Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aviation EA82

This might not be the right place for it. But I was just reading over the thread named Oil Leak BS. We all know by experience how well our engines leak :) So my question is, it seems to be popular to use EA82's in small airplanes. Are they doing anything differently to seal the motors up? This is just out of curiosity btw, always looking to know more. Judging by GD's response in the last thread, this might be a good question for him.

The aviation industry has strict standards. I forgot what the rules are, but the engines are overhauled every so many hours. As GD said in the other thread, something along the lines of, complications at 20,000feet are deadly.

I'm not too sure if many use an ea82 for aviation though, with timing belts and that junk.

popular to use EA82's in small airplanes.
based on GD's comments this is rare or an anomaly, not popular. the confusion probably comes from the similarities between the EA81 and EA82. some of the companies that build EA81's for aircraft will do EA82 stuff for guys wanting them for cars.

Ahh, very cool, got some good information here I didn't know before. I had just remember seeing aircraft intakes and stuff for the EA82, but you guys are right, it probably isn't as popular. Like I said, I didn't start the thread for any particular reason, just to learn a little more. Thanks guys, and girls!

Johnson']Are they still held to the strict inspection standards?

I'm not sure of all the regs, but I'm pretty sure for one-off experimental aircraft they will inspect the thing and give thumbs up or thumbs down to flying it. They have daylight limitations (no flying in darkness), and you can't carry passengers that aren't licensed in certain catagories. That's all I really know about it, but I have ran across a few sites talking about the virtues of the various subaru engines in aircraft. Seen some pictures of EJ22's and 22T's installed in aircraft, etc. Never seen anything with an EA82 though :dead:

I sure wouldn't climb into such a contraption. I value my life too much. Would you hang from a cliff 20,000 feet high holding only one end of an EA82 timing belt? :eek:

GD

Back when Loyals were new, a repair / parts shop I frequented had a poster on their wall of an autogyro powered by an EA82.

A web search on EA82 autogyro still brings up hits.

Here's one:

http://www.biysk.ru/~samoletautogyr/index-2.html

Bottom of the page - engine options include EA82.

Another:

http://www.shortrunbookco.com/gyros/

"Would you hang from a cliff 20,000 feet high holding only one end of an EA82 timing belt?" :lol: Well said...

I had just searched "EA82 Aviation" and a whole bunch of conversion sites came up, along with a whole bunch for EJ's. Pretty neat stuff!

Are they doing anything differently to seal the motors up?

Yes, aircraft engines are sealed with an aviation grade gasket maker rtv silicone that is approved by the FAA and meets Military Specifications and a thread that runs from one side of the case to the other along the inside of the bolt holes. They are also overhauled according to the specific manufacturers TBO (time before overhaul) which can range from a few hundred hours on up. And obviously if an oil leak is found, and a good shop is doing the maintenance, it is fixed properly. Oil not only lubricates the engine but also controls the pitch of the propeller on aircraft having an adjustable pitch prop.

Johnson']Are they still held to the strict inspection standards?

No, experimental aircraft are not held to the same regulations as certificated aircraft, thats why they are more dangerous. Experimental aircraft are usually homebuilt, a licensed A&P mechanic can build it from frame up, it must still be inspected by an Authorized Inspector and checked for airworthiness but its still a homebuilt, if u feel safe flying in it than go for it. Older Military aircraft that have been purchased by civilians are also in the Experimental category because that did not require a Type Certificate for military use.

As this subject is very near and dear to my heart I will add my two cents. "Certified" engines typically use a single silk thread between the two halves of the case looped around the through bolts and overlapped at the end. There may or may not be any other sealers used depending on the shop. Automotive conversions fall into the Experimental catagory and the builder can pretty much use anything they want as long as it can be approved as "air worthy". The airplane I am building has already been powered by a normally asperiated EA-82. After several discusions with the builder, timing belts and head gaskets were not his problem. He kept trying to get more power out of it with all kinds of aftermarket parts. Long story short, he started cracking things. He now has a Jabaru in the EA-82's place. The 81 is more popular primarilly because it is lighter than the 82, but they are typicall carburated and in an airplane that adds problems that go away with fuel injection. All of this is why I am using a stock EA-82T, TD04, intercooler, oil cooler, synthetic oil, properly sized radiator, stock computer, stock fuel injection, and knock control. I will also be using a redrive (single speed transmission) between the prop and the engine so the engine will see 4700 rpm for short periods, but will have to run at 4000 to 4200 on a regular basis. My airplane will be certified under the experimental catagory through the FAA. It will have to have a yearly inspection to maintain certification and appropriate entries made in its logbook. Since I am the builder I will be issued the authorization to inspect it myself. Although it is not required, I do already have my A & P license. Once finished, the aircraft is given a period of testing usuall 40 hours that only the pilot can fly the aircraft. After this initial test period you can carry as many pasengers as you have seats for, in any kind of weather, day or night, as long as the airplane is properly instrumented. I have been a member of this site for years and gained imensly from the knowledgable people here. I have contacted several for their inputs and will continue to do so in the future as my engine rebuild continues. I will be sure to post a couple of photos when I have it running on the test stand.

Subpilot