from a Turbo or Automatic GL.

90mph for 90 miles will be easy, hell, i did that in my rx, without overheating, when i had cooling issues, lol. got lucky and didnt get pulled over on that trip, but i did coming home because of the hella driving lights on the hood, stupid va state troopers, the car was legal where registered in maryland.

but yeah, if you can et a stock ea82t ad 3.7 gearset, you should be fine, just make sure you have enough airflow to the radiator and id also reccomend getting a free flowing exhaust to reduce the exhaust temps under the hood. either go catless, get a cutout, or go with a high flow cat and free flow muffler.that should help a little bit wth keeping temps down. by no means is it a close comparison to a good cooling system though, fluch and fill the system before you go out there, make sure the radiator is good and that hte fans work. might also want to work out a cold water sprayer for the radiator, not sure if it would do much on a suby, but it couldnt hurt.

A stock EA82T car with a proper tune up, and new two row(thick core) rad will do that speed, I'ved owned two, and they both would. If your exhaust doesn't need to be street legal, replace it with straight pipe after the turbo, 2.5" I believe. Not only will it increase the power, it will keep the egt down by getting the hot exhaust out faster, and keeping the turbo cooler. Open up the air intake too. Increase boost to 10 psi or so.

Remove all roof racks, side trim, mirrors, wipers, anything to reduce drag. Lowering it would be good. Don't try to fit larger tires under it since this will increase drag on the engine. Just go with awesome Goodyears or something.

ROLL CAGE!! If your willing to enter the race, you've seen some of the wreck footage, so I'm sure no further explaining is necessary....

But I'm sure a carbed wagon with open exhaust and a weber would be just fine too.

basically, that and make sure that you have a good tune up and fresh fluids, ect...

A stock EA82T car with a proper tune up, and new two row(thick core) rad will do that speed, I'ved owned two, and they both would. If your exhaust doesn't need to be street legal, replace it with straight pipe after the turbo, 2.5" I believe. Not only will it increase the power, it will keep the egt down by getting the hot exhaust out faster, and keeping the turbo cooler. Open up the air intake too. Increase boost to 10 psi or so.

Remove all roof racks, side trim, mirrors, wipers, anything to reduce drag. Lowering it would be good. Don't try to fit larger tires under it since this will increase drag on the engine. Just go with awesome Goodyears or something.

ROLL CAGE!! If your willing to enter the race, you've seen some of the wreck footage, so I'm sure no further explaining is necessary....

But I'm sure a carbed wagon with open exhaust and a weber would be just fine too.